Peters' apologists beware...

eball

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see Evans shake double teams and be more consistent in his play before we call him irreplaceable. Wide Receivers, in general, are replaceable. #1 receivers change teams every year and are seemingly available in the free agent market -- look no further than last year's Super Bowl teams, both of whom featured receivers signed in free agency.

Franchise Left Tackles? A different story.

You are right, look at FA this year. The Bills could have very easily replaced Evans as the #1 WR. #1 WR's are available every year, thats true, no one says they are great WR's, just that they were #1's on their teams. There are also starting LT's avaialble every year too.

You don't see franchise WR's avaible in FA either, because teams don't let players like that walk all the time either. You compared just #1 WR's being available to Franchise LT's being available.

Bill, respectfully, please put down the Kool Aid already.

There are 53 players on a team...Peters is a great player but if the guy wont communicate or show up

you have to make due with what you have.

The team played their hearts out last year with many a 1st string player on IR..Do you really think with

all the moves and positive energy around the BILLS right now that the 53 guys that take the field are going

to go breasts up cuz they are down 1 player ??

His agent and Brandon have talked. It is not a communications issue. It is a money issue. Dollars. Lots of them. He wants a new deal this year and they don't want to give him one. Sooner or later, someone will give in. The idea that he would have a new deal if he just came to camp is simply not true. The team has said clearly that they expect him to honor the committment he made two years ago. It is a stalemate. Not exactly unheard of at this time of the year. I can understand the team's point but not in light of what they did for Schobel last year and the ridiculous money they are paying Kelsay. We got an all pro year out of him for relative peanuts. If they want to make a point, do it with someone other than Peters.

Jauron wasn't the OC or playcaller last year -- those duties belonged to Steve Fairchild, who is thankfully gone now. Get your facts straight. There is not one shred of evidence Jauron influenced what plays were called by Fairchild last season. Not one.

It is true IMHO that Fairchild really sucked as an OC last year. However, this does not let Jauron off the hook as the HC hires the OC and has the responsibility for making sure he performs.

The buck ultimately stops for on field performance with the HC and he should not escape blame because one of the chief lieutenants he hired did not get the job done.

This being said, I think you deal with the issue not by firing the HC but by requiring him to get better performance out of the OC. The good news is that we were able to switch because Fairchild went off to a better paying job.

Hmmm, yeah, i think I remember that game, it was wet, and by the third quarter I was freezing my @ss off standing on my feet all game in the 100 level at RWS. Yeah, its all coming back to me now. And If I remember correctly, the Bills didn't lose that game because Peters went down. I think the weather played a bit of a factor, along with the future SB winners, the Giants, playing a better game after the Bills took a big lead to start the game.

Did Trent Edwards get Sacked a ton more without Peters? Did he get injured alot more without Peters on the left side?

Who says Walker can't hold his own at LT, or Chambers at RT?

Who says? People with eyes.

His agent and Brandon have talked. It is not a communications issue. It is a money issue. Dollars. Lots of them. He wants a new deal this year and they don't want to give him one. Sooner or later, someone will give in. The idea that he would have a new deal if he just came to camp is simply not true. The team has said clearly that they expect him to honor the committment he made two years ago. It is a stalemate. Not exactly unheard of at this time of the year. I can understand the team's point but not in light of what they did for Schobel last year and the ridiculous money they are paying Kelsay. We got an all pro year out of him for relative peanuts. If they want to make a point, do it with someone other than Peters.

Where did you get this information from? Do you have an inside source close to negotiations? Cause everything thats been made public says that the Bills have had no contact with Jason, and very little conversation with his agent, as most of their conversations were in regards tohis other client, James Hardy, getting his deal worked out. No where has it ever been said the Bills refuse to pay him more money, and that its a money issue, they have just taken the stance that they will not re-negotiate until he Reports to Training Camp

Who says? People with eyes.

So you have seen what the bills offensive line looks like in a game situation with Chamber as a RT and Walker at LT? You have seen with your eyes first hand that those players can't play worth beans at those positions?

