Pressure Building for punishment in new Pats* scandal

AKC

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Florio from ProFootballTalk.com wrote the opinion. I have trashed the site numerous times over the years...but I may have been too harsh...Its actually pretty decent--the last year or so I think Florio is actually trying to balance the need to break news with some thoughtful analysis.

Mike Florio from ProFootballTalk.com wrote the opinion. I have trashed the site numerous times over the years...but I may have been too harsh...Its actually pretty decent--the last year or so I think Florio is actually trying to balance the need to break news with some thoughtful analysis.

I have never understood why people here hate Florio so much. I have always found his stuff to be pretty well done, and his opinions fairly well grounded.

No matter what else we argue on, i am fully with you on this topic. The pats* are a bunch of scumbag cheaters, and they have shown that they are willing to cheat and use falsehoods and do whatever else it takes to win in the NFL. The filth infests that organization* from the very top down to the very bottom. They cultivate and encourage a culture of cheating just to ensure a few victories. From the HGH to the videotaping to the blocking and/or using other frequencies for the QB to the encouraging cheap shots to the using IR players in practice, the franchise as a whole is downright despicable. What they need is to receive the equivalent of college football's death penalty. It should start with a ban to belicheat*, multimillion dollar fines to kraft to the loss of multiple draft picks.

But most likely, Goodell will say that the pats* have suffered enough and try to sweep this under the rug.

But most likely, Goodell will say that the pats* have suffered enough and try to sweep this under the rug.

I'm miffed by the lack of attention the offensive signal's tape emergence has spawned. Maybe I missed something along the way here- but early on didn't Goodell's "breadth of the violations" speech indicate that the league's position- based on his interview(s) of Rosie Ruiz, excuse me Bill Belichick*- was that the signal theft was limited to the defensive side of the ball?

I'm miffed by the lack of attention the offensive signal's tape emergence has spawned. Maybe I missed something along the way here- but early on didn't Goodell's "breadth of the violations" speech indicate that the league's position- based on his interview(s) of Rosie Ruiz, excuse me Bill Belichick*- was that the signal theft was limited to the defensive side of the ball?

I believe it was. But now he's trying to sweep everything else under the whole "500K and a 1st rounder" penalty. He doesnt want to have to admit that the pats* 3 SB's are a complete sham and should be stripped.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out as we get closer to opening day. EVERY talking head has been eager to brush it aside, and in fact last week Adam Schein and Solomon Wilcox had Senator Lindsay Graham from South Carolina on to further push the whole "the Senate has more important things to do" thought process. There was a lot of "we respect Mr. Specter crap, BUT", yet I'd be willing to bet they had no choice but to get a Senator from an NFL-less state like SC where Gamecocks rule and all other teams drool. Notice they didn't talk to Clinton or Schumer from New York, or Martinez or Nelson from Florida, etc.

This isn't going away. I look forward to it gaining more traction as we get closer to August.

This isn't going away. I look forward to it gaining more traction as we get closer to August.

It will go away.

The NFL has on its side:

- several cities that dole out taxpayer's money giving a free place of business for a private business based on votes cleverly garnered by NFL p.r. campaigns targeted to folks already on the tax-free dole (no skin off their hide). And some of these cities or counties have bond debentures outstanding. So no rocking of the boat by them.

- there is a bunch of media outlets with broadcast contracts, clout, advertising coming into the till, and campaign cash to fork over. They won't report things against their pecuniary interests.

- the historically cheesy and waffling Senator from Pennsylvania aside, no other members of our native aristocracy are picking up the cause.

- fans' clamoring for tickets continues.

Edited by stuckincincy

I'd like to address this whole "Senate has more pressing issues" talk.

The Constitution gives the legislative branch the power to regulate commerce. Last I checked, the NFL is a multi-billion dollar interstate business that also directly impacts commercial relationships in other multi-billion dollar industries. If there are participants in the private enterprise that are interfering with the commercial dealings of others, then it's totally within Congress' rights to investigate and regulate if necessary.

I'd like to address this whole "Senate has more pressing issues" talk.

The Constitution gives the legislative branch the power to regulate commerce. Last I checked, the NFL is a multi-billion dollar interstate business that also directly impacts commercial relationships in other multi-billion dollar industries. If there are participants in the private enterprise that are interfering with the commercial dealings of others, then it's totally within Congress' rights to investigate and regulate if necessary.

As in the Clinton Administration once trying to federally charge a punk that held up a 7-11 in Tennessee because his getaway car was a GM car manufactured in Oklahoma City? Where is the line drawn?

In my opinion, the Legislative and Judicial branches have been lifting their legs on the Constitution for the better part of a century. I'm not inclined to offer them more food...

I believe it was. But now he's trying to sweep everything else under the whole "500K and a 1st rounder" penalty. He doesnt want to have to admit that the pats* 3 SB's are a complete sham and should be stripped.

He's afraid of what else will come out if he pushes things. Squeeze bill* any more and there's plenty of puss that will ooze out. He'll go public with every violation he's aware of regarding other teams and the whole house of cards will come atumblin down.

As in the Clinton Administration once trying to federally charge a punk that held up a 7-11 in Tennessee because his getaway car was a GM car manufactured in Oklahoma City? Where is the line drawn?

In my opinion, the Legislative and Judicial branches have been lifting their legs on the Constitution for the better part of a century. I'm not inclined to offer them more food...

When it's written into their job requirement they should do it; and this is the case for them to do their job. I think that a multi-billion dollar industry behaving badly merits more importance than your example.

ps - Last I checked, the "Clinton Administration" was never part of Legislative, nor was/is the Justice Department.

When it's written into their job requirement they should do it; and this is the case for them to do their job. I think that a multi-billion dollar industry behaving badly merits more importance than your example.

ps - Last I checked, the "Clinton Administration" was never part of Legislative, nor was/is the Justice Department.

Yes, it's not. I expected the noting of such, and posted it to illustrate that all branches get in on the fun.

Personally, any show business - which is what sports are - should never have had any especial protection.

However, show business is one of a few that can wipe off their feet in the face of the paying customer, confident that they will come back for more. See also the medical community.

They hawk, and depend on emotion. So they are not going to be spanked by any legislature, save the occasional getting of face time or jumping in front of a popular parade of the moment. Legislators and sports business owners are birds of a feather.

However, show business is one of a few that can wipe off their feet in the face of the paying customer, confident that they will come back for more. See also the medical community.

They hawk, and depend on emotion. So they are not going to be spanked by any legislature, save the occasional getting of face time or jumping in front of a popular parade of the moment. Legislators and sports business owners are birds of a feather.

Doesn't sound too different than any other industry, other that they don't sell you a tangible product. But they still sell you stuff on the guise that everything is on the up and up. To me there's no difference in Congressional involvement to clean up mobbed up operations or any other scams that defraud consumers.

Doesn't sound too different than any other industry, other that they don't sell you a tangible product. But they still sell you stuff on the guise that everything is on the up and up. To me there's no difference in Congressional involvement to clean up mobbed up operations or any other scams that defraud consumers.

Bingo.