Bruce vs. Strahan

With strahan retiring my friend and i got in a heated argument about who was an overall better player throughout his career, Bruce or Strahan. My friend is very knowledgable about football and was adamant that Strahan was the better player. I found this proposterous, but I just wanted to see what other people thought. So, Bruce or Strahan, who was better?

I can't imagine who will get the most votes on this board ...

At least through most of his years with the Bills, you always game planned against Bruce & it still didn't help your offense do anything. Bruce was dominant most every Sunday that he was suited up. Strahan has been a great player for most of his career -- I don't want to take anything away from him (except that farce sack against Favre for the single season record).

People tend to forget how good the "old guys" were. Bruce was better than Strahan, no question. Yesterday, one of the talking heads, caught up in the emotion of Strahan retiring, said, with a straight face, that Strahan may have been the "greatest Giant of all-time"! Lawrence Taylor immediately slapped him up side the head...Strahan was a fine player, but he was no Bruce Smith.

Fun with numbers:

Ask your friend how he thinks Strahan would have done in a 3-4.

Next, ask him how many times Strahan was named the NFL Defensive Player of the Year. The answer is once, in 2001. Bruce is one of only five players in league history to earn the honor two or more times, along with Mean Joe Greene, Lawrence Taylor, Mike Singletary, and Reggie White.

Strahan managed double-digit sacks in just 6 of his 15 seasons. Smith? 13 of 19. (That's a record, by the way. Reggie is the only other player with as many as 12.)

Did Strahan make the 1990s All-Decade Team? Nope, the DEs were Reggie, Bruce, Neil Smith, and Chris Doleman. Of course, Smith also made the 1980s squad.

Pro Bowls: Smith 11, Strahan 7

All-Pro selections: Smith 12 (8 first-team), Strahan 6 (4 first-team)

Sacks: Smith 200, Strahan 141 1/2

Strahan was a very good player. Odds are he'll make the Hall of Fame someday. Better than Smith? Laughable.

If he needs any more info on Bruce, just send him my way ...

:devil:

With strahan retiring my friend and i got in a heated argument about who was an overall better player throughout his career, Bruce or Strahan. My friend is very knowledgable about football and was adamant that Strahan was the better player. I found this proposterous, but I just wanted to see what other people thought. So, Bruce or Strahan, who was better?

Well, I question your friend's knowledge based on 2 factors: 1) he is from Jersey and most people I have met from Jersey lack a lot of sense and 2) he rolls with a guy named "Berndogg."

Seriously, though, your friend is out of his mind. As someone mention, Bruce played in a 3-4 where it is really hard to get sacks. Richard Seymour, who is a top 5 DE in the league, plays in a 3-4 and has never had more than 8 sacks in a season. Additionally, Strahan (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/2579/career;_ylt=Audl4Q.htz8e8byvVDlea5D.uLYF) had 852 tackles (only passing 70 tackles 4 times in his career) in 15 seasons for an average of 56.8 tackles per season. Big Bad Bruce (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitBr00.htm) had 1225 tackles (which were killed by his 4 seasons with the Redskins) in 15 seasons for an average of 81.7 tackles per season. He passed 70 tackles 8 times, including twice going over a 100, which is insane for a DE. Furthermore, Bruce played against way better QBs. Marino was the hardest QB to sack in history. Fact in his gap in his teeth and getting taken to the cleaners by his ex-lady, Bruce wins in a landslide over MS.

So take this info to your friend, smoke him verbally, kick him in the junk, and tell your girl I said what's up. :devil:

Well, I question your friend's knowledge based on 2 factors: 1) he is from Jersey and most people I have met from Jersey lack a lot of sense and 2) he rolls with a guy named "Berndogg."

Seriously, though, your friend is out of his mind. As someone mention, Bruce played in a 3-4 where it is really hard to get sacks. Richard Seymour, who is a top 5 DE in the league, plays in a 3-4 and has never had more than 8 sacks in a season. Additionally, Strahan (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/2579/career;_ylt=Audl4Q.htz8e8byvVDlea5D.uLYF) had 852 tackles (only passing 70 tackles 4 times in his career) in 15 seasons for an average of 56.8 tackles per season. Big Bad Bruce (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitBr00.htm) had 1225 tackles (which were killed by his 4 seasons with the Redskins) in 15 seasons for an average of 81.7 tackles per season. He passed 70 tackles 8 times, including twice going over a 100, which is insane for a DE. Furthermore, Bruce played against way better QBs. Marino was the hardest QB to sack in history. Fact in his gap in his teeth and getting taken to the cleaners by his ex-lady, Bruce wins in a landslide over MS.

