VET VS ROOKIE WR FOR 08

JinWPB

The Chiefs recently released WR Eddie Kennison . He was their go to guy for years. Last year he was out with hamstring and shoulder injury and only suited up for a few games. In 2006 he was good for almost 900 yds. He is 35 but still wants to play and still draws double coverage. He is a big WR at 6'1". Rookies aren't always impact players , Eddie might be what we need until a draft pick is NFL ready.

Any comments???

The Chiefs recently released WR Eddie Kennison . He was their go to guy for years. Last year he was out with hamstring and shoulder injury and only suited up for a few games. In 2006 he was good for almost 900 yds. He is 35 but still wants to play and still draws double coverage. He is a big WR at 6'1". Rookies aren't always impact players , Eddie might be what we need until a draft pick is NFL ready.

Any comments???

He might be able to be that guy for us. I agree with this one a bit more than other recievers people bring up. That said however i doubt the Bills make a move for him, his age is the main factor

Any comments???

:thumbdown:

He is 35 but still wants to play and still draws double coverage. He is a big WR at 6'1".

I've never thought of him as a big receiver. Must be because he doesn't paly that way. I'm not sure if he's ever drawn double coverage.

Kennison is not nearly half the player Lofton was. Lofton was an All-Pro and future Hall-of-Famer before he came to the Bills. Kennison is not even close.

Agreed , but in his last 5 seasons with KC( not counting last year) he averaged over 900yds and 5 TD every year.

Lets see ,do we have a number 2 WR with those kind of numbers? Oh yeh, we don't even have a #1 with those stats.

Agreed , but in his last 5 seasons with KC( not counting last year) he averaged over 900yds and 5 TD every year.

Lets see ,do we have a number 2 WR with those kind of numbers? Oh yeh, we don't even have a #1 with those stats.

Players are also products of the system. I recall Evans having numbers better than that the previous season.

Any comments???

No way in hell! James Lofton was James Lofton BEFORE he came to the Bills. Eddie Kennison is NO James Lofton. Eddied Kennison WOULD NOT have been Lofton even with Kelly and Co.

That said, I AM intrigued by your suggestion. If his hammy is ok (and that's a HUGE concern at his age), I'd have no problem with it since he was still productive in '06. Wouldn't hurt to take a look at least.

GO BILLS!!!

Any comments???

I heard him on Sirius the other day. He had alot of personal issues the last two years. Not character issue problems but sick child problems that had him unable to concentrate with football. If I remember correctly his child is healthy and he wants to play for another year or two.

That being said, I 've always thought he was underrated. I would take him for a #2 for now. Trade Josh Reed if you can get something for him.

I think it would be a good idea to bring in a veteran reciever to compete for a spot. Maybe Eddie Kennison or Joe Horn or some other name we haven't heard yet. He wouldn't have to come in and try to be the man,just line up opposite Evans and take a little pressure off him. As long as we don't overpay,I'm all for it.

No way in hell! James Lofton was James Lofton BEFORE he came to the Bills. Eddie Kennison is NO James Lofton. Eddied Kennison WOULD NOT have been Lofton even with Kelly and Co.

That said, I AM intrigued by your suggestion. If his hammy is ok (and that's a HUGE concern at his age), I'd have no problem with it since he was still productive in '06. Wouldn't hurt to take a look at least.

GO BILLS!!!

Kennison wouldn't have been Lofton? Try he wouldn't have been Don Beebe

Kennison wouldn't have been Lofton? Try he wouldn't have been Don Beebe

Good point, Adam. But if he has any speed left, I'd be open to having Kennison come in for at least a look if he's interested. We could do worse.

GO BILLS!!!

Are stats everything to you? How about the fact that Lofton opened up the middle of the field for Reed.

Lofton's contributions to the Bills were solid in 1990 and 1991, but by 1992 he developed a nasty habit of dropping balls and seemed

to be using his body to make the catch more than with his hands. Played for the Eagles in 1993 and he continued to drop a high percentage of throw. It was actually sad to watch the former great WR turn into an also ran. Yet, even at age 36 he seemed to still know how to get opn and may have been able to play longer, had the droppsies not taken over his game.

Sure liked him alot in 1991 though, especially in the Cincinnati game where he beat up the corner playing against him so bad that Wyche, the "then" HC of Cinci, ran all the way to the end zone to protest a long TD grab by Lofton, who just smiled as he left the field.

No reason not to offer him a one year deal. We could then gradually introduce the person we draft into the offense as the season progresses. However, the price would have to be right. I doubt Kennison would command much on the market though.

They already said they wouldnt do that with Bryant Johnson... why would they offer that to kennison?