September 10, 2006

Jauron's first regular season game with the Buffalo Bills was in New England.

It was Perry Fewell's first game as a defensive coordinator, and featured a recently gutted Buffalo team pitted against a New England squad which would later advance to the AFC Championship. On the first play of the game, Takeo Spikes, just off a surgery which was meant to be rehabbed for AT LEAST another five weeks, made the last great play of his career. Dropping back to pass on the first play of the game, it wasn't but a second after Brady planted his back foot that he was slathered by a rabid Spikes violently ignited by eleven months of injury restraint*.

It was something Bills fans had rarely seen, and something they have rarely seen since: an unexpecting Tom Brady.

It was a game in which Buffalo had NO business staying competitive. Yet strangely, going into halftime IN FOXBORO, the Bills led 17-7. Buffalo's offense (which over the next 16 weeks would continue to prove weak and streaky at its best) wasn't able to produce any points in the second half and the Patriots won the game on a safety late in the fourth quarter.

It was one of the first and last times I remember seeing a sluggish, sometimes spastic New England offense, and I remember being amazed that the Buffalo defense, which was young and amidst a regime change, was able to quell the Brady juggernaut.

But just six weeks later- the Patriots off their bye, and the Buffalo returning home after a disappointing road loss to the Lions- Bills fans witnessed something which has been a recent trend: the second Patriots match up of the year, and their team is out of the game after the first ten plays. And as the game progressed, New England's dissection of Buffalo only became more precise and methodical.

One year later, in Buffalo, on national television, during the second match up of the year, New England (just off their bye week) scores 35 points in the first half.

How amazingly far they had come since their first encounter with Perry Fewell.

*During the play Spikes tweaked his ham string, an injury he'd never fully recover from.

I will never forget that play. My 11 year old (at the time) son yelling, "SPIKES!" as LBF scooped up the fumble, running it in for a score . . . One of the best moments of Bills football since 2000.

I won't either, we had the most people we had ever had at our Backers bar(75). When the play happened the entire management of the bar and the owner ran upstairs to us thinking that a riot had broken out. I couldn't hear what they were saying, I just waved my arm towards our crowd and simply said: "Bills fans!" They aren't used to that kind joy in Philly. They just stood there dumbfounded, the GM ran behind the bar to talk to me but I couldn't hear a word, the view was looking very similar to the end of the "Smells like Teen Spirit" video from Nirvana, and the Shout song was already in full swing. The rest of the game, Oh well, but that 90 seconds will always be one of my fondest Bills memories.

As far as this the topic goes: everything seems to fit, but it doubt we can say for sure that A = B = C without knowing for sure if A is true. Specifically A = given that facts that:

1. the Pats* were bumbling in the first half,

2. we were beating them at halftime,

= and so presumably they went and got out their tape....

OTOH, while it's all conjecture until somebody can prove that last part, there are too many coincidences here for us to believe that NO significant advantage was gained by the Pats* cheating. I don't believe in coincidence in general, and certainly not in as many as you have laid out here in a row.

Jauron's first regular season game with the Buffalo Bills was in New England.

It was Perry Fewell's first game as a defensive coordinator, and featured a recently gutted Buffalo team pitted against a New England squad which would later advance to the AFC Championship. On the first play of the game, Takeo Spikes, just off a surgery which was meant to be rehabbed for AT LEAST another five weeks, made the last great play of his career. Dropping back to pass on the first play of the game, it wasn't but a second after Brady planted his back foot that he was slathered by a rabid Spikes violently ignited by eleven months of injury restraint*.

It was something Bills fans had rarely seen, and something they have rarely seen since: an unexpecting Tom Brady.

It was a game in which Buffalo had NO business staying competitive. Yet strangely, going into halftime IN FOXBORO, the Bills led 17-7. Buffalo's offense (which over the next 16 weeks would continue to prove weak and streaky at its best) wasn't able to produce any points in the second half and the Patriots won the game on a safety late in the fourth quarter.

It was one of the first and last times I remember seeing a sluggish, sometimes spastic New England offense, and I remember being amazed that the Buffalo defense, which was young and amidst a regime change, was able to quell the Brady juggernaut.

But just six weeks later- the Patriots off their bye, and the Buffalo returning home after a disappointing road loss to the Lions- Bills fans witnessed something which has been a recent trend: the second Patriots match up of the year, and their team is out of the game after the first ten plays. And as the game progressed, New England's dissection of Buffalo only became more precise and methodical.

One year later, in Buffalo, on national television, during the second match up of the year, New England (just off their bye week) scores 35 points in the first half.

How amazingly far they had come since their first encounter with Perry Fewell.

*During the play Spikes tweaked his ham string, an injury he'd never fully recover from.

I'd like to see New England's game statistics when playing against new systems for the first time.

I was at that game. Dead silence in the Stadium except for me and my 12 year old going apesh*t.

The lady behind us tapped my son on the shoulder and asked him if 'I was always like that?'.

Good thing we were in the 200 section or I would have probably been fighting my way out of there!

I will never forget that play. My 11 year old (at the time) son yelling, "SPIKES!" as LBF scooped up the fumble, running it in for a score . . . One of the best moments of Bills football since 2000.

I too will always remember that play with fond memories, we were at a bar that at the time was owned by someone in our family(it was filled with people in my family and friends of mine), and we had actually done alittle tailgating that day before we went inside, nothing major just sat outside in the parking lot with a cooler of beer and listened to the pregame show from my car radio. But anyways a bunch of us were sitting at a circular table right in front of a tv screen and after that play we all jumped up so enthustiastically that we flipped the table over and drinks went flying all over the place...sure we felt like jackasses after the fact but it was definately well worth it. I don't remember seeing anything that intense outside of at the Ralph since the Super Bowl years, but we all know how that game turned out, but like I said that will always be a precious memory of mine

that's a good friggen post cat.

now that we have some horses i think we'll be able to go with the change up on D. i want brady in a wheelchair blowing into a straw to move since his arms don't work.

i want billicheat violently gang raped by the trannies ronaldo was caught with, giving him a version of super aids that leaves him like the victims in aliens.

You know, this is the game I immediately thought of when "Spygate" details were released.

Yeah, they didn't gain any advantage and they didn't process the data for use during the game. I'm amazed that there are people who think that's the case.

As far as I'm concerned, they don't have a single legitimate title.

I'm sorry, but what did you just say??

What he said:

The stats has nothing to do with our defensive injuries or the fact the pats were just unstoppable last eyar?

What he meant:

I really don't have a clue, sorry.

Big Cat...good post...cheatin scumbags.