Racism Is Alive And Well In America!

Racism?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Where does racism stand in America?

• It's still very prevalent, just underground now and unspoken publicly.
    • It's not a problem anymore.
  2. 2. To understand the above answers better what are you defined as by society?

• White
    • Black (African American)
    • Latino
    • Oriental
    • Other

Linkage

June 6th, 2008

Indiana man sentenced to 10 years for residential cross burning

Posted: 06:22 PM ET

(CNN) — A 22-year-old Indiana man was sentenced Friday to 10 years in prison for burning an 8-foot cross in front of a house where a woman lived with her three biracial children.

The sentencing of Kyle Milbourn of Muncie came three months after he was convicted by a jury of violating federal civil rights laws by erecting the large wooden cross, dousing it with gasoline and setting it on fire specifically to intimidate the residents because of their race.

“It is deeply disturbing that in this day and age, circumstances still require us to prosecute cases that involve burning an 8-foot wooden cross in front of the home of a biracial family,” said Acting Assistant Attorney General Grace Chung Becker, who heads the Justice Department Civil Rights Division.

– From Justice Producer Terry Frieden in Washington

It's sad to see this anymore but IMO racism is just underground now and a lot of people still have unspoken racist feelings.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The simple fact that it's that newsworthy indicates that it ISN'T alive and well, but is in fact becoming less and less prevalent.

I disagree Tom, it is there and swept under the rug all too often. Hell, I tried writing up a kid this weekend for calling another student a beaner, and I got in trouble more than the kid did. As much as it is not advertised, there are plenty of people that tell !@#$, wetback, gook, jew, and towelhead jokes at work or in private. Most white people do not know what it is to be the victim of racism and racist jokes, and blindly assume that things are kosher.

I disagree Tom, it is there and swept under the rug all too often. Hell, I tried writing up a kid this weekend for calling another student a beaner, and I got in trouble more than the kid did. As much as it is not advertised, there are plenty of people that tell !@#$, wetback, gook, jew, and towelhead jokes at work or in private. Most white people do not know what it is to be the victim of racism and racist jokes, and blindly assume that things are kosher.

You've never heard a "cracker" joke? You've never heard comments along the line of white people are lame, they can't dance, they can't jump, they have smaller penises than blacks, etc...? You've never read comments here at TBD along the lines of white people don't make good defensive ends, cornerbacks, runningbacks, etc...?

What is racism?

Are you talking about hate crimes or just one race's feelings of superiority or inferiority over other racial groups?

The Japanese invented the latter.

Hindus are a close second as they know the rest of the world is simply here to serve them on their way to Nirvana.

Most Muslims come in third - with the Wahabists jumping to the head of the line properly dressed with a pipe bomb vest.

A lot of Puerto Ricans hate American blacks - and the feeling seems mutual.

African-American Blacks often have a real problem with Koreans and Jews.

Hell, light-skinned African-American blacks look down on dark-skinned African-American blacks.

Jews are God's chosen people - see Hindus above.

Crackers are just that - smugly going about business of running the family grocery store.

And let's not forget our good friends the Chinese and Koreans.

Their passion for interracial marriage and multi-culturalism is well known.

If however, you're talking about hate crimes - then when will Rep. Murtha be brought up on charges for giving aid to the enemy in war time by accusing the soldiers in Haitha of being murderers?

The simple fact that it's that newsworthy indicates that it ISN'T alive and well, but is in fact becoming less and less prevalent.

Exactly. Media is less likely to report on every day events like dog bites man than on the uncommon events like man bites dog

You've never heard a "cracker" joke? You've never heard comments along the line of white people are lame, they can't dance, they can't jump, they have smaller penises than blacks, etc...? You've never read comments here at TBD along the lines of white people don't make good defensive ends, cornerbacks, runningbacks, etc...?

Oh, you just don't understand racism. When they are goofing on whites, hetros, Christians, men, etc. it's racism/sexism/hetrophobia, etc. That's all perfectly acceptable.

I'd be interested in knowing more about that.

What is racism?

Are you talking about hate crimes or just one race's feelings of superiority or inferiority over other racial groups?

The Japanese invented the latter.

Hindus are a close second as they know the rest of the world is simply here to serve them on their way to Nirvana.

Most Muslims come in third - with the Wahabists jumping to the head of the line properly dressed with a pipe bomb vest.

A lot of Puerto Ricans hate American blacks - and the feeling seems mutual.

