EARTHQUAKE!

Chef Jim

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, was thinking about you dude. It was right in your backyard.

That was as close as I've ever been to one and I don't mind saying I actually spotted. I was on the phone with my brother (lives in Long Island) when it hit, and he heard the house rumbling and shaking over the phone. His first comment: "How the hell can you live there?" to which I gave him your answer: "Beats shoveling snow." :worthy: Lots of photos off the wall, dresser drawers thrown open, and a light cover on a newly, well-installed ceiling fan cracked. Pretty crazy.

Of course, since no one was killed, and the story isn't as startling as ABC wants it to be, they are now asking "Is this a precursor to "THE BIG ONE"?"

Way to go ABC. Way to Go. :worthy:

Glad everyone is OK!

Like the Weather Channel DYING for that Cat 5 Hurricane...news media outlets are sick, twisted individuals.

That was as close as I've ever been to one and I don't mind saying I actually spotted. I was on the phone with my brother (lives in Long Island) when it hit, and he heard the house rumbling and shaking over the phone. His first comment: "How the hell can you live there?" to which I gave him your answer: "Beats shoveling snow." :worthy: Lots of photos off the wall, dresser drawers thrown open, and a light cover on a newly, well-installed ceiling fan cracked. Pretty crazy.

I worked with someone who had a friend who lived very near the epicenter of the Northridge quake. The house was a mess, especially the kitchen. But there seemed to be someone unusual going on. The cupboard where they kept their dishes was empty but there were no broken dishes on the floor. So after a thorough investigation of the kitchen the found out that during the quake, the oven door (which was under the cupboard) opened up, all the dishes fell out of the cupboard into the oven and the oven door closed with all the dishes now inside the oven. Bizzare things happen when the earth starts shakin'

Still a lot more fun than shoveling snow. :worthy:

Damn....I was hoping you would have been bopped in the head by something so it would have jarred something loose in that noggin of yours! :worthy:

I haven't been through a quake in SD for a while now. Fairly routine. I felt the bed shift, looked up and saw the barbell on the weight bench shifting back and forth. Then I looked towards the dining room to get the true gauge and sure enough the chandelier was wavering. When these things happen you don't have time to run outside. They are usually over fairly quick. CA. is still un okay place to live. Pricey but nice. I'm glad ecerybody is safe

I was in the middle of interviewing a job applicant this morning, when the room started bouncin'. I tried to convince the interviewee it was just leakage from our sound-stage, and I think I had him going until the other employees started streaming out the doors.

This one lasted a while, but didn't feel all that strong where I was (at work, in Hollywood). The strongest one I've felt was probably the Whittier Narrows quake in 1987. My girlfriend & were actually tumbled out of bed in my apartment in Pasadena; the wall cracked open, a lot of crap fell off shelves & broke, etc. The aftershock a few days later at friggin' 4:30 a.m. was fun, too. :worthy:

The biggest quake I've been in was 1994 Northridge (really centered in Reseda), which killed 70 or 80 people and broke the I-10 freeway. My wife's apartment in Northridge was red-tagged due to that sucker.

Still, not too bad for over 25 yrs. of SoCal living....

I was in the middle of interviewing a job applicant this morning, when the room started bouncin'. I tried to convince the interviewee it was just leakage from our sound-stage, and I think I had him going until the other employees started streaming out the doors.

This one lasted a while, but didn't feel all that strong where I was (at work, in Hollywood). The strongest one I've felt was probably the Whittier Narrows quake in 1987. My girlfriend & were actually tumbled out of bed in my apartment in Pasadena; the wall cracked open, a lot of crap fell off shelves & broke, etc. The aftershock a few days later at friggin' 4:30 a.m. was fun, too. :worthy:

The biggest quake I've been in was 1994 Northridge (really centered in Reseda), which killed 70 or 80 people and broke the I-10 freeway. My wife's apartment in Northridge was red-tagged due to that sucker.

Still, not too bad for over 25 yrs. of SoCal living....

And remember, still not one shovel full of snow. :worthy:

Still a lot more fun than shoveling snow. :worthy:

Yeah, the loss of precious heirlooms breaking on the floor and the threat of your house collapsing and killing your family sure beats snow. :worthy: Especially if you pay someone to do it for you.

Welcome to the club. I've been here for over 25 years and it's funny how people say we're crazy for living here with all these earthquakes. Over those 25 years this has been I think only the 3rd or 4th one over 5. I was in Buffalo at the Bills Raiders playoff game during the Northridge "biggie". Kind of sorry I missed it.

That was probably caused by the drunk Faders fans.

Yeah, the loss of precious heirlooms breaking on the floor and the threat of your house collapsing and killing your family sure beats snow. :worthy:

That's a bid dramatic isn't it. And yes in my opiniion it beats the snow. That's why a good many of us live here.

Yeah, the loss of precious heirlooms breaking on the floor and the threat of your house collapsing and killing your family sure beats snow. :worthy: Especially if you pay someone to do it for you.
I don't have any precious heirlooms. And my house is *very* solidly built, thanks! :worthy:

I don't have any precious heirlooms. And my house is *very* solidly built, thanks! :worthy:

Have any heirlooms that are just nice? I mean, precious ones aren't the only ones that are fragile.

(God, I'd kill for 75-85 degrees all year long).

Have any heirlooms that are just nice? I mean, precious ones aren't the only ones that are fragile.

Maybe in SD, but not in NorCal. Where I live gets frost on the roofs around Christmas and the highs are around 50.

We had one here near San Jose last winter. Only thing that happened was jars on the top shelves in the supermarkets near it flew off the shelf. The news channels are going into panic mode. Know someone that was 5 miles from that one. His cupboards opened, but no dishes or glasses came out, but a booblehead on his desk fell off an broke.

Ho hum.

That one was fun. I don't know about you, but I'm a little jealous of our neighbors to the south this evening...

Not really. I like to travel light. Hate accumulating stuff, *especially* breakable stuff. That's how I roll. :D

The same thought has occurred to me occasionally, when I'm stuck in traffic and it's like 105 degrees out. No place is perfect.