Green Bay wants Favre back

for some reason I don't think Brett would settle for this...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3484473

If Favre gets truly serious about a return, the Pack should let him go if he won't start. Get a handshake agreement that he won't go to Chicago or Minnesota and let him play out the string.

He deserves some of the abuse he gets for his indecisiveness. He's also been careless with the football in the last half of his career, possibly not reaching his full potential because of it. But he's been a great part of the game for so long, and despite being a bit self centered, he's been a damn good representative for the NFL. The NBA, MLB or NHL would kill to have that kind of guy as a superstar in their league. IMO, it's not right to block him from playing at this point in his career. And if he wanted to play in Buffalo, I'd love to see it. I like Trent, but he could wait a year or two if the most entertaining player in this generation of the NFL wanted to take some snaps for team snooze-and-lose.

If Favre gets truly serious about a return, the Pack should let him go if he won't start. Get a handshake agreement that he won't go to Chicago or Minnesota and let him play out the string.

He deserves some of the abuse he gets for his indecisiveness. He's also been careless with the football in the last half of his career, possibly not reaching his full potential because of it. But he's been a great part of the game for so long, and despite being a bit self centered, he's been a damn good representative for the NFL. The NBA, MLB or NHL would kill to have that kind of guy as a superstar in their league. IMO, it's not right to block him from playing at this point in his career. And if he wanted to play in Buffalo, I'd love to see it. I like Trent, but he could wait a year or two if the most entertaining player in this generation of the NFL wanted to take some snaps for team snooze-and-lose.

Just a tad. :blink:

I agree Bado, the hang-up seems to be though that Favre's #1 choice (some say his only choice) is to play for Minnesota due to his connections there. Outside of the Pack's division (Chi and Min) there are actually only a few possibilities (Tampa maybe, Seattle a big maybe, and he would be a back-up there as well). I don't think Favre would agree not to go to Minnesota even if GB asked him.

"We want Favre to return as a back-up" = Let's pretend that we want Favre so that another team (of our choice) will give us a draft pick for him.

Exactly.

And who can blame them? They own his rights and should be compensated if they relinquish them so he can play for another team. I don't know why people think the same rules everyone else is subject to shouldn't apply to Favre.

"We want Favre to return as a back-up" = Let's pretend that we want Favre so that another team (of our choice) will give us a draft pick for him.

The speculation in Tampa is the Bucs will trade for him. Garcia has a contract for 08 only & wants an extension. The Bucs so far have refused to offer him one, leading to the Favre speculation.....talk is a second round pick.

IMO, it's not right to block him from playing at this point in his career. And if he wanted to play in Buffalo, I'd love to see it. I like Trent, but he could wait a year or two if the most entertaining player in this generation of the NFL wanted to take some snaps for team snooze-and-lose.

Well, that last sums it up rather nicely as to exactly why it's fantastically remote that Favre would be a Buffalo Bill. Maybe if Hollywood were still dictating the pilot house -- this sort of thing would be right in his Big Media Splash wheel house, enough so he'd give up a ton to make it happen. But, not now with the plodding snooze-and-lose regime bunking behind the nautical wheel.

I generally agree, but truth be told, he's always been a bit careless -- from day one. And I hate to say it, but that's probably one of the key reasons he's been so goddamn good.

I also gotta say that Pack management is kinda nuts. He was, without question, one of the five best QBs in the league last year. And you just know that Aaron Rodgers is gonna suck.

I generally agree, but truth be told, he's always been a bit careless -- from day one. And I hate to say it, but that's probably one of the key reasons he's been so goddamn good.

I also gotta say that Pack management is kinda nuts. He was, without question, one of the five best QBs in the league last year. And you just know that Aaron Rodgers is gonna suck.

He's one of the biggest draws in sports. Pack management is insane.

Yeah, I don't think Rodgers is going to live up to expectations. But it might be that "Joe Dirt" look he's working.

Yeah but he's been jerking them around for years now by dangling the retirement card after every season. How many tear filled press retirements is this guy gonna have, only to change his mind two weeks later? He's like a girl that keeps breaking up with you but later wants to come back. Eventually you get tired of it and tell her to take a hike.

And has anyone considered that maybe the reason Favre has been jerking the Packers around is because he really wants to play somewhere else but doesn't want to trash his Packer legacy by just saying so? So instead he makes mgmt the bad guy. At this stage in his career he might just want to try somewhere different.

Yeah but he's been jerking them around for years now by dangling the retirement card after every season. How many tear filled press retirements is this guy gonna have, only to change his mind two weeks later? He's like a girl that keeps breaking up with you but later wants to come back. Eventually you get tired of it and tell her to take a hike.

And has anyone considered that maybe the reason Favre has been jerking the Packers around is because he really wants to play somewhere else but doesn't want to trash his Packer legacy by just saying so? So instead he makes mgmt the bad guy. At this stage in his career he might just want to try somewhere different.

I doubt it. With him jerking the Packers around every year and hearing the criticism associated with said jerking around, I am guessing that Favre wanted to avoid the criticism this year. As a result, he retired in March. Now, it gets close to training camp and the bruises from last year have healed, he wants to be back. The problem is that the Packers are tired of him jerking them around. You can't blame them. Eventually, the fans are going to tell him to just go away. Some have already started and others are starting to lean that way. If he starts pulling the same stuff with another team, the fans will quickly turn on him. He does not have the legacy with other teams like he does with the Packers. They will not be as forgiving.

I don't think that he went into this to try to get released. He is only asking for the release because he screwed things up with the "Am I retiring/Am I not retiring/I'm retired/I'm not retired" stuff. Honestly, he has nobody to blame but himself.

If he was truly worried about his legacy, he should just stay retired.

By my count, he had 1 press conference and changed his mind in the offseason.

I doubt it. With him jerking the Packers around every year and hearing the criticism associated with said jerking around, I am guessing that Favre wanted to avoid the criticism this year. As a result, he retired in March. Now, it gets close to training camp and the bruises from last year have healed, he wants to be back. The problem is that the Packers are tired of him jerking them around. You can't blame them. Eventually, the fans are going to tell him to just go away. Some have already started and others are starting to lean that way. If he starts pulling the same stuff with another team, the fans will quickly turn on him. He does not have the legacy with other teams like he does with the Packers. They will not be as forgiving.

I don't think that he went into this to try to get released. He is only asking for the release because he screwed things up with the "Am I retiring/Am I not retiring/I'm retired/I'm not retired" stuff. Honestly, he has nobody to blame but himself.

If he was truly worried about his legacy, he should just stay retired.

To reiterate, he was one of the best players in the league last year. If Aaron Rodgers had started last year, you're talking about a team with 6 or 7 wins.