EARTHQUAKE!

Chef Jim

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really. I like to travel light. Hate accumulating stuff, *especially* breakable stuff. That's how I roll. :D

The same thought has occurred to me occasionally, when I'm stuck in traffic and it's like 105 degrees out. No place is perfect.

I disagree. Since mid June our weather has been averaging, eh, 75 degrees with NO rain and very, very low humidity. It stays like this for another couple of months with a few hot, dry days thrown in once and a while. It's wonderful here (during the summer) and then mild during the winter. <_<

Not really. I like to travel light. Hate accumulating stuff, *especially* breakable stuff. That's how I roll. :D

The same thought has occurred to me occasionally, when I'm stuck in traffic and it's like 105 degrees out. No place is perfect.

Comes pretty close out here.

Of course, since no one was killed, and the story isn't as startling as ABC wants it to be, they are now asking "Is this a precursor to "THE BIG ONE"?"

Way to go ABC. Way to Go. :D

I'm surprised they haven't started trying to figure out whose fault this whole thing is yet.

I disagree. Since mid June our weather has been averaging, eh, 75 degrees with NO rain and very, very low humidity. It stays like this for another couple of months with a few hot, dry days thrown in once and a while. It's wonderful here (during the summer) and then mild during the winter.

Evidently the winter of 2006 escaped your mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGnOHg8KU_I...feature=related

Of course, if you listened to Ron Sims, 3 snowplows for all of King County are too many!

Welcome to the club. I've been here for over 25 years and it's funny how people say we're crazy for living here with all these earthquakes. Over those 25 years this has been I think only the 3rd or 4th one over 5. I was in Buffalo at the Bills Raiders playoff game during the Northridge "biggie". Kind of sorry I missed it.

It's not so much that you have earthquakes. It's that you have earthquakes during wildfires which destabilize the earth due to the lack of vegetation which causes huge landslides in addition to the flooded concrete rivers. Oh, and occasioanlly the earthquakes happen off shore which would cause a tsunami. Not to mention the gang violence, LAPD and smog. And that you're basically running out of water, illegal immigration is running rampant and killing your healthcare system, and every now and again you have rolling blackouts, and Paris Hilton....but it's sunny.

God I love LA. :D

Philly may have it's problems but it's pretty unlikely that I'll die by wildfire, earthquake, tsunami, hurricane, flood (at my house at least), or landslide. On any given day in LA you can be killed by 2 or 3 of those things at the same time.

It's not so much that you have earthquakes. It's that you have earthquakes during wildfires which destabilize the earth due to the lack of vegetation which causes huge landslides in addition to the flooded concrete rivers. Oh, and occasioanlly the earthquakes happen off shore which would cause a tsunami. Not to mention the gang violence, LAPD and smog. And that you're basically running out of water, illegal immigration is running rampant and killing your healthcare system, and every now and again you have rolling blackouts, and Paris Hilton....but it's sunny.

God I love LA. :D

So true.

I've spent a lot of time in SoCal, there's definitely lots to love. It's just funny that immediately, the canned "It snows in Buffalo" comments come flying in from those out in Cali. You'd think when you have 180 minutes in your car everyday to travel 19 miles, you'd be able to bring some better thunder than the ol' "structural damage beats shovelin snow" nonsense.

Something like, "Hopefully the aftershocks don't slow construction on the new Buffalo office tower" would've been better and less campy.

Also, we've got BarBill chicken wings here. Suck on that in California!!!!!

So true.

I've spent a lot of time in SoCal, there's definitely lots to love. It's just funny that immediately, the canned "It snows in Buffalo" comments come flying in from those out in Cali. You'd think when you have 180 minutes in your car everyday to travel 19 miles, you'd be able to bring some better thunder than the ol' "structural damage beats shovelin snow" nonsense.

Something like, "Hopefully the aftershocks don't slow construction on the new Buffalo office tower" would've been better and less campy.

Also, we've got BarBill chicken wings here. Suck on that in California!!!!!