Have you attended any of the Training camp practices this offseason to even see what they look like in practice????

Sounds more like people with assumptions, not eyes

Where did you get this information from? Do you have an inside source close to negotiations? Cause everything thats been made public says that the Bills have had no contact with Jason, and very little conversation with his agent, as most of their conversations were in regards tohis other client, James Hardy, getting his deal worked out. No where has it ever been said the Bills refuse to pay him more money, and that its a money issue, they have just taken the stance that they will not re-negotiate until he Reports to Training Camp

Brandon did say in an interview that they expect Peters to honor the contract but he needs to be in camp to talk about it. They said they will not talk contractt till he shows. End of story, done deal.

You don't see franchise WR's avaible in FA either, because teams don't let players like that walk all the time either. You compared just #1 WR's being available to Franchise LT's being available.

Problem with your logic.

Lee Evans is NOT a franchise #1 receiver. He's a pretty good #1 receiver, but has done nothing to distinguish himself from other #1 receivers around the league.

Jason Peters IS a franchise left tackle.

Problem with your logic.

Lee Evans is NOT a franchise #1 receiver. He's a pretty good #1 receiver, but has done nothing to distinguish himself from other #1 receivers around the league.

Jason Peters IS a franchise left tackle.

I don't know if I would rule out saying that Evans isn't a franchise WR. Looking at what he has done over his career with multiple offensive co-ordinators, coaches, and QB's, on some pretty bad teams, I would say he could be a season away from being one one of the better WR's in the league. As a WR, you rely alot more on players surrounding you to make you look better. A LT relys on his guard and the rest of the o-line to make him look good. You can have the best WR on your team, but he is gonna be crap if you don't have a guy that can get him the ball, or another weapon lining up on the other side of the field to take some of the pressure off of him. Do you think Moss would have had anywhere close to the season he had if it wasn't for Brady and teams could forget about the rest of the WR's and throw all their coverage on him?

Brandon did say in an interview that they expect Peters to honor the contract but he needs to be in camp to talk about it. They said they will not talk contractt till he shows. End of story, done deal.

he shows up and reports to TC, he is honoring his contract. He is currently under contract to play football for them at his current rate. By sitting out, he is not doing that, therefore he is not honoring his contract. You then say that Brandon said that they will not talk contract til he shows up, that doesn't sound like the Bills want to force him to play out the remaining years on his deal

The Bills OL will likely suck if Langston Walker is the LT. He is a very capable OT but is a mauler and extremely slow. He's effective in pass blocking when he can take two slow steps back and push his man to the outside. Quick good rushers coming from his left side will likely be able to beat him repeatedly, especially with spin moves to the inside once he knows he can be beat by speed and over-compensates. Not to mention that the right side of our OL will get crushed because we have no legitimate back-ups.

No need to worry though, Peters will be playing LT against Seattle. :cry: But the cohesiveness of the line will now take into the season to take place unless Peters comes in within a week or so, which is possible.

There doesn't need to be any communication between the Bills and Peters himself. That is why this is clearly and obviously all about money. ALL money issues are done by the agent, 100%.

Brandon has said he has talked to the agent on at least a couple occasions, just that the conversations haven't been long. But they have spoken. There is zero doubt it was about a new contract this year.

Three different writers, and maybe more, including Bills beat writers and national sportswriters, have reported that the Bills officials are insisting that Peters play this year under his current contract. So even if he does come to camp, they are not going to give him what his agent wants, a new deal right now. That is why there is no more need for communication. Every single indication leads to that conclusion.

AMEN. I wonder if he reads the bills brass quotes on this in the paper? Players do this every year, LJ for the Chiefs did it last year, and once he showed up to camp he got paid. I'm not too worried as of yet, b/c I'd rather have a healthy Peters come Sept 7th; but I'd like to see him get into camp at least in the next week or two. His agent is a huge dick in negotiations...so i read.

