Racism Is Alive And Well In America!

Racism?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Where does racism stand in America?

• It's still very prevalent, just underground now and unspoken publicly.
    • It's not a problem anymore.
  2. 2. To understand the above answers better what are you defined as by society?

• White
    • Black (African American)
    • Latino
    • Oriental
    • Other

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's ironic that a poll on racism offers Oriental as an option, which is an offensive term to Asians.

Even more ironic that the board's most vehement supporter of the year's most racist campaign is nitpicking about language.

GG-I'm not sure if you're referring to me in your post, but if so I don't understand your point. I believe that stereotypes are a human defense mechanism that allow us to take mental shortcuts in the absence information. They will never be eliminated. We all have them. I think the whole racism argument is bunk. Certainly there is racism in the US. Only a fool would deny it. What is debatable is the degree to which we should assign importance to it or should use it for a crutch or excuse for our lack of success in life.

I am completely in favot of Equal Opportunity for all. But Equal opportunity DOES NOT NECESSARILY EQUATE TO Equal Outcome.

Holy cow, I have no clue what just happened. I wasn't replying to your posts, but to Steely Dan. He must've deleted the post I replied to, as it was meant for his black & white post.

One point of clarification. Stereotypes aren't a natural defense, but people use stereotypes to prejudge, which is a natural human mechanism. When prejudice crosses the line into bigotry, hatred & violence that's when the real problems start.

Holy cow, I have no clue what just happened. I wasn't replying to your posts, but to Steely Dan. He must've deleted the post I replied to, as it was meant for his black & white post.

One point of clarification. Stereotypes aren't a natural defense, but people use stereotypes to prejudge, which is a natural human mechanism. When prejudice crosses the line into bigotry, hatred & violence that's when the real problems start.

I haven't deleted any posts. :blink:

I'm talking about all racial biases up to and including hate crimes.

Japanese invented feelings of superiority over other races? Please explain.

Explain the comment about Hindus please.

Nice way to say all Wahhabists are terrorists. :blink:

You forgot to add Fundamentalist Christians who believe that they are the only true religious followers of the world and that their support of Israel is only so the final act of their play is possible. Their inability to accept any peace accords in the Middle East involving Israel that affects the outcome of their rapture play is just hurting the way America is perceived in the world. Their political pressure is counterproductive to helping our image when it comes to treating all of those in the Middle East fairly.

Did you mean the soldiers in Haditha?

Congressman John Murtha, D-Pa., a former Marine, was briefed on the Haditha investigation by Marine Corps Commandant Michael Hagee. Murtha said Sunday, "The reports I have from the highest level: No firing at all. No interaction. No military action at all in this particular incident. It was an explosive device, which killed a Marine. From then on, it was purely shooting people."

Murtha was just repeating what he was told. As for your ridiculous assertion that it gave aid to the enemy it's laughable to think that someone in our government being outraged by the behavior is worse for US public relations than trying to sweep the incident under the rug or glossing it over. It actually helps America's image because it shows an anger for the incident and humanizes us.

1. Contact Dick Cavett for an explanation. I was quoting him. He was probably referring to Nippon pre- 1853 and of course their beneficent conduct during WWII.

2. You obviously don't work or know many. Most that I've met are racist, sexist and smug in their disregard for others. It's as though - as I said - no one else matters. No one.

3. I'm glad to see you agree. They are because they foment hatred of all non-muslims.

4. No I didn't. You don't know a cracker? However, your derivative argument is spurious.

5. Laugh if you must. Just be sure to check who's laughing with you. And logically extending your argument, President Bush was ok to behave as he did because the CIA told him Sadam had WMD. Maybe you should email him with your new found respect and express your support.

Once again he was going by what he had been told by Michael Hagee. Why isn't there any anger at Hagee?

Nobody made Murtha go on TV to call the Marines murderers. He did that on his own.

If he had any shame at all, he'd resign. A congressman shouldn't go on national TV at a time of war and call our troops murderers without due process just so he can score some political points. Murtha is a complete scumbag.

Pasta-Nice job switching gears so fast and learning the DNC Talking points...John McBush huh.

That's quite original, did you come up with that by yourself? :blink:

"My political party, right or wrong." - PastaJoe, 2008

I agree...you wrote it better than I.

"My political party, right or wrong." - PastaJoe, 2008

The policies are more important than the candidate. I have to support the person who's more likely to enact the policies I want, even if they're not my first choice.

However if you follow Hillary, you'll support Obama in the General. :D:thumbsup:

How about thinking for yourself instead of playing follow the leader?

Ham and Cheese Hotpockets® :(. How long until the next season of American Idol® starts?

How about thinking for yourself instead of playing follow the leader?

Ham and Cheese Hotpockets® :D. How long until the next season of American Idol® starts?

Actually I have been supporting Obama since he first announced. No idea on when the next season of American Idol starts... don't watch it.

There will always be racism everywhere, not just our country. We are a progressive nation and race relations are as good, if not better then anywhere else in the world. Like I always tell people- if you want to see racism- travel anywhere outside the USA. There are many racists in the USA, but most Americans are not racist. We live in a free society, and people have the right to be ignorant

Linkage

June 6th, 2008

Indiana man sentenced to 10 years for residential cross burning

Posted: 06:22 PM ET

(CNN) — A 22-year-old Indiana man was sentenced Friday to 10 years in prison for burning an 8-foot cross in front of a house where a woman lived with her three biracial children.

The sentencing of Kyle Milbourn of Muncie came three months after he was convicted by a jury of violating federal civil rights laws by erecting the large wooden cross, dousing it with gasoline and setting it on fire specifically to intimidate the residents because of their race.

“It is deeply disturbing that in this day and age, circumstances still require us to prosecute cases that involve burning an 8-foot wooden cross in front of the home of a biracial family,” said Acting Assistant Attorney General Grace Chung Becker, who heads the Justice Department Civil Rights Division.

– From Justice Producer Terry Frieden in Washington

It's sad to see this anymore but IMO racism is just underground now and a lot of people still have unspoken racist feelings.

If - as the primary voting seems to indicate - 98% of black Americans will vote for Obama in the general election, do you think they are voting along racial lines?

Are they racist? Will you label them as such?

And if 98% of non-black Americans vote for McCain, would you call them racist?

If - as the primary voting seems to indicate - 98% of black Americans will vote for Obama in the general election, do you think they are voting along racial lines?

Are they racist? Will you label them as such?

And if 98% of non-black Americans vote for McCain, would you call them racist?

Anybody from either side who votes for their candidate primarily because of their ethnicity is a racist. I don't buy the excuse that blacks voting for a black candidate because he's black isn't racist because of historical oppression. If they do that, they're discriminating against the non-black. It applies both ways. That doesn't mean all blacks voting for Obama are racist, or all whites voting for McCain are racist. But the one's voting primarily because of race are.

Anybody from either side who votes for their candidate primarily because of their ethnicity is a racist. I don't buy the excuse that blacks voting for a black candidate because he's black isn't racist because of historical oppression. If they do that, they're discriminating against the non-black. It applies both ways. That doesn't mean all blacks voting for Obama are racist, or all whites voting for McCain are racist. But the one's voting primarily because of race are.