Whom Trent Edwards reminds me of.

Justice

Not a JP or a Trent fan. Just making that clear.

Where is all the Trent love coming from? He played "okay" for a rookie. But if we really think that he is going to beat some of the powerhouse teams in the AFC to get us to the playoffs....than we are all drinking the cool aid. I just don't see it.

For the first time ever I am not optimistic about this team. Maybe thats a good thing though since its been how many years since a playoff berth.

You mean you were optimistic for past 10 years? now you're not.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's possible. Maybe TB did embrace BB's cheating ways. But and then again, the Pats didn't cheat last year and look at the monster numbers TB put up. In my mind, there's no questioning TB's greatness. Even though I truly and deeply despise the bastard. And if the Bills finally beat those SOB's I'll be running on the field with joy!!!

We don't really know it the Patriots didn't cheat last year, for certain. They got "caught" at the begininng of the season, and proceeded to blow the doors off of about 3/4 of the teams they played. Included in the carnage were six games against inferior divisional foes. They had a little more trouble with teams they didn't play as often. Even if they never cheated, that may just be the result of just being the better team, and being overly familiar with a divisional oppenent. But if Belechik has been doing this for at least 6 years, even if he turned over every video tape for Roger G to destroy (which I have a hard time believing), he likely has a big advantage (gained unfairly) of knowing the signals of nearly every HC and OC in the NFL. There is a certain amount of that is just part of the game, but to have it all on film, matching signals with plays would take some study time...the Pats had 6 years to study for their test.

Incidently, recently, I purchased a used copy of the NFL Films Super Bowl XX-XXX dvd box set, from a video rental place that was going out of business. For each years Super Bowl hilights, there is the NFL films "Road to the Super Bowl" film, roughly an hour of highlights from the season. I swear, there is one clip, from the 1991 season, where Bruce Coslett (then misrable coach of the Jets, later miserable head coach of the Bengals) is giving some hand signals from the sideline. After he is done, he thrusts his hips, in a suggestive manner. The back-up QB standing next to Coslett chuckles and says, "I like that thrust move"...Coseltt chuckles and says "You never know what they are looking at over there, gotta try to confuse them"...the Jets oppenents? The Bill Belechik coached Celvland Browns. So, it seems that people in the NFL (even turds like Coslett) were cognisant of the fact that Belechik was pre-oocupied with stealing signals, way back then.

Also, when the whole spygate thing first broke, Parcells (HC in NY with BB as his DC) was on ESPN kind of defending Belechik (whom he has a bit of a grudge with) and kind of just writing off as "part of the game...everyone does it, yadda, yadda, yadda" I believed that at first, but now have to wonder if Parcells didn't gain some advantage from his precocious defensive coordiantors cheating ways...as Parcells bashers love to point out, he never won anything without Belechik, his defenisve and AV coordinater. :thumbsup:

You mean you were optimistic for past 10 years? now you're not.

Correct. I'm sick of being let down. I'm excited don't get me wrong. Just going on a "Wait and See" approach this year. If Trent does the same stuff as last year along with our run defense than we are in trouble once again.

Actually really shocked at how many season tickets have been sold this year. Maybe others see a lot more in Trent than I do. But nothing about him excites me. Kind of like a mini-Holcombe to me. Hopefully that changes and he makes huge steps this year. But I'm not holding my breath.

Correct. I'm sick of being let down. I'm excited don't get me wrong. Just going on a "Wait and See" approach this year. If Trent does the same stuff as last year along with our run defense than we are in trouble once again.

Actually really shocked at how many season tickets have been sold this year. Maybe others see a lot more in Trent than I do. But nothing about him excites me. Kind of like a mini-Holcombe to me. Hopefully that changes and he makes huge steps this year. But I'm not holding my breath.

Don't be a jaded Bills fan junkie! I know, I don't want to get too excited by Edwards, because we have been burned so many times...but I just get this strange feeling he is going to be the first stable QB we have had since Kelly. I am not saying he is the next Jim Kelly, or even Tom Brady with his AV equipment, but this is the first guy we have had under center in some time, that I just get a good feeling about. His much ballyhooed and lampooned "poise" shouldn't be diminished. Also, it was evident, even in meaningless pre-season games, that this kid learns quick. He may have some physical limitations, but to me, if his decision making is sound, any perceived weakness of arm will go away. If there is anything that concerns me, it is the injury thing. He is a quick, and mostly good, decision maker...speed makes up for a lot in this game.

Wow I agree that he has to prove his worth yet in the NFL but nothing about him excites you?

Wow I agree that he has to prove his worth yet in the NFL but nothing about him excites you?

What excites me the most is the fact that the late great Bill Walsh thinks the kid is gonna be special.Bill Walsh has never called to congratulate any team on a draft pick up until he called Marv Levy on Draft Day.Bill has coached two HOF QB's in Montana and Young so i trust his expertise.TE entered the league as a far more advanced QB compared to most other rookie QB's.Most rookies do not possess the poise,smarts, and accuracy like a TE,let alone have a winning record in their first season.The future will be bright for TE,Bill Walsh tell us so.

What excites me the most is the fact that the late great Bill Walsh thinks the kid is gonna be special.Bill Walsh has never called to congratulate any team on a draft pick up until he called Marv Levy on Draft Day.Bill has coached two HOF QB's in Montana and Young so i trust his expertise.TE entered the league as a far more advanced QB compared to most other rookie QB's.Most rookies do not possess the poise,smarts, and accuracy like a TE,let alone have a winning record in their first season.The future will be bright for TE,Bill Walsh tell us so.

I'm probably in the minority here, but if Bill Walsh was still alive, his input would not carry near the amazing weight it carries posthumously. I'm not saying his input doesn't have value, but seriously...

