Peter King's mailbag

I don't think so either, which is why i said "except perhaps Jax". But Garrard is the only one of those teams without a well paid established star QB. Garrard is pretty good I would think Jax has little to no interest in Favre.

To buftex, I doubt Favre would want to go to the Jets or even consider them. They are quite far away, perhaps two years (his window) from being a serious contender talent-wise.

unbalanced= woosy. I would go re-read your posT. I just did, five times; and you're saying "no other teams", except Jacksonville.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

unbalanced= woosy. I would go re-read your posT. I just did, five times; and you're saying "no other teams", except Jacksonville.

No other teams "he listed" is what I posted that you allegedly read five times, which are "New England, Indy, Jacksonville, San Diego ... and probably not ahead of Pittsburgh or Cleveland". Do you think any of those teams would even consider paying Favre ten million to come in for a year or two, already paying other veteran established QBs millions and millions?

The Jets reference was separate, to buftex, who added them as a possibility. But I personally don't think Favre would entertain that thought, although it's possible.

To me, the most obvious fit, that would meet the Packers crieterion (non-NFC team) is the New York Jets.

except Favre does not want and can not handle the media pressure of a major market.

Big difference coming from an area where he is treated like a god to where they will hound him about those pesky picks.

except Favre does not want and can not handle the media pressure of a major market.

Big difference coming from an area where he is treated like a god to where they will hound him about those pesky picks.

No way....Brett lives for the attention...I think he can handle it!

No other teams "he listed" is what I posted that you allegedly read five times, which are "New England, Indy, Jacksonville, San Diego ... and probably not ahead of Pittsburgh or Cleveland". Do you think any of those teams would even consider paying Favre ten million to come in for a year or two, already paying other veteran established QBs millions and millions?

The Jets reference was separate, to buftex, who added them as a possibility. But I personally don't think Favre would entertain that thought, although it's possible.

I'm still not buying what your selling; you're wavering a bit. I need some juice; these stare-downs wear a pair of socks quite thin. I'll freshen up and be back in a bit. :thumbsup:

(While listening to Boy George & Culture Club "Clock of the Heart")

Brett has been the center of attention - but always treated as a god by the green bay fans and media- like Madden

No way does he even want to try to survive NY.

I agree; he's already on the national stage. It's not like Namath never threw a pick. But the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of him becoming a Bill. Because I think we're getting close to being a contender. And he could provide the leadership and proven talent to get us to the next level, this season or next. He's better than Bledsoe was, just as strong an arm, more mobile, and can play in the cold. I think the Bills could make more of a case to him that he must earn the starting job, more than Green Bay can, where he is God. I think we can afford him, especially with a contract with performance incentives. And he's got a good relationship with Jim Kelly, which could help his decision. I'm surprised he changed his mind about retiring though. He might just want one more season and retire again. He must believe he can still play a bit longer, and still go out on top. Certainly, how he played last year would give credance to that. Didn't Sugar Ray Lenard retire from boxing like five times? I still have strong doubts that this will ever happen.

Minnesota would be ideal for Farve. Better than 1/2 of his games indoors, team on the rise...top notch RB, strong D, what's not to love about Minny except the current QB.

Doesn't the same description fit the Bills though....

The only difference i see is the Vikes have a solid Run defense while the Bills don't know what they have in Stroud.

The bills secondary is much better than the Vikes and the Bills have an outstanding STs.

I think highly of PK as an NFL insider but disgree with his 'lojic' here. The Bills -WITH FAVRE- would not be worse than Jax, Pitt or Cleveland, IMO. According to him, there's still two more playoff teams to consider in the AFC and a veteran QB added to the Bills is a helluva equalizer.

I disagree---we are not as good as JAX,PIT or CLEVELAND...until we prove it in some way.Adding Favre wouldnt change that.

