Peters info per Chris Brown

I didn't want this to get lost in the already super long threads...

I asked Chris Brown if any of Peter's linemates had heard from him. He said no one has indicated they've heard from him.

To me, this is a bad sign, it's a sign he is preparing to hold out for an extended period... This is a unique situation as has been discussed. Someone must be feeding his ego and making him think he doesn't need to prove anything... Like Jerry Glanville said, the NFL stands for Not For Long. And spending a season in your prime out of the game isn't going to help him at all... It isn't going to endear him with any other GM - and there's no guarantee he'll come back and play as well as he did before the holdout. He'll have to wait 3 years for a release... most holdouts only have 1 year left, so they have a bit of bargaining power - given they'll become a FA. His agent is doing him a disservice right now if he's encouraging this (which I have to believe he is doing). Heck, maybe they aren't even talking...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno... and I don't understand how a person walks away from 3 Million... and is going to have a huge chunk taken from his first check whenever that might come based on not showing up...

I asked this earlier... if he never shows up, where does he end up in terms of the roster? we own his rights, but do we need to put him in the 53 to keep them? I don't think they can put him on IR... they'd have to pay him then.

The problem with the league right now is that players who hold out usually end up winning. Teams say they're going to take a hard line, then they buckle, and either give in or trade the fool off. It's a risk, but there's a reasonable chance the Bills will see what they have in the first preseason game and come crawling back to him. And if it's all for naught, he shows up in September and makes up to four million dollars. What's a couple hundred thousand when you've got those numbers to play with?

I asked Chris Brown if any of Peter's linemates had heard from him. He said no one has indicated they've heard from him.

To me, this is a bad sign, it's a sign he is preparing to hold out for an extended period... This is a unique situation as has been discussed. Someone must be feeding his ego and making him think he doesn't need to prove anything... Like Jerry Glanville said, the NFL stands for Not For Long. And spending a season in your prime out of the game isn't going to help him at all... It isn't going to endear him with any other GM - and there's no guarantee he'll come back and play as well as he did before the holdout. He'll have to wait 3 years for a release... most holdouts only have 1 year left, so they have a bit of bargaining power - given they'll become a FA. His agent is doing him a disservice right now if he's encouraging this (which I have to believe he is doing). Heck, maybe they aren't even talking...

He'll have to wait out 3 more years of his contract before he is unshackled. He still has a piece of paper with his name on it that locks him in for that period of time. And his time at home does not count towards time served.

I think Peters hasn't got the cards the "normal" holdout has, because he's signed for 3 more years... it won't cost the Bills anything to make him sit if that's what he wants to do. It'll be unfortunate, but he signed on the dotted line. I don't know whether he'll get much sympathy from his teammates either.

I do hope the Bills get a deal done w/ Evans. It'll show that they are negotiating in good faith w/ players who show up (and deserve an extension like Evans does).

He'll have to wait out 3 more years of his contract before he is unshackled. He still has a piece of paper with his name on it that locks him in for that period of time. And his time at home does not count towards time served.

Yeah that exactly what he was saying :wub::bag::thumbsup:

I think that one positive is that the Rams have taken the exact same stance that the Bills have and told Stephen jackson that nothing will be done until he reports to camp. Maybe this Eugene Parker charactor will realize that his hardball tactics are not going to work

i dont know what this kid is thinking. does he not realize how close he was 3 years ago to spending the rest of his life bagging groceries?

I think that's exactly what he's thinking. He rips his achilles in the first preseason game, he could be cut the next day. He is the team's best lineman, their only REAL left tackle in a decade, and their only Pro Bowler. He signed a deal when he was a project as an offensive lineman. Now he's widely regarded as one of the game's best. He shouldn't be the 3rd or 4th highest-paid lineman. Pay him for the talent that he is.

At the same time, I understand the club's position. "We know you're underpaid, get to camp and we'll talk about it." Lee Evans is looking for a new deal, and he's in camp. I realize that caving in to a holdout only fosters more holdouts. But hey, you make a Pro Bowl, you have some leverage.

To quote Teddy KGB, "Pay dat maan hees mahny."

This is usually what happens. Someone close to the player or their agent convinces him that he's worth more than what he's getting, so hold out for more.

Wasn't Peters the same unselfish player who gave every indication that he'll be a TE, play special teams, and move to RT because the team needed it? Yeah...someone definitely got to him.

I dunno... and I don't understand how a person walks away from 3 Million... and is going to have a huge chunk taken from his first check whenever that might come based on not showing up...

I asked this earlier... if he never shows up, where does he end up in terms of the roster? we own his rights, but do we need to put him in the 53 to keep them? I don't think they can put him on IR... they'd have to pay him then.