I'm probably in the minority here, but if Bill Walsh was still alive, his input would not carry near the amazing weight it carries posthumously. I'm not saying his input doesn't have value, but seriously...

I am with you...I have respect for all Walsh did for the game, but, in his later years, he seemed to be a lobbyist for college QB's. I remember him gushing about Giovani Carmazzi...who, I think, may be a #2 QB in the Areana League, for the Saber-Cats, or some team like that...that said, I still like this Edwards kid. I also like Schonert as OC. I think it could be a productive partnership.

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I'm gonna say it anyways. When I think about whom Trent Edwards reminds me of the most I can't help but think of Jay Fiedler. He reminds me of Jay in a lot of ways, such as smarts, on field leadership, overall calmness and poise in the pocket as well as arm strength. I'm not saying that he won't be better than Fiedler, but I do see a lot of similarities between the two QB's, AS OF NOW.

I've heard comparisons around here with Tom Brady but that is just ridiculous. A QB like Tom Brady doesn't grow on trees. He's one of the All-Time greats. Hopefully TE can become a great QB like Tom and he still can.

I'm not knocking TE in any way. JF won more than he lost and he was a perennial playoff QB with the Fish. I'm hoping TE will be better than JF, of course.

This is what Jay Fiedler's career stats look like:

G CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT RAT

Career 77 1008 1717 58.7 11844 6.9 69 74 66 77.1

Here are Trent's:

151 269 56.1 1630 6.06 7 70 8 70.4

Brady is the beneficiary of cheating. Lets see how he does this year.

This thread has gone way off the topic. Come on now, am I the only one that thinks Trent looks a little like Gomer Pyle? Just a little?

I checked out the photo and I'm going to give you this one, I see it a little......

GO BILLS!

Fiedler was a solid QB- Edwards has ways to go to get to that level. And he will need much better surrounding talent as well.

Fiedler showed flashes of being solid. He was a classic choke artist in the clutch ...and a screw up at the worst of times.

I have stuck up for Brady, and the Patriots, as much as anyone here, before all the cheating allegations came out. I was even accused a few times of being a Patsy troll. Even at first, I thought the "spygate" thing was no big deal, as I suscribed tot he conventional wisdom that every team does it, the Pats just got caught. Then, the more that came out about how complex a cheating system the Pats had in place, the more I had to start to questioning the Pats, and Brady. I am not ready to say that Brady is not a great QB, but I want to see how he does, in his prime, with the "greatest coach" since Lombardi, and the greatest "team" team in modern football. If they didn't get an advantage from the videos, I wouldn't expect them to fall off much, any time soon...I will wait a few years to pass judgement on how great this team, and Brady really are.

As for Bledsoe, I think the Pats did try to help him. I don't know that Drew was comfortable with the set up. If you remember, when Drew came to Buffalo, it was widely reported that he was not a big fan of Belechik, mainly because he was "lied to"...but there were also referneces to "other things" about Belechik that bothered him. Think what you do of Drew, but I think he is a decent guy....is it possible that he wasn't thrilled with the cheating? The sixth round QB from Michigan embraced it, possibly, because it made him into a superstar, when nobody had very many expectations of him. So, you might say, the edge Brady had over Bledsoe, was he embraced the systematic cheating that his coach had devised, and played a key role in it. Bledsoe was an older vet, already set in his ways. When you hear great QB's of the past talk about the Pats situation (Marino, Elway, Kelly, Tarkington, all guys I have heard speak out) they all universally agree that if the allegations of what the Pats were doing would be a "huge advantage" for a QB, you have to at least give it some consideration that some of Brady's "greatness" was developed in dishonest ways.

Anyways, it is all speculation, but the asterik is not going away, in my mind, on the Patriots and Brady, unless that team somehow keeps up their pace for another couple of years. Brady certainly looked human against the Giants, who were not a great football team.

The perfect storm--Belcheatingsystem PLUS a QB with great poise and smarts like Brady. A bledslow wouldnt have won a single SB with new England even with the cheating.

Just a side note, I don't have time to do all the research, but I do know that Walsh did not want Montana as his QB... He was sold on another kid who turned out to be average/below average, it has been discussed here before but the name is escaping me

Just a side note, I don't have time to do all the research, but I do know that Walsh did not want Montana as his QB... He was sold on another kid who turned out to be average/below average, it has been discussed here before but the name is escaping me

Didn't he call Rick Meier (sp?) the next Montana?

Didn't he call Rick Meier (sp?) the next Montana?

I think you might be right.... and it just goes to show, even a QB guru like Bill Walsh can be wrong sometimes..... ( and no, I'm not saying he's wrong about Trent)

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I'm gonna say it anyways. When I think about whom Trent Edwards reminds me of the most I can't help but think of Jay Fiedler. He reminds me of Jay in a lot of ways, such as smarts, on field leadership, overall calmness and poise in the pocket as well as arm strength. I'm not saying that he won't be better than Fiedler, but I do see a lot of similarities between the two QB's, AS OF NOW.

I've heard comparisons around here with Tom Brady but that is just ridiculous. A QB like Tom Brady doesn't grow on trees. He's one of the All-Time greats. Hopefully TE can become a great QB like Tom and he still can.

I'm not knocking TE in any way. JF won more than he lost and he was a perennial playoff QB with the Fish. I'm hoping TE will be better than JF, of course.

This is what Jay Fiedler's career stats look like:

G CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT RAT

Career 77 1008 1717 58.7 11844 6.9 69 74 66 77.1

Here are Trent's:

151 269 56.1 1630 6.06 7 70 8 70.4

I sure hope you are wrong, but your track record speaks for itself. :rolleyes:

There were times when he did look Fiedler-esque last year, hopefully it was just a rookie thing.