Goodell won't reinstate Favre

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a link to some of this info...

It says Goddell won't reinstate him "today", and that the team and Favre are still talking about the marketing deal (which may have been made to him around the time of his retirement and isn't a recent offer - according to McCarthy)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

Doesn't explicitly state it in that link, but if Goodell does reinstate Favre, the Packers have just 24 hours to decide whether to cut or activate him.

I think the commish has to reinstate Farve if he files the paper work.

The commish may delay it a little while, but I dont think he can just say no.

Im still trying to figure out why the commish is even involved.

The Commish is involved because the Packers are friggin' idiots.

Could not agree with you more! :unsure:

Goodell should not be involved with this. Remember when Barry Sanders was in the same situation as Favre. Wanted to play, but not for the Lions. His only choice was to play for the Lions. Goodell's involvement, IMO, sets a bad precedent. It will be interesting to see what he does, and how it affects things down the line.

No idea why he wouldn't. Maybe he won't do it right away while the Packers seem to be offering Favre $20M over 10 years to work for the Pack in a non-football capacity (read: stay retired, quit being stupid)

PTR

Some players actually play for the love of the game not $$$$. They should be applauded.

The Packers are idiots? What am I missing here? Let's walk through this from the top....

Favre decided to retire when the season ended. He had been openly contemplating doing so for several seasons, seriously enough that the Packers spent a 1st round pick on Rodgers several years ago.

Then, in March, Favre changes his mind and tells them he wants to play. The Packers say "welcome back", and make all the necessary travel and other arrangements, only to have Favre change his mind again and tell them he's decided to stay retired.

So, the Packers have to move on. They draft a QB in the 2nd round, and another one later in the draft. They spend their entire offseason and minicamps retooling their offense to better suit the players currently on their roster, in particular Rodgers.

Now, essentially at the very last minute, after the Packers have spent millions of dollars making plans assuming Favre is no longer available, he jumps back in and says "I changed my mind. (again)"

How did you expect them to react? "Never mind we pissed away a 2nd round pick on a QB and spent our entire offseason preparing to move on without you." Get real. They're trying to run a business, and Favre is !@#$ing with them. Enough is enough.

What did the Packers management do wrong? Essentially nothing.

What did Favre do wrong? Pretty much everything.

Goodell, who is a businessman, recognizes that Favre has been outrageously unprofessional in how he has conducted himself in all of this, and is using his discretion to stall Favre's reinstatement for a few days/weeks hoping the matter can be resolved without further embarrassment to the league.

The Packers are idiots? What am I missing here? Let's walk through this from the top....

Favre decided to retire when the season ended. He had been openly contemplating doing so for several seasons, seriously enough that the Packers spent a 1st round pick on Rodgers several years ago.

Then, in March, Favre changes his mind and tells them he wants to play. The Packers say "welcome back", and make all the necessary travel and other arrangements, only to have Favre change his mind again and tell them he's decided to stay retired.

So, the Packers have to move on. They draft a QB in the 2nd round, and another one later in the draft. They spend their entire offseason and minicamps retooling their offense to better suit the players currently on their roster, in particular Rodgers.

Now, essentially at the very last minute, after the Packers have spent millions of dollars making plans assuming Favre is no longer available, he jumps back in and says "I changed my mind. (again)"

How did you expect them to react? "Never mind we pissed away a 2nd round pick on a QB and spent our entire offseason preparing to move on without you." Get real. They're trying to run a business, and Favre is !@#$ing with them. Enough is enough.

Goodell, who is a businessman, recognizes that Favre has been outrageously unprofessional in how he has conducted himself in all of this, and is using his discretion to stall Favre's reinstatement for a few days/weeks hoping the matter can be resolved without further embarrassment to the league.

Bullseye.

The only part I can't figure out is why the Packers would want to pay Favre to not play. They're talking about this $25MM 'non-playing' role but why? Is this really just so the Packers don't get painted as the 'bad guy' by the media idiots? Are they really that afraid of him helping another team? I really don't get why they can't simply trade him to a non-division opponent. There have to be teams that would welcome him (i.e., NY Jets) and get the Packers a draft pick in return.

Don, this was an excellent post and you make some great points. But why, then, if the Packers are ready to move on, do they not simply release Favre and allow him to continue his career elsewhere? This whole "we won't let him go to a team in our division" b.s. is what is keeping this from being a relatively simple matter.

The Packers are either willing to move on without Favre or they are not, but they want to also control where he goes if they don't want him -- that ain't right.

Bullseye.

The only part I can't figure out is why the Packers would want to pay Favre to not play. They're talking about this $25MM 'non-playing' role but why? Is this really just so the Packers don't get painted as the 'bad guy' by the media idiots? Are they really that afraid of him helping another team? I really don't get why they can't simply trade him to a non-division opponent. There have to be teams that would welcome him (i.e., NY Jets) and get the Packers a draft pick in return.

As I said in the other post, Favre doesn't want to go to any old team; he wants to play for a contender. And yes the Packers are worried that if he goes to a divisional team he'll help them beat the Packers. That would be their ultimate nightmare, especially if Rodgers struggles throughout the season.

Spot on, Don.

I don't see how anyone who looks at this rationally and objectively could reach a different conclusion.

If Favre wants to suit up again because he loves and misses playing the game, then why would he even consider the Packers' 10 yr/ $20M "marketing" deal?

Because they won't let him compete for the QB job in Green Bay, and they'll only trade him to teams he doesn't want to play for. He's been backed into a corner. Whatever you think about Favre's wishy-washiness over retirement is irrelevant. The Packers should release him if they don't want him.