Lynch's Silence

Nobody's blaming her and I think everyone expects this to cost Lynch a pretty penny. No issue there. Assuming he was driving, he deserves it and he's got the money.

For the love of God, please go back and read the post from the 'Zone about how our legal system works. Presenting a defense is a lot smarter than 'begging for mercy'. :blink:

Once again, it's not a misdemeanor until they agree to something to plea to, which is why they are handling it as they are so as to ensure that there won't be jail time. A PR 'disaster' is a small price to pay compared to jail and beside tend to have a very short shelf life in this country. And you can bet that the minute he rip off a game winning TD no one will give a damn about this incident.

I realize that your personal impatience should dictate the legal defense of someone you've probably never met, but I think if you can hold out just a bit longer we'll get all the answers.

It's your opinion that he's doing the right thing, it's mine that he's done the wrong thing. That's it. You don't need to bang your head on the wall, this isn't a courtroom. You'll have your day to extoll the virtues of due process.

But, there is going to be a divide on this issue. Here. In the stands. In the locker room and in the offices at OBD. I'm all for giving people second chances, mistakes happen. But a lack of accountability from a star player is the bigger issue for the Buffalo Bills, who have shown precious little fortitude the past 8 years. Contrary to offseason optimism, this is still a losing organization. I believe turning it around kinda STARTS with accountability. If he can't sack up now, what's he going to do when the going gets tough on the field and he's got easy targets like Jauron, Schonert, Edwards etc.. to blame? That's where character matters.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except he didn't stop, so now he has to do WHAT IS BEST FOR HIM. That means getting a really good lawyer and letting the guy do his job while you sit at home and keep your mouth shut. That's the system, regardless of whatever perfect world you're looking for.

And it's going to be really interesting to see just how far the Commissioner pushes this given the precedents set in cases like Leonard Little's.

You have been conspicuous by your absence. Now I see why. Less than nothing. BTW, how does Lynch fall in your "moral courage" category?

As I've read all the Lynch postings ... here and in the other threads where I had posted my thoughts on the matter, having had a family member killed by a hit-and-run ... I am literally shocked at the number of postings coming down on the side of Marshawn.

Can you explain what you mean by "coming down on the side of Marshawn"? What side is that exactly? Are you upset that people think Lynch has the right to defend himself?

I have yet to see a post where someone said that he shouldn't be punished (if he was guilty).

It's your opinion that he's doing the right thing, it's mine that he's done the wrong thing. That's it. You don't need to bang your head on the wall, this isn't a courtroom. You'll have your day to extoll the virtues of due process.

No, it's my opinion is that he has the right to defend himself as he sees fit within the confines of the law. Apparently you don't.

I'm all for giving people second chances, mistakes happen.

:blink:

All evidence to the contrary.

You have been conspicuous by your absence. Now I see why. Less than nothing. BTW, how does Lynch fall in your "moral courage" category?

I prefer to wait until someone is actually convicted of something to render judgement. I'm pretty consistant that way.

What exactly do you mean by "moral courage"? I'm not sure I've used that phrase and that's probably for good reason, since it makes no sense.

Except he didn't stop, so now he has to do WHAT IS BEST FOR HIM. That means getting a really good lawyer and letting the guy do his job while you sit at home and keep your mouth shut. That's the system, regardless of whatever perfect world you're looking for.

And it's going to be really interesting to see just how far the Commissioner pushes this given the precedents set in cases like Leonard Little's.

Unless you consider a person's soul more important than his wallet, which I do. "What's best for him" in my world is doing what will square it with his Creator, not his attorney. And I don't need you telling me the world isn't perfect, believe me. But "what's best for him" in the long run - read "eternity" - would be to tell his LAWYER to shut up, and do what he knows to be right. Again, we strongly disagree.

Unless you consider a person's soul more important than his wallet, which I do. "What's best for him" in my world is doing what will square it with his Creator, not his attorney. And I don't need you telling me the world isn't perfect, believe me. But "what's best for him" in the long run - read "eternity" - would be to tell his LAWYER to shut up, and do what he knows to be right. Again, we strongly disagree.

Unless I am mistaken, all he needs to do to square this with his creator is to ask forgiveness, admit he sinned and say about six Hail Marys anytime in the next 50 years or so.

