If Xavier's Omon's moves transfer to NFL ...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walter Payton, running back for Jackson State while the program was still in Division II, led

the Chicago Bears to a Super Bowl victory. Payton is a member of the NFL Hall of Fame and

the Division II Football Hall of Fame.

Tyronne Braxton won two Super Bowls as a defensive back for the Denver Broncos and three

Division II National Championships as a North Dakota State bison.

Other Division II Football Hall of Famers who have participated in the Super Bowl include

Harry Carson (South Carolina State University) New York Giants; Darrell Green (Texas A&I,

now A&M-Kingsville) Washington Redskins; Phil Hansen (North Dakota State) Buffalo Bills;

Brent Jones (Santa Clara) San Francisco 49ers; Greg Lloyd (Fort Valley State) Pittsburgh

Steelers; Andre Reed (Kutztown) Buffalo Bills; John Stallworth (Alabama A&M) Pittsburgh

Steelers.

Other Division II players have won Super Bowl rings, to include Larry Allen (Sonoma State)

Dallas Cowboys; Joe Andruzzi (Southern Connecticut State) New England Patriots; Don Beebe

(Chadron State) Green Bay Packers; Ben Coates (Livingstone College) New England Patriots;

Ricardo Colclough (Tusculum) Pittsburgh Steelers; Stevie Hobbs (North Alabama) Washington

Redskins; John Mobley (Kutztown) Denver Broncos; Shannon Sharpe (Savannah State) Denver

Broncos; Aaron Smith (Northern Colorado) Pittsburgh Steelers; Rod Smith (Missouri Southern

State College) Denver Broncos; Robert Steele (North Alabama) Dallas Cowboys; Ralph Tamm

(West Chester) San Francisco 49ers; Adam Timmerman (South Dakota State) Green Bay

Packers; Adam Vinatieri (South Dakota State) New England Patriots; Nate Washington (Tiffin)

Pittsburgh Steelers; Troy Wilson (Pittsburg State) San Francisco 49ers; Lee Woodall

But Omon is Division 2, NUFF SAID :bag:

This again? Do I need to break out the list of probowl/HOF caliber players from D-2 again? 10% of the league comes from D-2 (10.72 was the actual number I believe).

Division he came from wasn't the only prob. He runs too upright & lacks speed so must head for sidelines to get all the yards he can before running OB.

in this collection he shows every move an RB can possibly make. if he can pull this off in the nfl he will be the steal of this draft. my best guess is he wont. but at near FB size and in the 6th round it was a gamble worth taking

He does have shiftiness and if that translates he should get some yards but he'll be caught from behind in the NFL a lot easier.

Division he came from wasn't the only prob. He runs too upright & lacks speed so must head for sidelines to get all the yards he can before running OB.

He was sleected in the sixth round. What did you expect us to get?

After seeing the highlights, I am willing to see if he can make the transition to the pro game. Good gamble IMO.

division 2 nuff said

There are levels of D-II. NW Missouri St. is one of the top D-II teams every year and they play aginst other top d-II schools. That 98 yard run was against Grand Valley St. who is a good team. There are bad D-II teams just like there are bad D-I schools but if you put some of the top D-II schools up against the bottom D-I schools and a bunch of the 1-AA schools they'd win their share of games.

If he went to say Florida International in D-I I don't think you'd dismiss him like that even though FL International was 1-11 in a horrible conference.

Others have posted the list of famous D-II players and the list of contributors is even longer. Don Beebe went to Chadron St, Jim Haslett went to Indiana U of PA as did Chris Villarial, Keith McKellar went to Jacksonville St. Brian Moorman went to Pittsburg State.

There's a hefty 1-AA list as well. Howard Ballard went to Alabama A&M. Mark Kelso and Steve Christie both went to William and Mary. Scott Norwood went to James Madison.

Guys end up at lower division schools for a bunch of reasons, not the least of which being they can play right away (without sitting out a year) if they transfer out of a D-I school.

I'm not saying he's the second coming or anything but the list of players from those levels who have been successful is too long just to ignore him as a throwaway.

in this collection he shows every move an RB can possibly make. if he can pull this off in the nfl he will be the steal of this draft. my best guess is he wont. but at near FB size and in the 6th round it was a gamble worth taking

I like the fact he hits the hole and goes...as for his moves...to me they just look like they are done in slow motion compared to an NFL back...those little shimmy-shake moves he made people fall down with in Division II aren't going to fool anyone in the NFL, especially when done that slow...

Most of the long runs shown on there feature him running through holes the size of the grand canyon and not getting touched until he is running by the safety, or he ends up breaking one tackle and noone else is in position to get him...

Not saying the guy is gonna suck, he could be a nice change of pace back, but to me he doesn't look like he could be a star in the NFL...he just isn't quick or fast enough to deal with the quicker defensive players in the NFL...

My son sent me a different video of him. After I watched it, I called him and we both said the same thing. Thurman Thomas. Hold back the arrows and poison darts, I am not comparing a rook with 0 games played to a HOF'er but I will say that his moves and running style are very similar to TT's. That stutter step and cut/bounce at the LOS, as a defender gets penetration......then he seems to run with unexpected power after contact.

Hope we got a real diamond there to back up our Beast.

My son sent me a different video of him. After I watched it, I called him and we both said the same thing. Thurman Thomas. Hold back the arrows and poison darts, I am not comparing a rook with 0 games played to a HOF'er but I will say that his moves and running style are very similar to TT's. That stutter step and cut/bounce at the LOS, as a defender gets penetration......then he seems to run with unexpected power after contact.

Hope we got a real diamond there to back up our Beast.

Have we all forgotten about (D-III) Action Freddie Jackson to be the ying to Marshawns yang?