Your first trip to Ralph Wilson (I still call it Rich stadium)

major

Bills Eagles 90-91 season...

I was about 7 years old with my Dad. Bills opened the game in the no huddle exclusively.. something along the lines of 24-3 after the first quarter... Also remember Randal Cunningham having a miraculous safety eluding 98 yard TD pass..

GO BILLS

If I recall, g*ddam JD Williams mistimed his jump by about 10 seconds. Was'nt it later that it came out that williams had some kind of depth perception problem. Im no football coach but isnt the skill of properly judging where the ball is at kinda of important to have for a cornerback playing in the nfl?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills Eagles 90-91 season...

I was about 7 years old with my Dad. Bills opened the game in the no huddle exclusively.. something along the lines of 24-3 after the first quarter... Also remember Randal Cunningham having a miraculous safety eluding 98 yard TD pass..

GO BILLS

That was a great game...I wasn't there, but I wish I had been. That game sort of marekd the official birth of the "no-huddle" as the Bills main source of transportation...it ended up being a little too close for comfort, if you were a Bills fan. IIRC, the Bills scored td's on their first four possessions of the game. Randall's Houdini act, against Bruce, is still one of those great "all-time" NFL highlights. Good game, for your first! :lol:

1981 vs. Redskins. My father and his friends went to the games a lot and tailgated. This time they decided to take us kids. We were all about 10-11 years old at the time. Great game, Bills won. I remember being freezing cold, Theismann getting taunted and pounding the turf like a little baby in a fit of tantrum and Mario Clark sealing the game with a pic. One of the kids barfed about a half dozen times on the way home, including once all over the rest of us kids in the backseat of my fathers' cadillac. As a result, we had to stay in the car while the dads ate at that Italian place on 20A in East Aurora. The last Bills game my father ever attended. I haven't been able to get him to go again.

I was at this game, and paid $5 for a ticket from someone in the bus lot. I always tell people to go there if they're looking for a ticket or two on gameday, because you just know someone in the group was hungover and missed the bus, and the group leader is stuck with an extra ticket or two...or three.

I believe it was the game versus the Patsies where Roland Hooks (?) caught the game winner at the tail end of the game. Naturally I missed it because my husband's best friend brought his whiny wife who complained the whole game how cold she was, so we left early to shut her up. In fact, we didn't know the Bills had won till we got home and stopped at a friend's house and he yelled WOW WHATTA GAME! OOOOOO I was mad.

UGH. Thanks for making me remember. :lol:

I was there too, my Dad wanted to leave, too. We got in the parking lot just in time to hear the roar from the crowd and the PA say "Here's the replay on the scoreboard." Never have I left any game in any sport early since then.

August 1973 - first game in the stadium. It was a preseason game against the Redskins. It started oddly enough - the stands half empty because of the traffic jams, 'Skins RB Duane Thomas climbing into the crowd during the National Anthem to get at a fan who he said threw a thermos at him, and then the Redskins returning the opening kickoff for a TD.

Maybe the place is cursed...

The place is not cursed - just watched over by the graveyard spirits

I made the first game also, on time. Traffic chaos was the rule of the day. Funniest part was all the party and bar buses (mostly school buses back then - with no on board facilities). Traffic was at a crawl and many women (some finely dressed for the occasion) were jumping off the buses, running to the bushes along side the Thruway and "catching" up with the slowly moving vehicle. It took another off-season to get Abbott Road fixed and Milestrip another three.

The stadium was built on time (and budget !) but the roads ? :blink:

The place is not cursed - just watched over by the graveyard spirits

I made the first game also, on time. Traffic chaos was the rule of the day. Funniest part was all the party and bar buses (mostly school buses back then - with no on board facilities). Traffic was at a crawl and many women (some finely dressed for the occasion) were jumping off the buses, running to the bushes along side the Thruway and "catching" up with the slowly moving vehicle. It took another off-season to get Abbott Road fixed and Milestrip another three.

The stadium was built on time (and budget !) but the roads ? :blink:

This sucks as I cannot remember my first time at Rich. I do however remember my first time at the Rockpile. Playing Houston Oilers, cold wind outside, kid beside me walking with his ticket in hid hand and whooshhhhhh, someone just came running up behind him, took that ticket and run like hell. Still effects me to this day how I carry my tickets. First impressions of the Rock were great. Place was ginormous to my 7 year old eyes. Then the excitement after a kick went through and no nets, lordy by brother and I begged my dad to let us down there., but he was worried we wouldn't come back alive.

First time in Rich was a game after a night game. My father said no night games for us, but i still believe that was in the first year it was built. Any help here from fellow old farts? That i do not remember the opponet, only how small it was compared thehe Rock when we came up to it.And the troughs, without a doubt my first case of stage frieght peeing next to all those drunk old men.Wow what an expereinece

Bills-Chiefs, 1973 ... Monday Night Football in Buffalo for the first time ever ... OJ sets a record for carries in a game, and it's broken a few weeks later, BUT he also becomes the first back in NFL history to go over a grand in just the seventh game. It was the first time that year I started seriously thinking a guy could actually get 2,000 in a fourteen-game season. Key characteristic of the game I remember is that the Bills started two separate drives in the first half inside the Chiefs twenty. We sat in civilian airspace ...

Your first trip to Ralph Wilson (I still call it Rich stadium), When was it and what was it like

Sept. 2, 1979.

Tom Dempsey missed a FG in a rain storm to keep the Bills from ending the Dolphins decade long streak over the Bills.

It was a major bummer...,

....but my second game at Rich was the following year when the Bills ended that streak. Goal Posts came down, and Keuchenberg went home a loser.

Sept. 2, 1979.

Tom Dempsey missed a FG in a rain storm to keep the Bills from ending the Dolphins decade long streak over the Bills.

It was a major bummer...,

....but my second game at Rich was the following year when the Bills ended that streak. Goal Posts came down, and Keuchenberg went home a loser.

I'll never forget that game. We were sitting 3 rows behind the Dolphins bench (I switched with a buddy just so I could heckle Shula. Hey, I wasn't above such things then). We were all so stoked to finally have a chance to end the 70s futility. None more so than the guy sitting behind us, who, as Dempsey trotted onto the field to make the easy game winner, said, "I will personnaly run onto the field and kill the SOB if he misses this FG."

Next thing we knew, he had jumped onto the field and started running through jubilant Phin players. Never did see what happened to the guy. I'm sure he was eventually pummeled by security, but damned if he didn't make good on his threat to run onto the field.

The euphoria of that game the following year sure made up for it though. The section of goal post being passed up to RW's suite was something to see.

And Keuchenberg was just as big an A-hole then as he is now.

GO BILLS!!!

That was my first game too! I was 9,OJ caught a TD pass... and there were snow flurries in freaking October!

I do remember it was a miserable day. We were just over matched that day. Colts were very good back then.

I do remember it was a miserable day. We were just over matched that day. Colts were very good back then.

Yes, the Colts were one of the best teams in the league that year. And it was the first game after Lou Saban quit (again!). It was also Fergy's last full game that season... by the following week, all those folks chanting "We want Marangi" were going to get their wish....

Hmmm, 1973, I think. Rich Stadium had just recently opened, maybe the previous year.

OJ and the Bills vs Joe Namath and the Jets.

My best friend's mom got free tickets from her employer (just this once). We caught a bus from the Sestak & Maguire's restaurant at our corner.

A pleasant time was had by all.