(ot) Interesting comments about GW in DC

zow2

Listening to a DC area sports talk show yesterday, the radio heads all agreed that Greggo would be "one and done" in Washington much like Marvin Lewis was under Spurrier. Translation: GW will be a head coach somewhere next year. They said other NFL GM's have been so impressed with what GW has done with a very marginal defense (Lavar and Barrow have been hurt all year.....and defensive line was supposed to be weak).

Personally, I think he will be scrutinized much more than Marvin Lewis since he already failed once as a head coach. Also, the 'Skins have faced some weak offenses against Tampa, Chicago, Balt, Cleve, Dallas, Giants. No doubt GW has done a good job and you can tell he's learned alot from his days in Buffalo. Let's see what he does vs. St.Louis and Philly twice in the coming weeks.

Speaking of GW and his coaching peers, has anyone noticed that a little of the luster has come quickly off of the two "great" coaches that we "should have hired" (Marvin Lewis and John Fox) ? Players win games. Coaches help, but players win games. (unless you are New England :-) )

Speaking of GW and his coaching peers, has anyone noticed that a little of the luster has come quickly off of the two "great" coaches that we "should have hired" (Marvin Lewis and John Fox)  ? Players win games. Coaches help, but players win games.  (unless you are New England :-)  )

75769[/snapback]

I never thought Lewis was that great to begin with, but John Fox? Their 2 best players on offense have been hurt all year, and now both of their stud DT's are out. GW couldn't do any better when Henry, Moulds and the rest of his team was healthy.

Listening to a DC area sports talk show yesterday, the radio heads all agreed that Greggo would be "one and done" in Washington much like Marvin Lewis was under Spurrier. Translation: GW will be a head coach somewhere next year.  They said other NFL GM's have been so impressed with what GW has done with a very marginal defense (Lavar and Barrow have been hurt all year.....and defensive line was supposed to be weak).

Personally, I think he will be scrutinized much more than Marvin Lewis since he already failed once as a head coach.  Also, the 'Skins have faced some weak offenses against Tampa, Chicago, Balt, Cleve, Dallas, Giants.  No doubt GW has done a good job and you can tell he's learned alot from his days in Buffalo.  Let's see what he does vs. St.Louis and Philly twice in the coming weeks.

75724[/snapback]

I can tell you from the games I have watched the 'Skins play that their defense isn't very impressive. They make the same mistakes we did when Greg was here - especially when the game is on the line.

The fact is, they haven't played an offensive juggernaut yet this season and are a 2-4 football team. Anybody who hires him to be their head coach is going to get the same guy and the same bad decisions when it matters most.

One complaint from DC area fans is...get this....That their defense does not get enough takeaways!  none have been returned for TD's either.  Sound familiar?

75801[/snapback]

They have 8 through 6 games and are a minus 5 in the category. Some of that could be attributed to lacking playmakers. It could merely be a coincidence but after watching Greggo for 3 years...

I never thought Lewis was that great to begin with, but John Fox?  Their 2 best players on offense have been hurt all year, and now both of their stud DT's are out.  GW couldn't do any better when Henry, Moulds and the rest of his team was healthy.

75793[/snapback]

Oh I agree with you. My point was less of a defense of GW than it was about the decline in hype with those two coaches. :o

No doubt GW is a great defensive coach and he gets the respect of his players. He showed that here.

His biggest problems as HC were: (1) Selection of his coaching staff; and (2) Stupid game-day management (bad challenge calls; failure to make gameday adjustments; bad judgment calls).

If he couldn't overcome these problems in 3 years in Buffalo (esp. game-day management issues), then I don't see him drastically improving in his next HC stint. Of course, Bill Belichek was a loser in Cleveland and he managed to do a "little" better in New England. :o

They have 8 through 6 games and are a minus 5 in the category.  Some of that could be attributed to lacking playmakers.  It could merely be a coincidence but after watching Greggo for 3 years...

75803[/snapback]

yeah, the minus 5 is magnified because the Redskins opponents have returned 4 or 5 turnovers for TD's. The fans are wondering why the 'Skins can't do the same?

No doubt GW is a great defensive coach and he gets the respect of his players. He showed that here.

His biggest problems as HC were: (1) Selection of his coaching staff; and (2) Stupid game-day management (bad challenge calls; failure to make gameday adjustments; bad judgment calls).

If he couldn't overcome these problems in 3 years in Buffalo (esp. game-day management issues), then I don't see him drastically improving in his next HC stint. Of course, Bill Belichek was a loser in Cleveland and he managed to do a "little" better in New England.  :o

75819[/snapback]

I agree with most of that, but I've never really understood the "Belichek stunk in Cleveland" stuff. I know they had some rough years in the early 90's, but that was a different era before FA & salary cap. He did go 11-5 in 1994, and in 95 they were a lame duck franchise headed to Baltimore.

Oh I agree with you. My point was less of a defense of GW than it was about the decline in hype with those two coaches.  :o

75804[/snapback]

Gotcha....yeh, the media wavers so much based on recent history it's ridiculous.

Tampa could go 1-15 this year, I still think Gruden is a great coach. That 2002 offense was worse on paper than the 2000 Ravens. Lousy OL, no running game, no speed, and Brad Johnson, are you kidding me? And they averaged like 30+ points in the playoffs, unbelievable.

DC fans are just too funny...they love GW as the DC, but would they want him as the future replacement of Gibbs? NOPE! More importantly, he helps to have Joe Gibbs as the HC, makes up for many of GW inadequacies. He looked great under Fisher too.....he is just a good coordinator...nothing more!

If he couldn't overcome these problems in 3 years in Buffalo (esp. game-day management issues), then I don't see him drastically improving in his next HC stint.

Especially under the tutelage of a head coach who is still trying to figure out how to manage the clock.

In fairness, GW was half the coach he could be based on the fact that he refused to get involved with his OC at the time. Gilbride...and his refusal to change Gilbride...ruined him.

If he couldn't overcome these problems in 3 years in Buffalo (esp. game-day management issues), then I don't see him drastically improving in his next HC stint. Of course, Bill Belichek was a loser in Cleveland and he managed to do a "little" better in New England.  :o

75819[/snapback]

Also, don't forget Shanahan was awful with the Raiders.

I agree with most of that, but I've never really understood the "Belichek stunk in Cleveland" stuff.  I know they had some rough years in the early 90's, but that was a different era before FA & salary cap.  He did go 11-5 in 1994, and in 95 they were a lame duck franchise headed to Baltimore.

75829[/snapback]

I think BBs rep was also hurt by his flip-flop on the NYJ HC job when he said he woukd take it and soon after said he would not. Both the Cleveland failure and this episode were part of the learning process for BB which helped make him the great HC he is today. Even still, though he is a great HC, everyone needs luck to win. The gift of the refs cal in the snow on Brady's fumble/pass, and his players stepping up after BB mismanaged the Milloy situation last year and the TEAM suffered some grievous injuries were huge factors in his success along with him being a great HC and having Scott Pioli's help.