So will you be on Evans side next season if he holds out after getting a new deal this offseason and he makes the Pro Bowl? I mean, he's obviously replaceable since only Peters is irreplaceable. What about Marshawn? Would you be on his side too? It would only be his second season as a starter at his current position and he is playing on a rookie contract, A spot in the Pro Bowl should mean more money for him.

How did the bills set this up themselves? They never forced Peters to sign the 5 year deal back when he was still an "up and coming player". He agreed to the deal. And no one (I don't even remember seeing the Bills FO ever say that they want him to play out this year before they negotiate with him) is saying he should have to play out his contract, just that he needs to show up to camp first and open the communications line. I remember seeing posters here say that they think the Bills should be the ones to open the communication lines which is assanine in a negotiation situation. The Bills signed Walker and Dockery as established FA's, and they had to pay what they did because they were FA's and the were some of the better ones available at the time. This is a very similar situation to what happened with Schoebel. He felt underpayed as a Pro Bowl DE, getting paid less then the new deal they gave Kelsay. The difference is, he shwoed up to camp and did what he was asked to do by the team, and they re-negotiated. Peters isn't doing that, and thats why the Bills are taking the stance they are with him. Its not because they think they can get away with saving money on him, or because of the color of his skin like someone suggested before, or because they don't think he is any good. They just don't initiate negotiations with players, and they don't negotiate with players that refuse to show up to camp.

If this situation is going to get resolved. Peters needs to show up to camp and show them he is ready to play, then if the Bills refuse to talk, he has all the reason in the world to sit out because he met their initial demand, to show up and open lines of communication. Peters is not smart. He ahs seen first hand that the Bills will take care of him if he does what he asks and shows up. They did it already for Schoebel while he ahs been here.

It's the Bizzaro world of the naysayers. Anything they can imagine to bolster their constant harping of Bills management magically becomes fact.

PTR

It is true IMHO that Fairchild really sucked as an OC last year. However, this does not let Jauron off the hook as the HC hires the OC and has the responsibility for making sure he performs.

The buck ultimately stops for on field performance with the HC and he should not escape blame because one of the chief lieutenants he hired did not get the job done.

This being said, I think you deal with the issue not by firing the HC but by requiring him to get better performance out of the OC. The good news is that we were able to switch because Fairchild went off to a better paying job.

All true -- we'll never know if Jauron would have fired Fairchild after the season, but thankfully the decision was made for him.

You really have to wonder what the post-game coaches review meetings were like after some of those offensive performances last year. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall -- did anyone challenge Fairchild's gameplans or play calls? What were his responses?

That's the sort of stuff we'll never see or hear, but would be so entertaining and clarifying. We just don't know what sort of accountability was demanded.

This is also the reason, by the way, that blanket statements such as "Jauron does this" or "Jauron does that" are pretty inane. If you're not on the inside, you just don't know.

There doesn't need to be any communication between the Bills and Peters himself. That is why this is clearly and obviously all about money. ALL money issues are done by the agent, 100%.

Brandon has said he has talked to the agent on at least a couple occasions, just that the conversations haven't been long. But they have spoken. There is zero doubt it was about a new contract this year.

Three different writers, and maybe more, including Bills beat writers and national sportswriters, have reported that the Bills officials are insisting that Peters play this year under his current contract. So even if he does come to camp, they are not going to give him what his agent wants, a new deal right now. That is why there is no more need for communication. Every single indication leads to that conclusion.

I agree that they have certainly talked, it's all about money, and likely there's a huge gap between the two, which is why there is no communication.

However, The Buffalo News quotes Brandon as saying it's it's difficult to have discussions with someone who's not here.

NFL.com, USA Today, and ESPN all confirm Brandon has said he's open to negotiating a new contract with Peters, but only if the player begins attending team functions.

and Chris Brown quotes Brandon as touting their record of renegotiating existing contracts as long as those guys are honoring their existing deals. Translation: they're here, working hard, taking part in what the team is trying to do.

I'm not sure how you can insist that the FO won't redo his current deal this year. Brandon never says or even hints that a new contract is only possible after this season. He only says show up first and then we'll talk.