Donte Witner 97 Rock interview

Ya no kidding. If only every post was so awesome.

That guy was such a great draft pick. Well worth the #8 pick. Love him. He's our

They picked him because they knew he had leadership skills. I bet Halo Ngata (whatever his name is) wouldn't have the same impact on the OTHER players (teaching new guys the ropes, setting the standards for the team).

The Bills HAD to make that #8 pick count, so they picked a guy they really expected to be a consumate pro, on the field and in preparation.

He was the right pick.

For certain posters around here who think that the Whitner pick was a "waste" or "reach", you had better listen to this interview. The guy is my age (24?) and you can tell he is wise beyond his years. How can you not like this guy after listening to that? I really think that with the additions to the D, he will thrive this year and be the game changing playmaker that we're all hoping for. Aside from what he can do on the field, what he brings to the team in the locker room is just as important. We're very lucky to have him as a cornerstone of the defense (hopefully for many years to come).

Awesome interview!! Love that he has the Thursday meetings at his house!! (Jim Kelly Jr.)

This guy is most likely why the Bills drafted Hardy. If Hardy is looking for guidance, which I believe he desperately is, this is the guy to lead him through his troubles!!

I'm listening now and the more this interview goes on the more impressed with him I am. :lol:

To sum up for the guys who don't want to listen all I can say is wow! :lol:

Thanks for a great post. I'm so glad that Whitner is on our team. I suddenly feel very optimistic about Hardy because of having a teammate like Whitner. I truly believe that he will have an impact on James and help bring the best out of this young man. I also love the sense of the team comrodity that is forming between our veterans and the young additions. It wasn't mentioned but I get the sense that Stroud is involved and is also helping in showing our young guys about having the attitude and mentality that it takes to be winners. I think that we are all in for a very pleasant surprise with our team this year.

Interviews such as this drive home the point that it is unwise to put someone into a particular category and presume that person can never change. Donte had an admitted incident with a woman that cast him in a very poor light -- deservedly so. Young men -- particularly those who grow up without the stability most of us enjoyed -- often make mistakes; some of them quite serious. We hope they learn from those mistakes and never repeat them. I could prepare a list of mistakes I made in my teens and twenties, but I don't have all day.

Listening to Donte's interview, I detect a level of sincerity and maturity in his voice that can not be "faked." If I'm going to devote my time, money, and emotions to a group of men playing a kids' game, this is the type of guy I want to root for.

Go Bills!

Interviews such as this drive home the point that it is unwise to put someone into a particular category and presume that person can never change.

It is at least as unwise to think that others will definitely change.

As for Whitner, he seems like a good kid, and he is a good player. I hope that this is the season that he will live up to being a # 8 in an NFL Draft, especially given the fact that Levy (and of course Jauron) turned down some rather large offers to trade down.

A few picks and forced fumbles are not much to ask from a # 8, right?

A Great Post on this very subject I read this morning on BZ by LifeTimeBillsFan:

You know, Pat, you're right: it would be nice if Whitner improves on those stats. If the players around him stay reasonably healthy, it is quite reasonable to expect Whitner, entering his third season in the league, to step up and be more productive than he was last season.

But, it would also be nice if you checked out the stats of Bob Sanders--the player that Whitner was drafted to be for the Bills' Tampa 2 defense--over his first couple of seasons on NFL.com. Or, at least, had read the information that I posted comparing Whitner's first two seasons with the Bills to Sanders' first three seasons with the Colts before you criticize Whitner's stats.

The numbers are eerily similar: in 24 games (22 starts), Sanders had 119 solo tackles, 33 assists, 4 passes defensed, two interceptions, no forced or recovered fumbles--Sanders, who got some of his tackles on STs, also missed 22 games over those three years with injuries.

While Sanders had a good sophomore season, comparable in numbers to Whitner's rookie campaign, he was not yet the force that made him the NFL Defensive MVP until he returned from the injury that caused him to miss 12 games during his third season and played a major role in the playoffs in 2006.

If you read the comments that were made about him after he was drafted by the team, the Bills drafted Whitner not only to be their Bob Sanders on the field, but to be a team leader. And, this is just more evidence of the fact that he has stepped to become the leader that they drafted and expected him to be.

Now, with cast of players around him, if his teammates can stay reasonably healthy, perhaps Whitner will be able to concentrate on becoming more of a play-maker and difference-maker for them on defense this coming season. Hopefully, he will be able to step up and fill that role on the field.

Good question. Ronnie Lott averaged around 4 INTs a season for his career, with a couple of stellar seasons (10 and 8) thrown in. Through five years, Troy Polamalu has a total of 10 picks. I think those are good benchmarks, as Lott is certainly considered the premiere strong safety of his era and Polamalu is in the conversation currently. I personally don't think draft position is relevant.

I'd like to see Donte come up with 2-3 picks this year, and I don't think that's too much to ask.

Kudos to the 97 Rock team for "backing the Bills". This station is what being a "Buffalonian" is all about. They know Buffalo, the support their team and their players. This is why they are #1 in the market- and have been for 30 years. This is great stuff. Thanks for the link.

Kudos to the 97 Rock team for "backing the Bills". This station is what being a "Buffalonian" is all about. They know Buffalo, the support their team and their players. This is why they are #1 in the market- and have been for 30 years. This is great stuff. Thanks for the link.

Are you trying to say that WGR would never have had that interview?! ;)

It is at least as unwise to think that others will definitely change.

As for Whitner, he seems like a good kid, and he is a good player. I hope that this is the season that he will live up to being a # 8 in an NFL Draft, especially given the fact that Levy (and of course Jauron) turned down some rather large offers to trade down.

Hopefully, this year he won't have to play with one free safety who was a receiver last year; another who is about 5;5", 150 lbs (loved Jim L's effort though); an undrafted free agent corner who was a 1st year starter (though Greer def. proved himself); and an undrafted free agent MLB (MLB are very important in cover 2 pass defenses).