According to SI.COM, we own two of the worst #1 overall picks

ACor58

The SI guys must be bored silly, too.

While Patulski was indeed a dog, I'd argue that guys like Ryan Leaf or even Robert Gallery are bigger misses. IMO, missing on a top 3 pick today, with the money involved and cap ramifications, is a lot worse than in the 'old' days.

how many times have the bills picked 1 overall?

Four times since the NFL and AFL merged their drafts in 1967.

1969: O.J. Simpson

1972: Walt Patulski

1979: Tom Cousineau

1985: Bruce Smith

Walt Patulski now does speeches for groups. A couple of days ago one of my co-workers stopped my my desk & told me he had attended a speech by a former Bill-Walt Patulski. I told him that Patulski is more successful in the business world than he was as a Bill.

Here's a link to Walt Patulski's Touchdown To Success website:

http://www.waltpatulski.com/

While Patulski was indeed a dog, I'd argue that guys like Ryan Leaf or even Robert Gallery are bigger misses. IMO, missing on a top 3 pick today, with the money involved and cap ramifications, is a lot worse than in the 'old' days.

If they are talking about #1 overall (like the Fins have this year), then Gallery and Leaf aren't in that category. I know Gallery was something like #3 or #4 and I'm pretty sure Leaf was #2 behind Peyton Manning.

If they are talking about #1 overall (like the Fins have this year), then Gallery and Leaf aren't in that category. I know Gallery was something like #3 or #4 and I'm pretty sure Leaf was #2 behind Peyton Manning.

Both were number twos. No real difference in terms of the magnitude of the 'bust' label.

:P I DISAGREE with this list. They didn't name EVEN ONE Buccaneer, and believe me there were PLENTY of #1 Bucs to choose from - BO Jackson anyone?

Bo Jackson, as for picking him No. 1, or for not being able to sign him? The two are different, as Bo was not a bust.

Yeah, but at least the Cousineau trade brought Buffalo the pick they used on Jim Kelly...

:P Good Point! :lol:

It's only #1's but it's funny back when Leaf and Manning were coming out of college there was a big debate about who the Colts, with the first pick, would take. Looks like they made the right decision there!! :lol:

prior to chuck knox 's arrival the bills scouting was comprised of stew barber gm-scout- disaster.. chuck brought in norm pollum to run scouting ,when he asked for the scouting data he was shown some shoe boxes in a corner.. and people wonder why the bills made so many bad picks,, lou saban could spot talent but he was so wacky and left and then came back they didnt ebven have his insight for the "patulski" pick if my recall on the timing is right.

prior to chuck knox 's arrival the bills scouting was comprised of stew barber gm-scout- disaster.. chuck brought in norm pollum to run scouting ,when he asked for the scouting data he was shown some shoe boxes in a corner.. and people wonder why the bills made so many bad picks,, lou saban could spot talent but he was so wacky and left and then came back they didnt ebven have his insight for the "patulski" pick if my recall on the timing is right.

Saban was there, but spent part of January in the hospital. Didn't matter. Patulski, the reigning Lombardi Award winner, was the obvious choice for a team that had given up a franchise-record 394 points in 1971.