So take this info to your friend, smoke him verbally, kick him in the junk, and tell your girl I said what's up. :devil:

Will do. This argument is ridiculous, just needed some reassurance that he's the one who's lost his mind, not me. New question, better receiver, arcovio or stern?

While he is at it, tell him to move over to the other side of the line, as well.

I would rank White, Jones, Marchetti and Smith (not necessarily in that order) ahead of Strahan.

I would say they are more comparable than people want to admit, although I do give Bruce the edge. Bruce has had more big seasons and played in the 3-4, yes, but lets not forget that Strahan did not have the benefit of the prolific K-Gun offense which allowed him to tee off on the QB as much as Bruce did. I also will add that Strahan did have better depth on the lines he played on, which Bruce only had towards the end of his time in Buffalo. And to think- for the cost of Gale Gilbert, we could have had Leslie O'Neal opposite Bruce.

Your friend is way off here. Bruce Smith is the 2nd greatest defensive end to ever play the game of football. Reggie White being the first. You can argue Deacon Jones, but I believe that was a different era and the head slap for Christ sake! Do you know how many more sacks Bruce and Reggie would of had if they were allowed to slap the offensive lineman in the side of the helmet? The answer is a lot more. Strahan was a great player and will be in the HOF, but he is simply not on that top tier with the greatest of all time. Reggie, Bruce, LT, Deacon and even Derrick Thomas were all better in my opinion.

Fun with numbers:

Next, ask him how many times Strahan was named the NFL Defensive Player of the Year. The answer is once, in 2001. Bruce is one of only five players in league history to earn the honor two or more times, along with Mean Joe Greene, Lawrence Taylor, Mike Singletary, and Reggie White.

Strahan managed double-digit sacks in just 6 of his 15 seasons. Smith? 13 of 19. (That's a record, by the way. Reggie is the only other player with as many as 12.)

Did Strahan make the 1990s All-Decade Team? Nope, the DEs were Reggie, Bruce, Neil Smith, and Chris Doleman. Of course, Smith also made the 1980s squad.

Pro Bowls: Smith 11, Strahan 7

All-Pro selections: Smith 12 (8 first-team), Strahan 6 (4 first-team)

Sacks: Smith 200, Strahan 141 1/2

Strahan was a very good player. Odds are he'll make the Hall of Fame someday. Better than Smith? Laughable.

If he needs any more info on Bruce, just send him my way ...

:devil:

BOO-YAH! Well played, Lori. :D

Do you know how many more sacks Bruce and Reggie would of had if they were allowed to slap the offensive lineman in the side of the helmet? The answer is a lot more.

As long as you're being specific.

I love Strahan, was always a fan, but I'd say easily there are 3 DE's better than Strahan without question: White, LT, Bruce.

There is likely more, but those three just are not even argueable.

LT as in Taylor? He was an LB.

Right.. I did know that. Pass Rushers, I meant. Excuse my brain lapse.

No biggie. If you are just talking DE's, you should put Jones and Marchetti ahead of Strahan. Give me some time, and I might be able to add a few more. If you add ALL pass rushers, Strahan falls even farther down the list.

It depends on who all is in the Class of 2013 as to whether Strahan is first ballot or not. He is a media darling, so that will help his case. If he gets into broadcasting, he should be a lock. The free buffet seekers club likes to take care of their own.

No biggie. If you are just talking DE's, you should put Jones and Marchetti ahead of Strahan. Give me some time, and I might be able to add a few more. If you add ALL pass rushers, Strahan falls even farther down the list.

It depends on who all is in the Class of 2013 as to whether Strahan is first ballot or not. He is a media darling, so that will help his case. If he gets into broadcasting, he should be a lock. The free buffet seekers club likes to take care of their own.

Agreed, good post.

Not even close--you have to be kidding..

Yeah, they say Deacon Jones would have the sack record if they counted sacks back when he played.