I don't know. Maybe I am nuts, but the Jets, on paper anyways, look to have some talent, that needs to be glued together somehow. They were a playoff team just two years ago, and have some decent pieces. They have shored up their O-line, have a good vetran RB, and some emerging recievers. They do need a QB however...I am not sure how much stock they are putting in Kellen Clemons. He hasn't shown a lot. Surely, it wouldn't hurt him to sit another year...I just think the media possbilities with Favre and the Jets are limitless. To think, the only QB's the Jets would ever have, would be from Alabama (Namath) and Mississippi...the Jets are surely a franchise that could use an identity...

This is quickly becoming my biggest fear. If Favre becomes a Jet, we'll likely fall to 3rd place in the division and stay there for a couple years despite continuing to upgrade our personnel. While the AFC East will 'come back to the pack' regarding a quality division, WE still probably won't sniff January play untill the next decade. All the new 'superstars' the Jets signed this offseason still have to jell and become something, though history would imply it's not the way to do it.

Favre is a helluva X factor.

Git 'er done Brandon!!

But the NFL Network says adding Favre to the mix makes them an instant contender in the AFC.

Surely, they jest.

Doesn't the same description fit the Bills though....

The only difference i see is the Vikes have a solid Run defense while the Bills don't know what they have in Stroud.

The bills secondary is much better than the Vikes and the Bills have an outstanding STs.

Yeah, but all those picks and that chemistry thingy.......wouldn't work.

I agree; he's already on the national stage. It's not like Namath never threw a pick. But the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of him becoming a Bill. Because I think we're getting close to being a contender. And he could provide the leadership and proven talent to get us to the next level, this season or next. He's better than Bledsoe was, just as strong an arm, more mobile, and can play in the cold. I think the Bills could make more of a case to him that he must earn the starting job, more than Green Bay can, where he is God. I think we can afford him, especially with a contract with performance incentives. And he's got a good relationship with Jim Kelly, which could help his decision. I'm surprised he changed his mind about retiring though. He might just want one more season and retire again. He must believe he can still play a bit longer, and still go out on top. Certainly, how he played last year would give credance to that. Didn't Sugar Ray Lenard retire from boxing like five times? I still have strong doubts that this will ever happen.

you do realize he is an old 39

He wants to play on Sunday, but can;t make the commitment for the rest of teh offseason and weekly practice.

His magical 2007 season is clouding reality.

Keep him away from Buffalo- unless we trade him to Minnesota

Do people advocating Favre as a Bill really believe that the QB is the only position keeping us from making the playoffs ?

I don't know about that, but there are MORE than a handful of people here who will tell you that the QB position is THE sole reason our team has sucked, and that no other factor has played a role in our suckitude EXCEPT that position.

Whether those people are the same people as the Favre advocates, I can not tell.

Do people advocating Favre as a Bill really believe that the QB is the only position keeping us from making the playoffs ?

Here's why I want to bring him in. I'm going on the premise that all the other moves that have been made over the past couple of years (fortified OL, improved secondary, big red zone target, improved DL interior) will actually work and improve us substantially.

IF this is the case, my only apprehension is what to expect from TE. I like him. I want him to QB my Bills for the future.

BUT.....if we can bring in a tried /true gamer, a SB champ, a QB who thrives in dramatic situations, a QB who can go toe-to-toe with the Bradys and Mannings, a QB who TAKES others on his back in critical situations and produces, I want some of that.

The downside? I've already heard and heed them. ...too many interceptions, it's all about him, he may dis us next year.....yadayadayada....

I say screw next year! This truly worth the gamble. I may be giving more credit to this roster than it deserves, but I feel it's an experienced, productive QB/leader away from competing with the big boys.

I don't know about the rest of you, I want to win now. I think he gives us the best shot. TE will have his time. Brett can pass him the baton.

Personally, I'd love to see Favre become a Bill and, yes, I would fully expect the Bills to be in the playoffs if that happens. If not, I believe the team is continuing to improve to the point where we'll have to be reckoned with in the near future -perhaps as soon as next year- with the personnel already onboard. A QB has far more impact on the outcome of a game than any other position. I believe in Trent's capabilities but we'll all suffer* with his growing pains through the next couple years (suffer = losses through 'learning experiences'). Adding a proven commodity right now to QB will undoubtely hide* a mulitude of other growing pains (hide = wins through poor play).