Well seeing I've lived 25 years in CA and 20 in WNY I feel I'm much better equipped to render an opinion of which area is the best to live. And to me hands down it's CA. I could give a pretty long list of what I dislike about WNY and they will all be true, unlike your 180 minutes to travel 19 miles line. Nice try. But that's ok, we don't need any of you CA haters here, there are too many people here as it is.

Well seeing I've lived 25 years in CA and 20 in WNY I feel I'm much better equipped to render an opinion of which area is the best to live. And to me hands down it's CA. I could give a pretty long list of what I dislike about WNY and they will all be true, unlike your 180 minutes to travel 19 miles line. Nice try. But that's ok, we don't need any of you CA haters here, there are too many people here as it is.

No I'm sorry, the traffic line is pretty close to true. I've been there quite a bit myself and the traffic out there and have been stuck in full on traffic jams at 5:30am on the 91 freeway, and I don't even want to discuss the hugetastic CF the I-5, I-10 intersection is.

CA is a great place to visit, chalk me up as one of the, there are way too many freaking people there and way too many aggravations to balance out the nice weather, crowd.

Gimmie Southern Chester County PA. I can see the stars at night, I'm within an hour of Philly, 20 minutes from the Chesapeake, within 40 minutes from the Inner Harbor in Baltimore and an hour and a half from DC. If I go the other direction I'm 20 minutes from Amish horses and buggies. LA doesn't have that. You either live on the fringe and it takes a million years to get to the other side, or you live in the middle someplace and you live with the pink glow of streetlights all night long.

It snows about 20 inches a year, it doens't get super cold but there are 4 seasons. Spring is well entrenched by mid-March. It' doesn't get into triple digits often, and the humidity is better than DC and places south. I'm close enough to the shore to be able to enjoy it if I want to but far enough away that hurricanes aren't much of a concern. no wildfires, no earthquakes, no landslides, no flooding if you live on top of the hills which I do, no tsunamis, no smog, no CIG alerts and no crips, blood, Hiltons or Lohans.

Well, if snow vs. earthquakes is such a huge deal, then the first snowstorm this year, I'll post a thread with SNOWSTORM! as the title and we can all chime in with how we're coping with all the damage and destruction, and we're lucky to be alive.

Wow, you've got an **** and an opinion. So does everyone else. But you're much better equipped to deliver yours? Well then, thanks for dropping by Curt Schilling.

Everyone takes the good with the bad wherever they live. There are tradeoffs everywhere. Even if Buffalonians rag on Buffalo, they love their friends and family there, so they stay.

Buffalo people get a bad rap for being sensitive about national criticism. I tend not to give a shiit and don't require justification for the things and the places I like. Anyone who has been to California knows that it's basically its own country with INCREDIBLE natural beauty. This is not debatable. That's why it's funny that in Post #7 of an "Earthquake" thread you bust out the "Haven't shoveled snow in 15 years" comment, like you immediately need to justify the fact that California is better than Buffalo. Talk about sensitive.....

18 years in WNY and 23 (on and off) in California. I couldn't agree more. while there are many things to like about WNY, there's twice as many to love about So. California. I will however join the list of people who do not care for L.A. For the record Buffalonians-don't confuse LA with Orange Cty either- there is a big difference.

There are many things to like about LA as long as you don't live there. For example-last week I had business up in LA and spent the night at a friends house in Burbank. We went into Glendale to "The Americana" and had some fantastic sushi and then went to a Jazz bar and had a few drinks. The quality of the women walking around on a Tuesday night was amazing! The place was jumping and we had a great time. Just don't ask me to regularly navigate the traffic or I'd be like Michael Douglas in Falling Down. :D

I often think about downsizing and moving to a more sustainable part of the country, but my kids are born and raised here and don't want to leave. I suspect that once they're grown and moved out we'll do just that...

Of course, since no one was killed, and the story isn't as startling as ABC wants it to be, they are now asking "Is this a precursor to "THE BIG ONE"?"

Way to go ABC. Way to Go. :D

Glad everyone is OK!

As Don Henley once sang:

"We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blonde who

Comes on at five

She can tell you bout the plane crash with a gleam

In her eye

Its interesting when people die-

Give us dirty laundry"

For you videophiles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E90vqso1dM0

Glad to hear your are all doing okay.