Pete Prisco Ranks his Top 50 in the NFL

H2o

My thoughts:

Peterson is low at 15

Kevin Williams is way too high at 10(tommie harris is 36 and williams is 10????)

Roethlisbergers a little high at 17

Woodson shouldnt be anywhere near 18

Westbrook is much better than 20(ask any GM if theyd rather have westbrook or woodson and theyd laugh very very hard)

Gates needs to be higher(hes 24 and jared allen is 12?)

Urlacher and Jackson got screwed at 33-34, both should be top 15

Welker shouldnt be on there, or taylor

Cromartie, Polamalu, Houshmandzadeh, Vince Young, and Anquan Boldin absolutely needed to be on that list.

Also, not to sound like a homer, but Whitner needs to be in consideration too. The guy means everything to our defense.

Whoever mentioned Crowell mustve been kidding. The guy is barely a top 50 player in our division.

Only one Bill makes the top 50 and it's Jason Peters at #27.

link: http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10877567

No Marshawn, no Crowell, no Stroud, no Evans, and I don't think there's anyone else I could mention from our team. One thing is certain and that is that Peters could get BIG MONEY somewhere else. I think our front office needs to re-affirm to this guy that we intend to work out a new deal, just in due time. If he sours on our franchise then we will end up losing one of the top LT's in the NFL and they are hard to come by.

Carson palmer at #8??--well I guess its tough to tell --with that loser defense he has its hard to win.

My thoughts:

Peterson is low at 15

Kevin Williams is way too high at 10(tommie harris is 36 and williams is 10????)

Westbrook is much better than 20(ask any GM if theyd rather have westbrook or woodson and theyd laugh very very hard)

Cromartie, Polamalu, Houshmandzadeh, Vince Young, and Anquan Boldin absolutely needed to be on that list.

Also, not to sound like a homer, but Whitner needs to be in consideration too. The guy means everything to our defense.

Whoever mentioned Crowell mustve been kidding. The guy is barely a top 50 player in our division.

I agree with Vince Young..the guy is a winner and a difference maker even though he isnt the classic QB.

His football IQ is very very high--you could see that at Texas.

Agreed, these lists are made for debate, but hey it's in good fun and something to discuss in the offseason.

Two guys in the 30's-40's who I could see shooting up lists like this in the next year or two is Braylan Edwards (#34) and Patrick Willis (#43).

Does everyone buy the Champ Bailey stigma??? No question, he's talented as hell, and right up there with the best corners in the game...I just feel like he is consistently overrated in grand scheme of things...Does he really change an offense's preparation? I don't see it...Deion was the last guy who effectively wiped out one side of the field. I can't see myself taking Champ Bailey if the NFL had an open draft and I had the #5 pick.

My thoughts:

Peterson is low at 15

I agree with some of your comments but Vince Young? The guy isn't in the top half of starting QBs in the league, there's no way he deserves to be on a list of the top 50 players. I wouldn't have him in a list of the top 100 players.

Agreed, these lists are made for debate, but hey it's in good fun and something to discuss in the offseason.

Two guys in the 30's-40's who I could see shooting up lists like this in the next year or two is Braylan Edwards (#34) and Patrick Willis (#43).

Does everyone buy the Champ Bailey stigma??? No question, he's talented as hell, and right up there with the best corners in the game...I just feel like he is consistently overrated in grand scheme of things...Does he really change an offense's preparation? I don't see it...Deion was the last guy who effectively wiped out one side of the field. I can't see myself taking Champ Bailey if the NFL had an open draft and I had the #5 pick.

I agree 100 percent, and I think Mario Williams is rated too high on here, as well.

I agree in the fact that most of the players on that list are among the tops in the league, however the list screams of hype more than actual talent when it comes to the rankings. The other problem i have with the list is that is tends to hype players based more on 2007, not their entire body of work. I think Mario Williams is going to be a great pass rucher when its all said and done. He showed some real talent last season and was great in the second half. However, they are claiming he's the 2nd best defender in the league, behind Champ "hype" Bailey? Also, what about someone like Julius Peppers? He was a terror his first 5 years in the league, but he has one bad season, and now he's not even a top 50 player?

I agree in the fact that most of the players on that list are among the tops in the league, however the list screams of hype more than actual talent when it comes to the rankings. The other problem i have with the list is that is tends to hype players based more on 2007, not their entire body of work. I think Mario Williams is going to be a great pass rucher when its all said and done. He showed some real talent last season and was great in the second half. However, they are claiming he's the 2nd best defender in the league, behind Champ "hype" Bailey? Also, what about someone like Julius Peppers? He was a terror his first 5 years in the league, but he has one bad season, and now he's not even a top 50 player?

I agree, and I think Prisco would agree with you. Based on his intro, I figured he was making these ratings on how they played last year.

I think Mario Williams is going to be a great pass rucher when its all said and done. He showed some real talent last season and was great in the second half. However, they are claiming he's the 2nd best defender in the league, behind Champ "hype" Bailey?

Isn't it a "right now" list? As you mentioned, Williams really came on last year, especially in the second half. If Prisco projects his improvement to continue into this year doesn't he look like a genius at years end? (if he's right and Williams has a monster year)

It is definitely hype...and he's hoping to add a few "I told you sos" by the end of the season.

