Bills to be 'surprise' team in AFC

This is just my guess, as these talking heads never give their reasoning, but maybe its because he has only played one season at weak-side. Before that he was at Mike in KC (IMO he played well at that position too). Obviously he will be exclusively at weak side with the Bills, but he played out of his mind last year at that position for the Giants, so I don't get it. Schein labels himself on Sirius NFL radio as a salary cap expert, so I'm sure he's crunched the numbers and compared his deal to other comparable weak side backers to reach his conclusion, but he doesn't fill us in.

Update [2008-2-29 13:23:1 by Brian Galliford]: Per KFFL, Adam Schefter is reporting that Mitchell's deal is a 5-year contract worth $17.5 million. End Update

Linkage

I believe $5 million is guaranteed. For Mitchell I think it's a steal, personally.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just remember, when you read stuff like this, the 49'ers were a lot of "experts" surprise team for 2007...they stunk, and their coach was on the verge of losing his job all season...the Bills just have to get it done on the field....nothing else matters.

Just hope the M.A.S.H. unit stays away from us this year! It would be so disheartning to have all this excitement for the upcoming season and have it dashed by another wave of mind numbing injuries!!! ;)

Adding you to the Nostradammit nominee list.

Adding you to the Nostradammit nominee list.

True True! Although not at all a pessimest at heart just growing up there and remembering how close we thought we were with not just the super bowl years but back to the Knox years and kept waiting and hoping wether it be the Sabres or the Bills to just give the area of the best and most dihard fans in the world one chance to tell the rest of the sports to: "Kiss our ass we are the champions!!!" Can't wait 'till it happens and hope it comes in droves with the Bills and Sabes!!! :flirt:

Just remember, when you read stuff like this, the 49'ers were a lot of "experts" surprise team for 2007...they stunk, and their coach was on the verge of losing his job all season...the Bills just have to get it done on the field....nothing else matters.

Stop throwing reality into our daydreams!! :flirt:

Why does everyone think we overpaid for Mitchell?

By the way, he last year predicted that Losman would have a breakout year which, for whatever reason you want to believe, he didn't.

But I'd have no problem putting a bright red bow on yet another absolutely stellar Adam Schein prediction.

Worrying about "overpaying" for a player is overrated as an issue when it comes to team building.

I agree that Mitchell may be overpaid based on his output as a player (though actually his 08 cap hit is well below the average of the top 10 LB salaries- he certainly is not a top 10 LB but his salary is nothing like the best LBs in the NFL) but to some extent this does not matter as it is far more important whether he is overpaid relative to his fellow Bills or in someway sucks up money so we cannot pay someone else.

As far as defenders, Michell's salary is far outstripped by Pro Bowler Schobel and his 08 cap hit is even less than Chris Kelsay.

Further, the Bills have tons of unused cap room.

The one thing Mitchell has that other Bills do not is an SB ring.

I think folks will worry about other Bills being overpaid way before this a worry for anyone.

In the big picture, I think the ol; Milloy contract says a lot about how one should most reasonably look at a contract.

Was he overpaid based on his production as a player?

Yep.

However, did the market mandate this contract?

Yep. When he surprisingly hit the market the Bears also had cap room and an SS need, his overpayment based on his production was exactly what was needed to sign him in the market at the time.

Was this is a good signing by the Bills?

Yep as the alternative was starting Coy Wire at SS.

Is overpaying Mitchell a good deal for the Bills?

We'll see but probably yes.

1. Its a very young team that likely will benefit having an SC winner on the roster.

2. The starter would have been Ellison who has surprised but no one mistakes him for a weapon at Will, further, we do have some thinness at LB so bringing in a player who makes JD and Ellison back-ups looks like a good move.

Overpaid?

Maybe but who cares at this point.

Worrying about "overpaying" for a player is overrated as an issue when it comes to team building.

I agree that Mitchell may be overpaid based on his output as a player (though actually his 08 cap hit is well below the average of the top 10 LB salaries- he certainly is not a top 10 LB but his salary is nothing like the best LBs in the NFL) but to some extent this does not matter as it is far more important whether he is overpaid relative to his fellow Bills or in someway sucks up money so we cannot pay someone else.

As far as defenders, Michell's salary is far outstripped by Pro Bowler Schobel and his 08 cap hit is even less than Chris Kelsay.

Further, the Bills have tons of unused cap room.

The one thing Mitchell has that other Bills do not is an SB ring.

I think folks will worry about other Bills being overpaid way before this a worry for anyone.

In the big picture, I think the ol; Milloy contract says a lot about how one should most reasonably look at a contract.

Was he overpaid based on his production as a player?

Yep.

However, did the market mandate this contract?

Yep. When he surprisingly hit the market the Bears also had cap room and an SS need, his overpayment based on his production was exactly what was needed to sign him in the market at the time.

Was this is a good signing by the Bills?

Yep as the alternative was starting Coy Wire at SS.

Is overpaying Mitchell a good deal for the Bills?

We'll see but probably yes.

1. Its a very young team that likely will benefit having an SC winner on the roster.

2. The starter would have been Ellison who has surprised but no one mistakes him for a weapon at Will, further, we do have some thinness at LB so bringing in a player who makes JD and Ellison back-ups looks like a good move.

