Favre and the Jets

eball

Did anyone listen to Favre's comments during his PC with the NY media? Holy crap. He all but admitted his desire to go to Minnesota was "vindictive" -- a result of the Packers not welcoming him back with open arms.

I think Brett wants to be in NY about as much as I'd like to be in Hattiesburg. More of Brett's comments: "I don't know what I'm getting myself into" and "I don't know anyone in that locker room."

One thing has crystallized for me over the past few days with respect to the Favre saga -- Brett really wanted to come back to the Packers and try to win the Super Bowl. That's it. Once they shunned him, however, it became personal. That is the sole reason he will be wearing Jet green this season -- he couldn't allow himself to bow out once Green Bay said no.

This will end ugly, which is a shame for such a great player and one of my all-time favorites. Learning a completely new offense in three weeks? Playing against defenses and personnel he rarely sees? Yes, football is football, but to presume Favre will pick right up where he left off is naive at best.

From a Bills fan's perspective, this situation doesn't bother me one bit.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone listen to Favre's comments during his PC with the NY media? Holy crap. He all but admitted his desire to go to Minnesota was "vindictive" -- a result of the Packers not welcoming him back with open arms.

I think Brett wants to be in NY about as much as I'd like to be in Hattiesburg. More of Brett's comments: "I don't know what I'm getting myself into" and "I don't know anyone in that locker room."

One thing has crystallized for me over the past few days with respect to the Favre saga -- Brett really wanted to come back to the Packers and try to win the Super Bowl. That's it. Once they shunned him, however, it became personal. That is the sole reason he will be wearing Jet green this season -- he couldn't allow himself to bow out once Green Bay said no.

This will end ugly, which is a shame for such a great player and one of my all-time favorites. Learning a completely new offense in three weeks? Playing against defenses and personnel he rarely sees? Yes, football is football, but to presume Favre will pick right up where he left off is naive at best.

I did a quick run down of the teams I expect the Jets to beat on their schedule (I apologize for giving the Bills the away loss to them)

Miami

Arizona

Cincinnati

Oakland

Kansas City

Saint Louis

Denver

San Francisco

Buffalo

Seattle

Miami

That's 11 wins. I'm sorry to disagree with you, but I don't see an ugly part for Favre and the Jets this season. I wouldn't be so quick to discount them. Fortunately the Bills have the same easy schedule.

I watched that last night and felt the EXACT same way. He had a look and tone that made me think he wanted to retire right there on the spot. Although he will never admit it, if he could do it all over again, no way is he playing football right now. It was just painful watching him sit through the whole media session. Too bad his memory could not have been an MVP type year in Green Bay. He was one of my favorites as well and 16 great years have been tarnished for Green Bay fans and Favre fans alike.

I completely agree. He did not sound like he was excited at all to be there, and he sounded more hurt by green bay. That was like watching someone explain a really bad break up, while trying to pretend his rebound fling was something he was excited about. He looked more embarrassed to be there than excited

Not to hijack the thread, but was I the only one who, when scanning the TBD front page and saw a headline: "Bills Should Have Pursued Trade for Favre" immediately knew that Bob Matthews was the author?

I heard on WFAN in NY that the Bills and a fourth team did pursue or at least showed a serious interest in Favre. Sorry, but I don't remember who the reporter was or whether it was factual or not.

I did a quick run down of the teams I expect the Jets to beat on their schedule (I apologize for giving the Bills the away loss to them)

Miami

Arizona

Cincinnati

Oakland

Kansas City

Saint Louis

Denver

San Francisco

Buffalo

Seattle

Miami

That's 11 wins. I'm sorry to disagree with you, but I don't see an ugly part for Favre and the Jets this season. I wouldn't be so quick to discount them. Fortunately the Bills have the same easy schedule.

Fixed.

6 wins. Favre will toss more picks than TDs. Jets place 3rd in the AFC East. After end of the season, Favre hints he may retire.

Favre is going to have a real tough time this year. GB is absolutely stacked. Now you go to a Jets team who is built themselves ala the Daniel Snyder blue print. Find a big name and throw him money. It takes a few years for a line to gel, we are a testament to that.

Woody and Faneca are decent pickups but put all of those guys together and its hard to get everyone clicking.

