Anyone actually getting an Iphone 3g tomorrow?

Corp000085

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did he stay in line overnight in front of a BMW dealer to get one?

I don't understand why people have an issue with that. Did I wait in line? No, and I won't buy an iPhone, but that's just because I don't like AT&T. But if someone chooses to spend their time (and "spend" would seem like "waste" to you and I) waiting in line to be one of the first to have it, why does that bother some of you? Who cares? Its an item that is super popular because it is "cool" and very, very useful. Is it trendy? Sure. But its also a phone, a PDA, a wireless internet tablet, of the the best MP3 players on the market, and a GPS. So, its not like we're talking about the pet rock.

You guys aren't techies. Thats cool. But to let it bother you that some people love this stuff is ridiculous.

I don't understand why people have an issue with that. Did I wait in line? No, and I won't buy an iPhone, but that's just because I don't like AT&T. But if someone chooses to spend their time (and "spend" would seem like "waste" to you and I) waiting in line to be one of the first to have it, why does that bother some of you? Who cares? Its an item that is super popular because it is "cool" and very, very useful. Is it trendy? Sure. But its also a phone, a PDA, a wireless internet tablet, of the the best MP3 players on the market, and a GPS. So, its not like we're talking about the pet rock.

You guys aren't techies. Thats cool. But to let it bother you that some people love this stuff is ridiculous.

It doesn't bother me but I'm allowed to find something stupid.

iPhones aren't just fads. They are incredibly advanced and useful tools that some of us can really make use of. Yeah they have some shortfalls, but trust me, everyone else is playing catch up and they aren't coming close. The App store alone puts them light years ahead of everyone. Do you know you can listen to streaming audio on iPhones? Not every station, mind you. (WGR's stream, for example, is embedded in their web page and the iPhone tuner can't deal with that yet) But you can now walk around and listen to internet radio with a completely portable hand held device. This is like FM becoming mainstream in the 70's. I'm geeking out.

PTR

That's right everyone else doesn't need the things they think they need, but you do...thanks now I get it.

Because many people, not all, think they need something that they in fact really don't so I feel their money could be best spent (or saved) elsewhere. I need a car, and as a matter of fact in my line of work I need a nice car. In my line of work I see people every day who spend their hard earned money on lots of shiit they do not need but they want. And I imagine lot of those people in line to by a phone were just the types of people I'm talking about.

You have to distinguish between want and need. And many people that want things can't afford the things they want, but because they think they need it they buy it anyway and sink deeper in debt. The country isn't seeing a negative savings rate because people are only buying the things they need. See the real estate market of the past couple of years.

Because many people, not all, think they need something that they in fact really don't so I feel their money could be best spent (or saved) elsewhere. I need a car, and as a matter of fact in my line of work I need a nice car. In my line of work I see people every day who spend their hard earned money on lots of shiit they do not need but they want. And I imagine lot of those people in line to by a phone were just the types of people I'm talking about.

You have to distinguish between want and need. And many people that want things can't afford the things they want, but because they think they need it they buy it anyway and sink deeper in debt. The country isn't seeing a negative savings rate because people are only buying the things they need. See the real estate market of the past couple of years.

Yeah, homes are in foreclosure because people are buying a $199 iPhone...

Twice I was talked into putting money into stock market mutual funds...right before the market crapped the bed. (Current crisis included) At least an iPhone amuses me.

PTR

Yeah, homes are in foreclosure because people are buying a $199 iPhone...

Thanks for understanding. Homes are in foreclosure because people just HAD to have the big house or that rental property. I'm using the iPhone as one small piece of a very big puzzle. There are probably many people that bought the iPhone to make themselves more productive with whatever they do, and of course I'm cool with that. But there are also many people that bought them because they just had to have one. Those are the same people with a $600 car payment they can't afford, the $3,500 mortgage payment they can't afford and the $25,0000 in credit card debt they can't afford because they bought a bunch of shiit they thought they needed but in reality they bought things they wanted. But what do I know right.

Twice I was talked into putting money into stock market mutual funds...right before the market crapped the bed. (Current crisis included) At least an iPhone amuses me.

If you bought a mutual fund for a short term investment that's your mistake not mine. If you bought it for a long term investment then who cares if it goes down right after purchase....hell, buy more.

Do you really? or do you need a nice car to "fit in"? a Toyota wouldn't do? You could be saving the extra money :devil:

Do you really? or do you need a nice car to "fit in"? a Toyota wouldn't do? You could be saving the extra money :thumbsup:

The average person wouldn't take stock recommendations from a guy who drives a Honda Fit, as would a guy not take weight training advice from a guy who is obese.

Do you really? or do you need a nice car to "fit in"? a Toyota wouldn't do? You could be saving the extra money :thumbsup:

Yes I do. And I don't really give people stock picking advice like meazza said. I give them financial planning advice. However he is right that they wouldn't follow the advice of someone that appears poor. But I also recruit people into the industry and who'd want to work in an industry where the managers drive crap cars. And don't worry about my savings ability. I save more per year than many people here make. Thanks for your concern. :wacko:

Yes I do. And I don't really give people stock picking advice like meazza said. I give them financial planning advice. However he is right that they wouldn't follow the advice of someone that appears poor. But I also recruit people into the industry and who'd want to work in an industry where the managers drive crap cars. And don't worry about my savings ability. I save more per year than many people here make. Thanks for your concern. :wacko:

:thumbsup:

Hey guys,

As I mentioned earlier, the company I work for take things apart to discuss what's inside. Here's some videos I made with our company about the iPhone 3G

The waiting is the hardest part...

Part 1 of the teardown:

Part 2:

I got to warn you, the last two videos are kinda technical but if you've ever wanted to know what makes it tick then there you go.

And yes...I know how nerdy my job is.

Just stopped by the mall here in Atlanta at 9:45am...

there was STILL a line that wrapped around the entire top floor.

it actually makes me want one less, but given that it would make my job a lot easier (and give me the ability to work while laying by the pool), im still on the hunt for one.... maybe in august i guess.