Overpaid?

Maybe but who cares at this point.

I don't think he's overpaid under any analysis. When you add in he was on a team that won the SB by playing waaaayyy over their heads it's just gravy.

I do my best to ignore this crap most of the time, but this one peeves me just a bit.... My theory is that this "prediction" is made to formula for the mainstream news.... How many regimes have you seen going into their 3rd year (or so) in charge of an NFL franchise, and you always have the random pundit declare they will be the big underdog "surprise" playoff contender! Is it just simply a statistical advantage they're going off of based on GM/HCs success going into their 3rd-4th year with a franchise?

At any rate, this seems to be a typical year, to me, to say the Bills are finally gonna get over that hump... We've already heard it from a few pundits right after the draft.... Is it wrong to think the mainstream press is merely going through their typical formula... after bashing and completely ignoring Buffalo for the last 2 seasons, now a few are suddenly gonna take a "chance" on this young, budding team because "it's about time"...???

When it comes to the Buffalo Bills, the mainstream sports media completely ignores, insults or laughs at them on a usual basis... They have with this regime since it started.... Now, all of the sudden, they've slyly seen the light and deep talent that has magically appeared in Orchard Park and they want to be the ones who predicted it???? F***$%# TYPICAL!!!!

I've got an idea, pundit whores!!! Go back to your usual ways of dismissing and balking at any mention of One Bills Drive and their draft "reaches" and expensive free agent indulgences!!! We'll take care of this underdog, come-outta-nowhere, Super Bowl contender thing without you leeching on at the last possible moment!!! Besides... that will make it that much SWEETER!!!! :flirt:

Nice... I really think that we're going to be a legitimate force this year. It seems like the stars have alligned for us when you consider that we have one of the weaker schedules in the league, our starters will be back from last year, plus we've made key pickups in the areas that we needed. I really think that we're moving in the right direction, moreso than we have since this decade started. Given the youth in our lineup, it's a great year to have a weaker schedule (per the preseason rankings).

Lets just hope Hardy can stay out of jail and trouble to stay on the field and be productive....

Honestly looking at the schedule. EASY WINS

Miami 2X --- If the Bills lose shoot me.

St. Louis ---- Finished 3-13

Oakland ---- Finished 4-12

Kansas ---- Finished 4-12

San Francisco ---- Finished 5-11

Arizona ---- Finished 8-8 and the Matt Leinart debate as to his abilities

Denver ---- Finished 7-9 --- they got luck last year in Buffalo.

Losses

San Diego

N.Y. Jets

New England

Wins

N.Y. Jets

Cleveland ---- No Buffalo blizzard on Nov. 17 Finished 10-6

Seattle ---- Just a hunch

New England ---- finish WEEK 17 A hope.

Honestly looking at the schedule. EASY WINS

Miami 2X --- If the Bills lose shoot me.

St. Louis ---- Finished 3-13

Oakland ---- Finished 4-12

Kansas ---- Finished 4-12

San Francisco ---- Finished 5-11

Arizona ---- Finished 8-8 and the Matt Leinart debate as to his abilities

Denver ---- Finished 7-9 --- they got luck last year in Buffalo.

Losses

San Diego

N.Y. Jets

New England

Wins

N.Y. Jets

Cleveland ---- No Buffalo blizzard on Nov. 17 Finished 10-6

Seattle ---- Just a hunch

New England ---- finish WEEK 17 A hope.

On the other hand, the Bills are not the only team trying to improve themselves. The Jets were a major player in free agency, for example. Not saying that's all going to work out for them, but they are definitely not the same team as they were last year. We got Stroud. They got Faneca. Still, your point that this isn't the most difficult schedule still stands, if for no other reason than its the NFC West and has Miami twice.

The Bills seem like the "pick" this year as one of the surprise teams. I don't care who believes in us or not. I just want to have a good year with a shot at the playoffs. The 49ers were the "pick" last year and it seems like the Cardinals are that "pick" every year. Anybody who understands football knows that any team that battled a ridiculous amount of injuries and played with a rookie QB for most of the year that still manages to go 7-9 can't be considered a surprise to make the playoffs the next year. Progress should not be looked at as a surprise!

Go Bills!

Is it football season yet?

On the other hand, the Bills are not the only team trying to improve themselves. The Jets were a major player in free agency, for example. Not saying that's all going to work out for them, but they are definitely not the same team as they were last year. We got Stroud. They got Faneca. Still, your point that this isn't the most difficult schedule still stands, if for no other reason than its the NFC West and has Miami twice.

Yes, the JETS spent a lot of money. But spending a boat load of cash doesn't equate to success.

I have the Bills splitting with the Jets as I do every year.

Every year teams change w/o a doubt, just look at Cincy and Cleveland.

It's my opinion that the Bills are a better team than Cleveland, Denver, Arizona, San Fran, St Louis, Oakland, and Kansas.

I don't need to even mention the pathetic Dullfins.

Which team(s) above has a Franchise QB that will be leading their teams to glory?

Yes, I know that also includes Trent.