Tom Brokaw

bdelma

"Do me a favor. Say a prayer for Timmy. Tip a cold one. And GO BILLS!"

Man...Was that beautiful or what?

Watched the whole Show...NBC did a fantastic Job under almost rediculous circumstances...Just imagine, most of Us have met some of Our closest Friends in life at Our workplaces....Folks become fast Friends because You're spending countless hours per day/week/month/year with these people...And in Russ' case He was just a special kind of Guy to boot...Brokaw was chocked up most of the night...He did a heck of a Job...

I'm not much for Politics, almost NEVER watched "Meet The Press" but I've been a HUGE Russ Fan forever and a day it seems...Anyone who blantantly and with total disregard to possible backlash, Prays for The Buffalo Bills on National Television...On a Political Show no less...well...Y'all know...

Russ was, to Me at least, Our National Spokesman...

Heaven just got a heck of a Buffalo Bills Fan... :cry:

That was poignant.

Been watching all morning - actually tearing up at times. I've never seen anything like this - with person after person having such obvious heartfelt completely genuine affection for the guy.

So sad. Really hits home with the combination of Father's day, Buffalo roots etc. No doubt if the Bills go to the SB this year Tim will have a hand.....

I would have love to see this live, if anyone can find it online for me and post it that'd be awesome.

Sure thing.

Go to

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/

Then, go to the right side of the page where "The life and legacy of Tim Russert" video icon is and click it. The video player will pop up with several videos. Select the one titled "A death in the family". There ya go.

If I knew how to directly link this video in the post I would, but I don't, so I didn't. :cry:

Been watching all morning - actually tearing up at times. I've never seen anything like this - with person after person having such obvious heartfelt completely genuine affection for the guy.

I noticed that too; it's pretty rare to see someone that so many people felt so connected to.

An interview Adam Schefter did with Tim in 2002: http://www.denverpost.com/ci_9578831?source=rss

Among the gems:

AS: When you hear "wide right," do you think of Republicans or Scott Norwood?

TR: I'll tell you, about three or four years ago, I was walking through Reagan National Airport and all of a sudden I felt a tap on my shoulder. "Tim, excuse me, my name is Scott Norwood, and I just wanted to introduce myself." I said, "Scott, stop. I know who you are. I was there, Scott."

AS: Upper or downer that Scott Norwood recognized you?

TR: He wanted to bond over the Bills, not realizing that I still wake up screaming in the middle of the night, WIDE RIGHT!

AS: If you could do any job, what would it be?

TR: Host "Meet the Press." This is it. This is what I love. People work hard all week long in Denver or Buffalo and take care of their families. But on Sunday morning, they sit down and I'm their surrogate. I have the luxury of researching and reading and interviewing and reporting all week long and then on Sunday challenging our political leadership to tell the truth about where they want to lead the country.

AS: So there's no job that you secretly aspire to, like Condoleezza Rice?

TR: This is it. Actually, if I could own the Buffalo Bills and keep the team in Buffalo forever, I'd be very happy. Ralph Wilson has been a great owner. But when he moves on to his final reward, because of taxes, his family will have to sell it and I don't think anyone in Buffalo could afford it. But I still want to host "Meet the Press" — and own the Buffalo Bills on the side.

Meet the Press was awesome this AM. Brokaw, Carville, Matlin, Mike Barnicle, Maria Shriver, Doris Kearns-Goodwin, Gwen Ifel, Betty Fischer (long time Meet the Press Executive Producer). All of Tim's favorites on one stage. It was emotional, funny and hopeful. If you missed it I am sure MSNBC will be running it about a million times.

I have probably missed maybe 20 Meet The Press's in the last 17 years. Its how I tried to stay informed. I will never forget that !@#$ David Duke being exposed for what he was--a pure racist who cared only about his own agenda not about the people of Louisiana. Tim did that in the most humane way possible by asking the dickhead about the economy and literacy in the state in which he was running for Governor and Duke had none of the facts at his grasp.

Last night on his European tour the Boss dedicated Thunder Road to Tim.

This is a huge void -- that he was from Buffalo, hell that he WAS Buffalo on the world stage to many make him all the more admirable. He was a brother in arms to all of us. God Bless Luke and Maureen..God Bless Big Russ....God Bless Sister Lucille and Tim's Sisters...the pain must be unbearable.

I only saw about the last 10 minutes but it was wonderful!

Does anybody know if it will be re-broadcast?

Check MSNBC if you have it -- they're running Meet The Press "classics" and Russert tributes all day.