African-American Blacks often have a real problem with Koreans and Jews.

Hell, light-skinned African-American blacks look down on dark-skinned African-American blacks.

Jews are God's chosen people - see Hindus above.

Crackers are just that - smugly going about business of running the family grocery store.

And let's not forget our good friends the Chinese and Koreans.

Their passion for interracial marriage and multi-culturalism is well known.

If however, you're talking about hate crimes - then when will Rep. Murtha be brought up on charges for giving aid to the enemy in war time by accusing the soldiers in Haitha of being murderers?

I'm talking about all racial biases up to and including hate crimes.

Japanese invented feelings of superiority over other races? Please explain.

Explain the comment about Hindus please.

Nice way to say all Wahhabists are terrorists. :blink:

You forgot to add Fundamentalist Christians who believe that they are the only true religious followers of the world and that their support of Israel is only so the final act of their play is possible. Their inability to accept any peace accords in the Middle East involving Israel that affects the outcome of their rapture play is just hurting the way America is perceived in the world. Their political pressure is counterproductive to helping our image when it comes to treating all of those in the Middle East fairly.

Did you mean the soldiers in Haditha?

Congressman John Murtha, D-Pa., a former Marine, was briefed on the Haditha investigation by Marine Corps Commandant Michael Hagee. Murtha said Sunday, "The reports I have from the highest level: No firing at all. No interaction. No military action at all in this particular incident. It was an explosive device, which killed a Marine. From then on, it was purely shooting people."

Murtha was just repeating what he was told. As for your ridiculous assertion that it gave aid to the enemy it's laughable to think that someone in our government being outraged by the behavior is worse for US public relations than trying to sweep the incident under the rug or glossing it over. It actually helps America's image because it shows an anger for the incident and humanizes us.

So we're given a choice b/w 'Damn near everyone's a silent racist' and 'No problem at all.'

This is almost exactly like the junk mail I get from so-called Second Amendment organizations, with such scientific surveys asking,

'Do you want to support Nancy Pelosi's gun-grabbing agenda? Y / N'

and

'Liberals' efforts to take our guns away is A-OK! Y /N'

At least their efforts are pretty thinly veiled, with loaded questions, and then their main objective of getting some stupid sucker to give them $20, $50, $100, whatever for an organization that may or may not just be Wilber Bumf--k operating out of the back of his garage. The fact that we keep getting this trash in the mail suggests that some people are dumb enough to fall for such BS tactics.

Steely, I expect nothing less from someone like you who, along with molson, can't buy a clue.

So we're given a choice b/w 'Damn near everyone's a silent racist' and 'No problem at all.'

This is almost exactly like the junk mail I get from so-called Second Amendment organizations, with such scientific surveys asking,

'Do you want to support Nancy Pelosi's gun-grabbing agenda? Y / N'

and

'Liberals' efforts to take our guns away is A-OK! Y /N'

At least their efforts are pretty thinly veiled, with loaded questions, and then their main objective of getting some stupid sucker to give them $20, $50, $100, whatever for an organization that may or may not just be Wilber Bumf--k operating out of the back of his garage. The fact that we keep getting this trash in the mail suggests that some people are dumb enough to fall for such BS tactics.

Steely, I expect nothing less from someone like you who, along with molson, can't buy a clue.

Yeah, I should have opened a thread where people are free to not vote at all or to express their opinions on the subject freely and point out that they think it's bogus. Sorry, in the future I'll try to do that. :wallbash::blink:

Racism in the US is big business-for the Democrats and the Left- and will never go away. If the Left let it go away they would lose one of their party's main platforms for dividing and pandering. Cockroaches like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton who, by the way, are major players in the Democrat Party, have made tens and hundreds of millions off of others fears.

In the past when someone who was African American ascended to a high position (such as Condi Rice) many on the Left refused to acknowledge her accomplishment and celebrate it with some going as far as referring to her as "Bush's House !@#$".

The fact that a black man has been nominated to run for the most powerful position on earth demonstrates to me you can be whomever you want to be with a few breaks and an ample amount of brains, regardless of what you look like or the color of your skin.

I'm sure the hate merchants will find a way to discount this in their marketing efforts of how Whitey is still keeping the black man down though.

On somewhat related note, I think now is the time to completely abolish ALL affirmative action programs since it has been demonstrated that blacks can ascend to any position in this country that they want to. I would love to ask the Messiah his position on this and I hope along the line someone will.