I found this:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=149&f=1764&t=1186834

Other Player Designations:

teams may protect their rights to given players even if those players are not on the 53-man roster in these designations:

PUP list

IR list

League Suspension list

Retired list

**I probably forgot a few (e.g., drafted but unsigned players remain protected for a year; signed but non-reporting players remain protected indefinitely)

These rules are important in understanding how to manage an NFL roster over the course of the pre-season and regular season. They lay the groundwork for decision-making with respect to each team's roster.

i dont know what this kid is thinking. does he not realize how close he was 3 years ago to spending the rest of his life bagging groceries?

I'm not sure if a university of Arkansas degree qualifies you for that

This is usually what happens. Someone close to the player or their agent convinces him that he's worth more than what he's getting, so hold out for more.

Wasn't Peters the same unselfish player who gave every indication that he'll be a TE, play special teams, and move to RT because the team needed it? Yeah...someone definitely got to him.

It's also what happens when players like Kyle Williams gets a contract potentially worth $5M/year.

Or Butler $3M/year with one season of starting on the most unproductive offense in the league.

Or Spencer Johnson, a proven backup only, gets $3.5M/year.

So hey, relax, we don't really need Peters if these guys are that good. Walker can play LT, we're locked up at RG now with solid play for years with Bulter. If we can extend Fowler for another three years we'll have a top C. Dockery is excellent at LG. Edwards just has to watch his right side a little, which is workable.

Why is everyone so worked up. Obviously our front office and personnel guys and Brandon have a plan and don't think that Peters is worth anymore than he's getting even if it may be less than Butler, Dockery, and Walker.

If you trust Brandon and the team's FO with the Peters situation, then trust them on the rest.

No closer than the Bills were to being 3-13 for the last two seasons.

we've actually been much closer to going 10-6, if only we could have scored 1 more point in a couple of games.

I'm not sure if a university of Arkansas degree qualifies you for that

LOL! thought the same thing after i typed that sentence

It's also what happens when players like Kyle Williams gets a contract potentially worth $5M/year.

Or Butler $3M/year with one season of starting on the most unproductive offense in the league.

Or Spencer Johnson, a proven backup only, gets $3.5M/year.

So hey, relax, we don't really need Peters if these guys are that good. Walker can play LT, we're locked up at RG now with solid play for years with Bulter. If we can extend Fowler for another three years we'll have a top C. Dockery is excellent at LG. Edwards just has to watch his right side a little, which is workable.

Why is everyone so worked up. Obviously our front office and personnel guys and Brandon have a plan and don't think that Peters is worth anymore than he's getting even if it may be less than Butler, Dockery, and Walker.

If you trust Brandon and the team's FO with the Peters situation, then trust them on the rest.

WHERE THE !@#$ do you keep coming up with that ASSUMPTION?!?!?!

NO ONE here or in the front office has said they dont think he deserves more money. only that if he wants to re-negotiate he must first show up to work. thats not asking too much IMO.

you need to know, and please listen/read carefully when i say this... THAT SENTIMENT ONLY EXISTS IN YOUR LITTLE HEAD.

I think Peters hasn't got the cards the "normal" holdout has, because he's signed for 3 more years... it won't cost the Bills anything to make him sit if that's what he wants to do. It'll be unfortunate, but he signed on the dotted line. I don't know whether he'll get much sympathy from his teammates either.

I do hope the Bills get a deal done w/ Evans. It'll show that they are negotiating in good faith w/ players who show up (and deserve an extension like Evans does).

Except that if he misses past the 10th game, that year doesn't even count. So Peters would still owe 3 years. So Peters can never hold out long enough to get out from under the Bills, assuming they don't trade him. My opinion is they would rather have him rot on the vine than let him play anywhere else. And face it, no one will give him a nickel if he misses a year. He won't be "elite" anymore.

PTR

A guy who has had one good year at LT, is coming off of an injury and surgery and who has not practiced this year. Do you really want to pay him 30M in guaranteed money like the 1st pick in the draft got? Not until he shows his stuff on the field. Get to camp, show the Bills you are okay after the injury and that your heart is in it....then you'll get plenty of money.

A guy who has had one good year at LT, is coming off of an injury and surgery and who has not practiced this year. Do you really want to pay him 30M in guaranteed money like the 1st pick in the draft got? Not until he shows his stuff on the field. Get to camp, show the Bills you are okay after the injury and that your heart is in it....then you'll get plenty of money.

Alot of people would make the same statement about the first pick in the draft needing to ern that money. The system as a whole is at fault here, along with all of these guys who play under this current system for not being men of their word. They all signed contracts that are binding.