JMO.

Favre coming to Buffalo is wrong on many levels:

- I am not convinced we are a QB away from the playoffs. We are an offensive scheme and skill talent away from it.

- Trent is our starting QB and it will not be good for his development to be told he is not the starter. Trent was thrust into the starting job last year and needs to continue playing. Getting Favre is a stop-gap measure which IMHO will not mask the weaknesses of our offense (namely: not enough, proven players as WR and TE).

- What happens if (when ?) Favre sucks and starts throwing a lot of interceptions ? Do the fans have the b@lls to call for his benching especially when we will be the focus of national attention once Favre becomes our starter ?

- Will Jauron have the b@lls to bench Favre ? Does he risk his career on a Tom Donahoe-like flashy move which has way too much risk associated with it ?

- The money and/or draft picks that may be needed may make this a very expensive gamble for us in the long run. We need the money to lock up Peters and Evans this year plus sign some more FAs next year

- We really don't need a side-show on the team. I would rather continue with our ground-up rebuilding process and set up for a long multi-season win streak.

Bottom line, weighing the risk and perceived rewards, I think this potential acquisition is way unbalanced against the Bills.

Favre coming to Buffalo is wrong on many levels:

- I am not convinced we are a QB away from the playoffs. We are an offensive scheme and skill talent away from it.

- Trent is our starting QB and it will not be good for his development to be told he is not the starter. Trent was thrust into the starting job last year and needs to continue playing. Getting Favre is a stop-gap measure which IMHO will not mask the weaknesses of our offense (namely: not enough, proven players as WR and TE).

- What happens if (when ?) Favre sucks and starts throwing a lot of interceptions ? Do the fans have the b@lls to call for his benching especially when we will be the focus of national attention once Favre becomes our starter ?

- Will Jauron have the b@lls to bench Favre ? Does he risk his career on a Tom Donahoe-like flashy move which has way too much risk associated with it ?

- The money and/or draft picks that may be needed may make this a very expensive gamble for us in the long run. We need the money to lock up Peters and Evans this year plus sign some more FAs next year

- We really don't need a side-show on the team. I would rather continue with our ground-up rebuilding process and set up for a long multi-season win streak.

Bottom line, weighing the risk and perceived rewards, I think this potential acquisition is way unbalanced against the Bills.

I agree with what you are saying, but I will repost something I posted earlier (and, typically, got no response :rolleyes: ):

I don't think the Bills will seriously, and I am not saying they should, but I wouldn't be too upset either...

One positive to it, that even the most ardent of Favre haters in Bills land would have to admitt, him coming to Buffalo, especially now, in 2008 (4 years before the Bills are pretty much free to move anywhere), would put a national focus on the franchise that it hasn't had since the early 1990's. Imagine all of the prime time tv exposure, all the flowery comparisons between Buffalo Bills fans, and the venerable Green Bay fans. It would be a lot of positive attention for the Buffalo Bills (albiet Favre slanted), and Buffalo...Favre would repeadedly be saying things like "what we had in Green Bay, with the fans, was special...but the Buffalo fans are every bit as crazed with the Bills" There might be a national groundswell of support, on a national level, to keep the Bills in Buffalo.

How about Favre, unable to pry himself from the game, joining Jim Kelly's ownership group....having Deana Favre in the stands wouldn't be so bad either! John Elway has been rumoured to be interested in getting into NFL ownership as well.

I'm just sayin'...as ludicrous as Favre to the Bills may sound, it could have some terrific merits, most of them non-footbal realted. If people credit Flutie with "saving the franchise" in 1998, imagine what a real NFL QB could do...this isn't Drew Bledsoe folks, its' Brett Fuggin' Favre...git 'er done powersharing triumverant!