Next time you get the urge to bash the Bills front office

How smart does Baltimore look now giving up two #3's for Willis McDoofus? How about San Fran breaking the bank for Clements? I can recall how certain posters here declared the Earth would spin off its axis if the Bills didn't keep these two "irreplaceable" players. :lol:

PTR

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about San Fran breaking the bank for Clements?

Nate Clements is one of the game's best corners and played great last season. And the defense took a big step back without him. His contract was huge... but then again, so was Derrick Dockery's. I'd rather have Clements, who ranks among the best at this position.

How smart does Baltimore look now giving up two #3's for Willis McDoofus? How about San Fran breaking the bank for Clements? I can recall how certain posters here declared the Earth would spin off its axis if the Bills didn't keep these two "irreplaceable" players. :lol:

PTR

Hey, I don't want to compare the Bills front office to other bad front office moves just to rationalize that the Bills front office is OK. Glad to be on the giving end for both Clements and Willis, but when you don't make the playoffs for 10 years and have losing records for most of those years, the front office looks bad. Not many franchises in the NFL are as bad as Buffalo over the same period so I'm not throwing stones anywhere.

PTR

I don't like McGahee either but the bottum line is the guy can play. He made the probowl last year man. We had to replace him using our 1st rounder on Marshawn Lynch. Seems to me we could have used that 1st rounder at another spot instead of treading water. That's just the way things run at One Bills Drive- lose a guy and replace him don't advance. Kind of like having Clements then having to use this years's 1st rounder to replace him with McKelvin. Sure Clements made alot of money, but he is a top CB and is a playmaker. Just ask the Dolphins if they were glab he left Buffalo for San Fran.

Nate Clements is one of the game's best corners and played great last season. And the defense took a big step back without him. His contract was huge... but then again, so was Derrick Dockery's. I'd rather have Clements, who ranks among the best at this position.

He played ok last season, not great. Nate had only 4 int (none for touchdowns) and didn't make the pro bowl.

He played ok last season, not great. Nate had only 4 int (none for touchdowns) and didn't make the pro bowl.

According to Pro Football Outsiders, Nate shut down the offense's primary receiving option 63% of the time -- a higher percentage than ANY other CB in the NFL.

So yes, he played pretty damn well.

According to Pro Football Outsiders, Nate shut down the offense's primary receiving option 63% of the time -- a higher percentage than ANY other CB in the NFL.

still not good enough for the PB last year

I agree with you. Clements is a very good CB playing on a very bad team. However, I still to this day think the niners overpaid for his services. As good as Nate is, I would never put him in the same class as a Champ Bailey. Also, if you go back and look at all the numbers, you will see that the average yards given up per catch by McGee is one of the lowest for a CB in the NFL, if not the lowest. McGee and Greer are good to above average corners who are not breaking the bank here. One of the things that Nate supporters harped on before his release that made me laugh was that Buffalo had one of the best passing defenses in the nfl during his last season as a Bill. What this logic doesn't take into account is that Buffalo's run defense was so porous, most teams didn't need to pass against the bills because they could run the ball with relative ease. This definitely skewed the stats. Anyway, I think Buffalo's corners now are good enough and I'll even go as far as saying I would take Windfield over Clements any day of the week.

For what its worth, San Fran's defense didn't really improve much with him.

2006 (without Clements): Passing yards allowed/game=223.2, INT=14, PTS/game=25.8, overall rank=26th

2007 (with Clements): Passing yards allowed/game=227.7, INT=12, PTS/game=22.8, overall defense rank=25th

It's a team sport. We don't need to blow our load on just one (apparently small) piece of the puzzle.

How smart does Baltimore look now giving up two #3's for Willis McDoofus? How about San Fran breaking the bank for Clements? I can recall how certain posters here declared the Earth would spin off its axis if the Bills didn't keep these two "irreplaceable" players. :P

PTR

OK, I agree. The Bills front office is not the suckiest in the NFL! :lol:

youd rather have $100million tied up in ONE cornerback and have rookies/backups starting at at least 2 positions on the OLine

than a solid OLine and a rookie CB?

clements leaving was not the only obstacle the Defense faced last year either.

still not good enough for the PB last year

He played on a pretty bad team. Bad teams generally don't send Pro Bowlers in droves.

Trufant, Harris and Newman all played for division winners, played in big games and were on a bigger stage throughout the season. Clements himself played at a Pro Bowl level.

Clements himself played at a Pro Bowl level.

Did you notice this post?

Nate's Pro Bowl level of play apparently amounted to a tiny ripple in a very large pond.

Once and for all, can any Clements fan admit he wasn't and isn't worth what SF paid, and it would have been silly for the Bills to tie up that kind of money in him?

youd rather have $100million tied up in ONE cornerback and have rookies/backups starting at at least 2 positions on the OLine

No, I'd rather pay top dollar to a top-5 CB than overpay with top-5 money to a guard who isn't one of the top guards in the NFL.

But hey, at least they spent their first round pick on CB this season.

How smart does Baltimore look now giving up two #3's for Willis McDoofus? How about San Fran breaking the bank for Clements? I can recall how certain posters here declared the Earth would spin off its axis if the Bills didn't keep these two "irreplaceable" players. :P

PTR

:sick: FO 1 Clements and sWillis 0.

If he had asked for half of what he signed for with SF and the Bills let him walk I'd be very critical. Letting him walk for that contract was a smart move.

Hey, I don't want to compare the Bills front office to other bad front office moves just to rationalize that the Bills front office is OK. Glad to be on the giving end for both Clements and Willis, but when you don't make the playoffs for 10 years and have losing records for most of those years, the front office looks bad. Not many franchises in the NFL are as bad as Buffalo over the same period so I'm not throwing stones anywhere.

The point is that both moves were made by the current FO. I think it bodes well for us.

I don't like McGahee either but the bottum line is the guy can play. He made the probowl last year man. We had to replace him using our 1st rounder on Marshawn Lynch. Seems to me we could have used that 1st rounder at another spot instead of treading water. That's just the way things run at One Bills Drive- lose a guy and replace him don't advance. Kind of like having Clements then having to use this years's 1st rounder to replace him with McKelvin. Sure Clements made alot of money, but he is a top CB and is a playmaker. Just ask the Dolphins if they were glab he left Buffalo for San Fran.

McGahee is addition by subtraction and Marshawn is a lot better player.

$80 million dollar man?! :lol:

We traded McGahee and a 5th for Trent Edwards, Marcus Stroud, and a 7th. We are far better off without him.

:sick:

:sick:

Did you notice this post?

Nate's Pro Bowl level of play apparently amounted to a tiny ripple in a very large pond.

Once and for all, can any Clements fan admit he wasn't and isn't worth what SF paid, and it would have been silly for the Bills to tie up that kind of money in him?

He did his job, shutting down the #1 receiver of the opposition the majority of the time. In turn, teams effectively stopped throwing to his side and attacked the rest of the secondary.

As I said, I'd rather pay top-dollar to a top-dollar worthy player. Clements ranks among the best in his position, so he will command top-dollars. Dockery is NOT among the best in his position, but is paid like it.

Just ask the Dolphins if they were glab he left Buffalo for San Fran.

Unfortunately for the Fins, Clements' absence made no difference for them. They still got swept, and will again this year.

Nate Clements is NOT one of the game's best corners. In fact last year here was very average.