Simple question.......Will Jason Peters be at camp?

1. NFL contracts are not guaranteed 2. he was a RT when he signed the contract 3. He made a Pro-bowl which is a general condition for renegotiation 4. Schobel, Kyle Williams, Brad Butler sets the stage and none of them are played at the level that Jason Peters played at last year.

The Butler and Williams agreements shouldn't even factor into this. A Pro Bowl LT at age 26 is far and away different that an average at best DT and promising RG. And neither one are even on the same field as Peters when it comes to future potential.

Ordinarily I wouldn't support a player who wants a new deal. Russ Brandon may talk tough, but he's in over his head on this one, and the example RB used repeatedly about giving Peters a deal two years ago doesn't wash. Going into 06, Peters earned the starting RT spot. I'm convinced it was McNally or another OL coach who told Jauron that Peters could make the transition to LT, and it happened after the bye week in 2006 when the OL was hurting under the weight of players like Tutan Reyes and mediocre OLT play from Mike Gandy. So it was that Peters became their go to OL, and the Bills ran behind him more often than not.

Now he's proven that he can play the most crucial spot on the OL against some of the best pass rushers in the league. And...Buffalo has no one else remotely capable of handling this job. I daresay that only 3-5 OLT's in the league can play at Peters' level.

This is when a savvy personnel man in a GM role is needed. Draft day is nice for taking pictures, but it's what's not going on behind the scenes that is irritating in this case. RB says the team has had no contact with either the player or agent. Frankly, I'm not buying it, and I think Peters has all the leverage in a situation like this and the Bills know it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. NFL contracts are not guaranteed 2. he was a RT when he signed the contract 3. He made a Pro-bowl which is a general condition for renegotiation 4. Schobel, Kyle Williams, Brad Butler sets the stage and none of them are played at the level that Jason Peters played at last year.

When FA sign big contracts, a large portion is guaranteed. While Clements won't see his $80M, $22M of it is guaranteed.

If it's an injury that's keeping him out of camp, then why doesn't someone come out and say it. Why the hush-hush?

If it's money he wants, he needs to get his butt into camp, prove his loyalty to the team (No "I" in the word team, aka Bruce Smith). Then he can do all the renegotiating he wants. His agent is being an a$$ just as well by not pushing his client to get out here, but instead allowing him to sit on his laurels. He's hurting the team and any chances this team has for the post season. But he won't realized that until his bank account is almost empty and the mortgage is due. Granted one player doesnt make a team, but his position and skill is vital to the O-line and TE's survival week in and week out. If he thinks holding out will force the team to realize how vital he is, then that's pretty selfish.

I'm not crazy about Walker starting at LT, but if he can handle it, all the more power to him. But TS needs to get the chemistry going, with or without Peters. Mark my words, if this holdout continues and it effects the outcome of the season and the play of the offense, Peters will be one unwelcomed player with Bills fans and he can pack his bags for good.

The Butler and Williams agreements shouldn't even factor into this. A Pro Bowl LT at age 26 is far and away different that an average at best DT and promising RG. And neither one are even on the same field as Peters when it comes to future potential.

Ordinarily I wouldn't support a player who wants a new deal. Russ Brandon may talk tough, but he's in over his head on this one, and the example RB used repeatedly about giving Peters a deal two years ago doesn't wash. Going into 06, Peters earned the starting RT spot. I'm convinced it was McNally or another OL coach who told Jauron that Peters could make the transition to LT, and it happened after the bye week in 2006 when the OL was hurting under the weight of players like Tutan Reyes and mediocre OLT play from Mike Gandy. So it was that Peters became their go to OL, and the Bills ran behind him more often than not.

Now he's proven that he can play the most crucial spot on the OL against some of the best pass rushers in the league. And...Buffalo has no one else remotely capable of handling this job. I daresay that only 3-5 OLT's in the league can play at Peters' level.

This is when a savvy personnel man in a GM role is needed. Draft day is nice for taking pictures, but it's what's not going on behind the scenes that is irritating in this case. RB says the team has had no contact with either the player or agent. Frankly, I'm not buying it, and I think Peters has all the leverage in a situation like this and the Bills know it.

if Brandon wanted to play hardball with Peters, they should have at least got somebody on the team that could play LT.

the last contact they had with Peters was January. They could have brought in a free agent and drafted someone that could at least line up at LT.

It took 15 years to find a LT and only a few months to poison the relationship.

if Brandon wanted to play hardball with Peters, they should have at least got somebody on the team that could play LT.

the last contact they had with Peters was January. They could have brought in a free agent and drafted someone that could at least line up at LT.

What is this "hardball" you speak of? Requesting that a player under contract who has apparently not even contacted the front office report for work before you begin discussing contract extensions?

I really wonder what you're smoking some days.

If it's an injury that's keeping him out of camp, then why doesn't someone come out and say it. Why the hush-hush?

If it's money he wants, he needs to get his butt into camp, prove his loyalty to the team (No "I" in the word team, aka Bruce Smith). Then he can do all the renegotiating he wants. His agent is being an a$$ just as well by not pushing his client to get out here, but instead allowing him to sit on his laurels. He's hurting the team and any chances this team has for the post season. But he won't realized that until his bank account is almost empty and the mortgage is due. Granted one player doesnt make a team, but his position and skill is vital to the O-line and TE's survival week in and week out. If he thinks holding out will force the team to realize how vital he is, then that's pretty selfish.

I'm not crazy about Walker starting at LT, but if he can handle it, all the more power to him. But TS needs to get the chemistry going, with or without Peters. Mark my words, if this holdout continues and it effects the outcome of the season and the play of the offense, Peters will be one unwelcomed player with Bills fans and he can pack his bags for good.

Not from the looks of these Boards. But I'm in full agreement. The Bills haven't done anything but expect their player to honor the contract through the freaking SUMMER. I don't get it. Even his O-Linemates have made it clear that even THEY haven't heard from the guy all summer. What's THAT tell you about Peters' team spirit?

It would be easier for teams to renegotiate the contracts of players who have outperformed them if they could also reduce the pay of players that underperformed. Chris Kelsay's cut could help fund a raise for Peters.

I had raised the point earlier.

Peters has not shown that he is recovered from his serious injury.

Unlikely the Bills throw money at him until they can validate that he is recovered.

No problem, though, because the Bills are absolutely loaded with talent to fill in until his return.

Good thing the Bills planned ahead knowing that Peters ended the season unable to play.

Because it's so easy to find good LT these days.

It's a lot harder when you don't even look.

Knowing Peters was an issue (health or contract), Brandon Albert would have at least given them an option at LT.

If the Bills had any inkling of Peters health being an issue, everybody in the front office should be fired, and Jauron thrown into Lake Erie.

This was the deepest draft for OTs that I can remember, yet the spent a 1st (#11), a 4th, a 7th, on dbs, and signed a free agent corner to boot. Again. IF they knew Peters had health issues, it will take years, many years to get over a mistake of this magnitude.

My guess by the way is that he is fine, and simply needs to be paid. We can only hope! :blink:

It's a lot harder when you don't even look.

Knowing Peters was an issue (health or contract), Brandon Albert would have at least given them an option at LT.

They have a very good starting LT under contract for the next 3 years. That's why they did not look for another.