For you fantasy players Aaron Rodgers will do very well this year. He is my dark horse. Knows the system in and out and has the tools. There is a minimal learning curve once he gets on the field. Great 4-5th round snag.

Favre is going to have a real tough time this year. GB is absolutely stacked. Now you go to a Jets team who is built themselves ala the Daniel Snyder blue print. Find a big name and throw him money. It takes a few years for a line to gel, we are a testament to that.

Woody and Faneca are decent pickups but put all of those guys together and its hard to get everyone clicking.

For you fantasy players Aaron Rodgers will do very well this year. He is my dark horse. Knows the system in and out and has the tools. There is a minimal learning curve once he gets on the field. Great 4-5th round snag.

Green Bay is Stacked????

I wouldn't be so ready to right him off this season. This press conference he just had was during the initial "shock" phase of the trade, but you have to figure he can no go 2 ways. Just go through the motions in NY to hurt the picks that GB will receive for him, and then retire at the end of the year (not likely, I think he has too much pride to do that), or he gets over the shock of being sent to NY, and plays his @ss off this year to prove to the Packers that dealing him was the worst move they have ever made and try to make them regret the decision. or he could just decide to up and retire again before the start of the season (after they deal pennington to Miami of course) and say that his heart was no longer in the game. Then ESPN can run their Favre specials again and we can all hear how great he is all over again!

As for the interception thing, you do realise that his entire career he has been known for throwing a fair amount of picks every year, and yet he is still a first ballot HoFer?

<snip>

Way to ignore the context of the topic, man...but I'm not surprised.

Not to hijack the thread, but was I the only one who, when scanning the TBD front page and saw a headline: "Bills Should Have Pursued Trade for Favre" immediately knew that Bob Matthews was the author?

Hilarious. I thought the exact same thing, and almost made that the subject of this topic before I decided to go a different direction. Matthews is so out of touch it's pathetic.

Green Bay is Stacked????

I wouldn't be so ready to right him off this season. This press conference he just had was during the initial "shock" phase of the trade, but you have to figure he can no go 2 ways. Just go through the motions in NY to hurt the picks that GB will receive for him, and then retire at the end of the year (not likely, I think he has too much pride to do that), or he gets over the shock of being sent to NY, and plays his @ss off this year to prove to the Packers that dealing him was the worst move they have ever made and try to make them regret the decision. or he could just decide to up and retire again before the start of the season (after they deal pennington to Miami of course) and say that his heart was no longer in the game. Then ESPN can run their Favre specials again and we can all hear how great he is all over again!

As for the interception thing, you do realise that his entire career he has been known for throwing a fair amount of picks every year, and yet he is still a first ballot HoFer?

Jenning, Driver, Martin, James Jones all had a solid year. Jennings and Jones are HR threats every time they touch it and Driver is great in the middle

Not to mention Grant, Brandon Jackson and Wynn + a very good OL.

And I love that Kid Jordy Nelson by the way. He is one to watch.

yes I would say they are stacked.

Miami

Arizona

Cincinnati

Oakland

Kansas City

Saint Louis

Denver

San Francisco

Buffalo

Seattle

Miami

Similar to the post above, but my calculations show an additional loss and only 5 wins, they'll also lose to the Cards.

Quick question 1bills fan: Which AFC East team are you a fan of again? Just seems like you like to give far more credit and love to the Jests than you give to our beloved Bills.

Jenning, Driver, Martin, James Jones all had a solid year. Jennings and Jones are HR threats every time they touch it and Driver is great in the middle

Not to mention Grant, Brandon Jackson and Wynn + a very good OL.

And I love that Kid Jordy Nelson by the way. He is one to watch.

yes I would say they are stacked.

If they are stacked, so are the Bills. How do you think some of those guys will look without a HoF QB throwing to them, and teams no longer having to respect Brett beating them with a pass?

Brett Farve has an ego like every QB in the NFL. He also deserves a ton of respect for what he did with that franchise. He helped bring it out of the dark ages in his time and make the packers a feared team again. I think that Brett Favre thought he could come back at anytime and get welcomed back with open arms. He was wrong but i don't blame him for thinking that. Giving 16 years of your body to that team has to mean something. Superbowls, playoffs, MVP's, etc.... i hear stories all the time about his toughness. I heard a story how he walked into the stadium on crutches, played the game, and walked out of the stadium on crutches. How many people in the NFL would do that now. it seems alot of NFL players cry when they get a hangnail. So no i don't blame Favre for takign it personal when they told him sorry we don't want you after he decided to come back.