Okay, so for the record:

* These lists suck and show bias towards "hyped" players

* (Player from a team the angry mob doesn't like) sucks and doesn't deserve to be on the list

* Champ Bailey is nothing but hype

* One season can make (Wes Welker) or break (Julius Peppers) you where the list is concerned

* Carson Palmer and Charles Woodson are also overrated

* Only one Bills player is considered among the top 50 players IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE???

Any more universal truths we can arrive @ in this thread?

Okay, so for the record:

* Champ Bailey is nothing but hype

Didn't mean to convey my thoughts on Bailey as a universal truth...In fact I mentioned that he is an extreme talent and at the top of the short list of CBs in the NFL.

I guess I'm questioning the stigma of Champ Bailey, and the idea of shut-down corners themselves...I'm skeptical that there is a cover corner in the league who changes a team's offense, post-Deion Sanders at least.

I think if teams challenged Bailey more, they might find his actual coverage skills are not on par with the aura of his coverage skills.

Top 50 player? As probably the best CB in the league, I think there's no question about it. Top 5 player? I'm not a believer.

Didn't mean to convey my thoughts on Bailey as a universal truth...In fact I mentioned that he is an extreme talent and at the top of the short list of CBs in the NFL.

I guess I'm questioning the stigma of Champ Bailey, and the idea of shut-down corners themselves...I'm skeptical that there is a cover corner in the league who changes a team's offense, post-Deion Sanders at least.

I think if teams challenged Bailey more, they might find his actual coverage skills are not on par with the aura of his coverage skills.

Top 50 player? As probably the best CB in the league, I think there's no question about it. Top 5 player? I'm not a believer.

Don't worry 'bout it. I feel the same way in regard to Steve Hutchinson. The hype machine is in full mode where he's concerned. In my opinion, both are outstanding players, but Hutch is the 2nd best guard in the game behind Alan Faneca. But, since every website and rag will tell you he's the best, that's the accepted universal truth.

This is sort of my point. McNally et al gushed over his raw talent, which somehow made it into the commentators' talking points, and which probably largely resulted in him being selected to the pro bowl.

I just question if Peters has been overhyped. Of course, there have been many other NFL players who have been overhyped--e.g., like Adam Archuletta (before people realized 5 years later how bad he was).

I agree with you JR. I am getting real tired about all the Jason Peters hype. He has had ONE strong season at left tackle, only one. The media hype of him has gotten way way out of control. Probably because noone else on the Bills is a "name" player to talk about. But watching him play, I don't think he completely dominated every guy he faced in the same way that Munoz, Boselli, Pace, Walter Jones among others has done.

If he has another strong season the Bills will renegotiate and give him the mega deal he would than deserve. But with three years left on his contract, and only one real strong season under his belt, he needs to come to camp and play under his current deal.

The hype machine in the NFL is just ridiculous. Michael Vick was the most overhyped player in the league for several years. Forget about his demise with the dogs, and he still was so overhyped. The guy could not pass a football accurately, its as simple as that. With him in jail the overhype has transferred to Vince Young who passes the ball worse than Vick ever did. As a fan, one has to forget about the media hype and watch the games yourself to draw conclusions on who can play and who can't.

The hype machine in the NFL is just ridiculous. Michael Vick was the most overhyped player in the league for several years. Forget about his demise with the dogs, and he still was so overhyped. The guy could not pass a football accurately, its as simple as that. With him in jail the overhype has transferred to Vince Young who passes the ball worse than Vick ever did. As a fan, one has to forget about the media hype and watch the games yourself to draw conclusions on who can play and who can't.

While I agree Young doesn't throw nice, pretty spirals, the guy is steadily improving in his decision making (which wasn't awful to begin w/) and has already proven to be solid in the clutch for Tennessee. I think he's a pretty good quarterback.

I agree with you JR. I am getting real tired about all the Jason Peters hype. He has had ONE strong season at left tackle, only one. The media hype of him has gotten way way out of control. Probably because noone else on the Bills is a "name" player to talk about. But watching him play, I don't think he completely dominated every guy he faced in the same way that Munoz, Boselli, Pace, Walter Jones among others has done.

If he has another strong season the Bills will renegotiate and give him the mega deal he would than deserve. But with three years left on his contract, and only one real strong season under his belt, he needs to come to camp and play under his current deal.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I personally attended the game where Vince Young fully dismantled us by himself, when we we mathematically needed to win the game to make the playoffs. Therefore I actually did watch the games myself, and I doubt anyone who was at/watched that game would disagree with him being one of the top 50 players in the league. But hey, maybe I am actually basing this on hype, considering I'm a Jauron hater, #1 supporter that Crowell is overrated, and I still think Losman's good.

And about your Vick statement, your dead wrong. Nobody ever claimed he was the best prototype QB ever. Knock on him all you want because of his spirals, but in the offense he was in, who gives a sh--? The quartback's job is to move the ball down the field, whether it be throwing spirals or running. I would take Vick's running in his prime over most spiral-throwers.