You forgot to add Fundamentalist Christians who believe that they are the only true religious followers of the world and that their support of Israel is only so the final act of their play is possible. Their inability to accept any peace accords in the Middle East involving Israel that affects the outcome of their rapture play is just hurting the way America is perceived in the world. Their political pressure is counterproductive to helping our image when it comes to treating all of those in the Middle East fairly.

Did you mean the soldiers in Haditha?

Congressman John Murtha, D-Pa., a former Marine, was briefed on the Haditha investigation by Marine Corps Commandant Michael Hagee. Murtha said Sunday, "The reports I have from the highest level: No firing at all. No interaction. No military action at all in this particular incident. It was an explosive device, which killed a Marine. From then on, it was purely shooting people."

Murtha was just repeating what he was told. As for your ridiculous assertion that it gave aid to the enemy it's laughable to think that someone in our government being outraged by the behavior is worse for US public relations than trying to sweep the incident under the rug or glossing it over. It actually helps America's image because it shows an anger for the incident and humanizes us.

Ugh, exactly what peace accords are you referring to? The ones that were brokered by the US? Or the near peace accord brokered by your boy Slick Willy that Arafat walked away from when he was given nearly everything he sought for the Palestinians? Or some other mythical figment of your imagination?

WRT Murtha, he is a POS I no longer consider a Marine. He refused to give our Marines due process and referred to them as murderers in front of the world press...all for political gain. He is the worst kind of scumbag to me. Someone who would sell out fellow Marines for political gain. You do know what due process is, right?

Ugh, exactly what peace accords are you referring to? The ones that were brokered by the US? Or the near peace accord brokered by your boy Slick Willy that Arafat walked away from when he was given nearly everything he sought for the Palestinians? Or some other mythical figment of your imagination?

WRT Murtha, he is a POS I no longer consider a Marine. He refused to give our Marines due process and referred to them as murderers in front of the world press...all for political gain. He is the worst kind of scumbag to me. Someone who would sell out fellow Marines for political gain. You do know what due process is, right?

What do your points about peace accords have to do with my point on Fundamentalist Christians? :blink:

Once again he was going by what he had been told by Michael Hagee. Why isn't there any anger at Hagee?

I think his point is that the world is colored in various shades of gray, while you only offer a black or white choice.

To most people, there's a huge difference between acknowledging stereotypes and burning crosses. People are judgmental by nature, taking that prejudice to a violent level, however, is not natural. When you recognize that difference, then you can have a reasonable discussion on race relations and post whatever poll you want.

I think his point is that the world is colored in various shades of gray, while you only offer a black or white choice.

To most people, there's a huge difference between acknowledging stereotypes and burning crosses. People are judgmental by nature, taking that prejudice to a violent level, however, is not natural. When you recognize that difference, then you can have a reasonable discussion on race relations and post whatever poll you want.

Steely: Aw-www-w!!! Do I have to?!!?!?

And you'll notice that 9 of 11 people fell right into his loaded question trap. :blink:

As long as it keeps working, those who profit from racism fear mongering will not bother to change their tactics.

What do your points about peace accords have to do with my point on Fundamentalist Christians? :blink:

Once again he was going by what he had been told by Michael Hagee. Why isn't there any anger at Hagee?

Steely-Again I ask, what is the basis for your comment on Fundamentalist Christians not respecting peace accords? I'm asking for further clarification about the point you were trying to make. It sounds to me like you have a problem with Christians and are throwing something up and seeing if it sticks.

WRT Murtha- I will do some research and re-post, but Murtha WAS NOT TOLD by Gen. Hagee that his Marines MURDERED IRAQI CIVILLIANS. Gen. Hagee briefed him on an an investigation into the possibility that civilians were murdered. See the difference? That Murtha used the briefing for his political gain (the wat he characterized the suspected Marines) is what I find disgusting.

GG-I'm not sure if you're referring to me in your post, but if so I don't understand your point. I believe that stereotypes are a human defense mechanism that allow us to take mental shortcuts in the absence information. They will never be eliminated. We all have them. I think the whole racism argument is bunk. Certainly there is racism in the US. Only a fool would deny it. What is debatable is the degree to which we should assign importance to it or should use it for a crutch or excuse for our lack of success in life.

I am completely in favot of Equal Opportunity for all. But Equal opportunity DOES NOT NECESSARILY EQUATE TO Equal Outcome.