Teens Getting Pregnant...

WWVaBeach

"We found out one of the fathers is a 24-year-old homeless guy," he told Time.

Good luck on that child support.

The high school has done perhaps too good a job of embracing young mothers. Sex-ed classes end freshman year at Gloucester, where teen parents are encouraged to take their children to a free on-site day-care center. Strollers mingle seamlessly in school hallways among cheerleaders and junior ROTC. "We're proud to help the mothers stay in school," says Sue Todd, CEO of Pathways for Children, which runs the day-care center.

But by May, after nurse practitioner Kim Daly had administered some 150 pregnancy tests at Gloucester High's student clinic

So, the taxpayers are footing the bill for 150 pregnancy tests in one month, plus a day care center. Let's remember this nonsense next time someone whines about funding for "education". ;)

Others blamed hit movies like Juno and Knocked Up for glamorizing young unwed mothers.

Naturally. It's always the entertainment industry's fault - movies, TV, video games... ;)

Dan Quayle had the same argument 15+ years ago...remember Murphy Brown?

So, the taxpayers are footing the bill for 150 pregnancy tests in one month, plus a day care center. Let's remember this nonsense next time someone whines about funding for "education". ;)

It didn't take them long to put their hands out looking for public assistance.

To complete the story...

"On Murphy Brown, Bergen played a tough television reporter. Although the show was a successful comedy, it tackled important issues: Murphy Brown, a recovering alcoholic, became a single mother and later battled breast cancer. In 1992, then Vice President Dan Quayle criticized prime-time TV for showing the Murphy Brown character "mocking the importance of fathers by bearing a child alone and calling it just another lifestyle choice." While his remarks became comedic fodder, they paved the way for a subsequent episode to explore the subject of family values within a diverse set of families. Remaining true to the show's humor, Murphy arranges for a truckload of potatoes to be dumped in front of Quayle's residence; a reference to an infamous incident in which Quayle misspelled the word "potato" as "potatoe". In real life, however, Bergen agreed with at least some of Quayle's observations, saying Quayle's speech was "a perfectly intelligent speech about fathers not being dispensable and nobody agreed with that more than I did," according to the Associated Press.".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candice_Bergen

It didn't take them long to put their hands out looking for public assistance.

LBJ's "Great Society" program and legislation were the most craven, vote-grabbing ones I've ever witnessed. Anyone who thinks LBJ was an altruist needs to study some unvarnished history. It destroyed families, communities, people's lives, made them wholly dependent on the State. It very effectively replaced the old Jim Crow laws. And it met its' intent - the voting demographics are stark.

LBJ's "Great Society" program and legislation were the most craven, vote-grabbing ones I've ever witnessed. Anyone who thinks LBJ was an altruist needs to study some unvarnished history. It destroyed families, communities, people's lives, made them wholly dependent on the State. It very effectively replaced the old Jim Crow laws. And it met its' intent - the voting demographics are stark.

True. My Mom taught for 30 years in an inner city school. Many of the girls would get pregnant multiple times on purpose just because it meant a bigger public assistance check.

i realize this isn't the point of the thread, but shouldn't the 24 year old homeless guy be in jail for having sex with minors?

Great, so Joe Taxpayer will have to raise his children and provide him three squares and a bed.

Dan Quayle was essentially correct.

Hollywood loves to give itself credit for breaking down barriers, and I admit that there's no doubt movies and TV have played a role in minimizing bigotry over the years. But if they can have a positive efffect on people, they can have a negative effect as well. I think both effects are small compared to what the parents can do, but I do think they exist.

That is wacky that the girls wanted to get preggo... Honestly, that is beyond bizarre. It is outright lunacy. Neither comprehensive sex ed nor abstinence only programs would have worked with a group of !@#$ed up girls like that. Now, as far as the 24 y.o. hobo is concerned, he may have had sex with the girl figuring that he might be better off in prison.

Now, as far as the 24 y.o. hobo is concerned, he may have had sex with the girl figuring that he might be better off in prison.

We need to see a pic of the girl, before deciding if the hobo was the luckiest hobo around, or doing the girl a favor.

We need to see a pic of the girl, before deciding if the hobo was the luckiest hobo around, or doing the girl a favor.

Bah, he's not going to be a train-hopping "beans in a can eating" crack-head. No hobo-style here.

I'll put $50 on him being a college drop-out loser that lived with his parents up until 6 months ago. I'm sure they up and kicked him out because he always comes home stoned. The "homeless" guy in this scenario is going to be your classic creep that never stopped hanging around the high school. I'm sure he figures all of the girls like him, but truth be told, they're just f%&king him because he's old enough to supply the beer on the weekends.

Everyone knew a guy like this in high school. I can think of a few off of the top of my head. There was always a collection of 20-somethings at all of the parties we'd throw. Guys that just don't want to grow up for whatever reason and wind up "homeless" in the sense that they're consistently crashing at a buddy's house.

You ask anyone at that school who he is and half of the students will tell you he's always at the smoking hangout to pick up his friends at the end of the day. Guy needs to spend a few days behind bars to knock some reality into him.

;) at the thought that she went out and picked up an inner city trash-pickier!