I also find it amusing that the Packers think they have a better shot with Rodgers then Favre to win a Superbowl. The packers were deathly afraid of a Viking team with Favre on it. If they can't beat the vikings with Favre how do they expect to beat one of the powerhouse AFC teams. There are alot more teams contending to go to the superbowl then the NFC does.

It also drives me insane that people keep talking about how this saga has gone on for years and it's Favre's fault. There year is the first time i saw Favre be somewhat of a drama queen. The years prior the media was hounding him about if he would retire the day he was cleanign out his locker after the season. There was alot of speculation when he had the two bad years. I think the guy deserves some respect from the media for trying to figure otu his life. I think he would never say yes/no because he didn't know how the Packers Organization felt about him returning until a later time. I personnally think the media has turned this into a bigger story then it deserves. When a story breaks mentioning that there is a flight plan listed from Mississippi to GreenBay and that it could be Favre it's alittle rediculous.

I hope Favre does well in NY with the Jets just not when they play the Bills.

If they are stacked, so are the Bills. How do you think some of those guys will look without a HoF QB throwing to them, and teams no longer having to respect Brett beating them with a pass?

Outside of Evans, Lynch and Parrish we do not have an established threat. Rodgers had been in the league for 3 years waiting for his shot. He couldnt have stepped into a better scanrio to succeed. We all saw the real favre in January against the Giants. Rodgers will be just fine in GB. PLus playing the NFC North is nothing ti write home about.

Brett Farve has an ego like every QB in the NFL. He also deserves a ton of respect for what he did with that franchise. He helped bring it out of the dark ages in his time and make the packers a feared team again. I think that Brett Favre thought he could come back at anytime and get welcomed back with open arms. He was wrong but i don't blame him for thinking that. Giving 16 years of your body to that team has to mean something. Superbowls, playoffs, MVP's, etc.... i hear stories all the time about his toughness. I heard a story how he walked into the stadium on crutches, played the game, and walked out of the stadium on crutches. How many people in the NFL would do that now. it seems alot of NFL players cry when they get a hangnail. So no i don't blame Favre for takign it personal when they told him sorry we don't want you after he decided to come back.

I also find it amusing that the Packers think they have a better shot with Rodgers then Favre to win a Superbowl. The packers were deathly afraid of a Viking team with Favre on it. If they can't beat the vikings with Favre how do they expect to beat one of the powerhouse AFC teams. There are alot more teams contending to go to the superbowl then the NFC does.

It also drives me insane that people keep talking about how this saga has gone on for years and it's Favre's fault. There year is the first time i saw Favre be somewhat of a drama queen. The years prior the media was hounding him about if he would retire the day he was cleanign out his locker after the season. There was alot of speculation when he had the two bad years. I think the guy deserves some respect from the media for trying to figure otu his life. I think he would never say yes/no because he didn't know how the Packers Organization felt about him returning until a later time. I personnally think the media has turned this into a bigger story then it deserves. When a story breaks mentioning that there is a flight plan listed from Mississippi to GreenBay and that it could be Favre it's alittle rediculous.

Agreed, I think he only wanted to play for GB and thats it. Once they said you are not in our future plans like any of us would have said ok I will stick it to you twice a year then. He either wanted to go to Minny or Chi, thats it. The Jets were the furthest thing from GB ever playing against him.

Theres no doubt a motivated Favre is unbelievably dangerous but his skills are starting to diminish. That presser yesterday was painful to watch, at any second I thought he was going to stand up and shout FU Ted Thompson.

Agreed, I think he only wanted to play for GB and thats it. Once they said you are not in our future plans like any of us would have said ok I will stick it to you twice a year then. He either wanted to go to Minny or Chi, thats it. The Jets were the furthest thing from GB ever playing against him.

Theres no doubt a motivated Favre is unbelievably dangerous but his skills are starting to diminish. That presser yesterday was painful to watch, at any second I thought he was going to stand up and shout FU Ted Thompson.