Unless I am mistaken, all he needs to do to square this with his creator is to ask forgiveness, admit he sinned and say about six Hail Marys anytime in the next 50 years or so.

That pennance is for priests who fondled young boys. :blink:

The punishment required for Lynch will be significantly steeper -

especially if his priest is from Boston.

You ARE mistaken. He cannot further seek to escape the worldly consequences for his actions, and then ask forgiveness after the fact. If he does, the request for forgiveness will fall on deaf, if divine, ears.

You ARE mistaken. He cannot further seek to escape the worldly consequences for his actions, and then ask forgiveness after the fact. If he does, the request for forgiveness will fall on deaf, if divine, ears.

Wait, what about asking for forgiveness on one's deathbed? :blink:

Man, those rules on divine forgiveness sure are confusing. Not that there is a god. Oh wait, did I just let that slip?

Dude, he scraped the leg of some drunk CANADIAN broad. God has really got to have bigger things to worry about.

If he really gave a crap about Canadians he would not have made them live in Canada.

Dude, he scraped the leg of some drunk CANADIAN broad. God has really got to have bigger things to worry about.

If he really gave a crap about Canadians he would not have made them live in Canada.

We have a winner. :blink:

Yeah, but you're probably the biggest hypocrite I've ever run across on the internet. So when you get to the afterlife, tell your imaginary friend I said "hey". :blink:

That based on your "one-on-ones" with the Almighty or you just spewing hope and trying to pass it off as fact?

Just curious, why the hate for Canadians ? I've noticed a few other threads hating on Canadians, or is my sarcasm detector not working ?

Just curious, why the hate for Canadians ? I've noticed a few other threads hating on Canadians, or is my sarcasm detector not working ?

I don't hate Canadians.

I pity them a bit but I don't hate them. I don't post much about them but when a bunch of drunk Canadians are walking around like "Night of the Living Dead" on Buffalo streets and one accidentally gets scraped I don't think the world is coming to an end.

This is getting beat into the ground folks and has brought out a lot of emotion - this is understandable. The fact that this has raised theological issues is actually

appropriate (although difficult and sad to read as people argue about this) since we ARE discussing not only the legal ramifications but also the moral implications. I am a

scientist married to a minister ("RevNJoisy - we often joke that it is appropriate that the minister married a man who works for NOAA - pronounced "Noah"). Although

in my field (climate research), we can spend our careers investigating and studying SCIENCE we cannot answer the MORAL questions. What is morally RIGHT cannot be

measured - societal belief systems (theology, etc)- make these determinations.

As to Marshawn, I too reacted with "Oh no! It can't be true. Don't let it be true. Don't suspend him or put him in jail! We NEED him on the field". In my defense, that was

an emotional reaction based on my love of the Bills which (all too often I admit) supercedes almost everything else. But now, as time has passed, my desire for justice has

prevailed. What do I want?

1.) The facts of the case to come out publicly - including any plea bargain

2.) Lynch to receive the NORMAL punishment that societal laws decree

3.) The NFL should punish Marshawn based exactly on their rules(no more, no less)

4.) If he admits guilt I want a public apology in addition to his legal punishments OTHERWISE I will reject him as Bill. I NEVER boo but if he "gets away" with

this - assuming he HAS plead guilty to something (NOTHING has been proved at this point concerning his involvement) - I will reject him

#4 should include him becoming the Poster Child for How One Can "Fall" and fail - I want a public community service effort led by Marshawn and supported with his money.

If alcohol was involved in the incident (which no doubt will NOT be part of the "record" HE will know this), I expect him to be involved with Don't Drive Drunk campaigns. He

should not be behind the scenes but in the open about his involvement. This would be another "I'm guilty and I'm sorry" to the community for his shameful (if proven) behavior.

And if he doesn't like #4 - show him the door.

My final comment - I HATE all of this. I want the Bills to win with every fiber of my soul but not at the expense of what is RIGHT. So, if you did this Marshawn, count yourself the luckiest man alive in

that the girl was only slightly hurt. Your PENANCE is as I described: Full and normal legal penalty, monetary (lawsuit, baby!), and public contrition. Then, you are forgiven but on probation with WNY.

Don't like it? There's the door. Don't let it hit you on the butt on the way outta town.