PFW's "The Way We Hear It"

Lurker

Agreed. draft picks are much easier to sign and a helluva lot cheaper

the reason is risk - many free agents, especially pro bowlers, have proven they (at least during some seasons on some teams) can play in the NFL and excel at their position. In the draft you can get a Mike Williams or a Marshawn Lynch. Yes, of course there are no guarantees with free agents either, but the risk is way lower.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i really like lito.

i'd take him and the 19th pick (if lito keeps his current contract, perhaps w a small bump up front) which i expect we would spend on the WR thomas.

that would really add a lot of talent where we need it. we could grab a TE, and the best interior OL or DL (any possy) in the 2nd and third.

that would give us some young stud 1st round/high second round picks and accomplished veterans at every level of our D, and we'd have more physical play but still with speed all over on O.

This would be a great scenario, IMO:

"Buffalo, Carolina, Chicago, New England and the Jets have also already discussed trade scenarios, the way we hear it, and could be very open to moving down. The Bills, in need of a receiver to complement Lee Evans, have never shied from filling their biggest needs early and could wind up drafting one considerably sooner than the first receiver in this year’s draft figures to be drafted. However, with Andy Reid having shown a propensity to trade up, the Bills could have a potential suitor at the precise spot (19th overall) where some decision makers believe the first receiver will be drafted."

The Bills already have a ton of picks in a draft that I don't consider great. I would be all about trading down if it involved an early pick in 09. This almost certainly won't happen imo because Jauron probably feels (and he is probably right) that his job is on the line.

I hope that the above doesn't cause him to revert back to his 06 mentality and reach for a first round DB when there are other, far more pressing needs. Thankfully my life doesn't depend on it but if it did, I would bet that he will just continue with the counter-productive, weak, playing "not to lose" mentality that has marked our beloved franchise for too long.

The above said, I was quite fond of day 1 in 07. If he can steer clear of DBs once again and deliver us some kids who can play the more vital positions, I am thinking that the playoffs are certainly well within the realm of possibility.

We can only hope.

"We've done our studies and history has said that over time," said Modrak. "All of us have broken ranks on those things. Part of it is picking 11th, a point where there's enough guys coming off the board that it's not slam dunk wherever you're going. There is consideration what you can pick up next time around and not be isolated, and ask, 'What's better for us now and what's better for us in a little while?'"

This, plus Modrak's comments about the CB's can get very average very quickly leads me to think we're going CB first and WR soon after--either pulling a Poz (moving up in RD#2 to get Hardy) or pulling a McCargo (sacrificing later picks).

That was an example though Astro, he wasn't saying CB specifically. Case in point, WRs can go from Average to bleh real quick after 11 until 41. And if we're having issues re-signing Evans, don't you want a possible 2 that can grow into the 1? With athletes that play corner and safety to be had in rounds two and three, I think round one is a lineman (offense or defense) or a wr.

This would be a great scenario, IMO:

"Buffalo, Carolina, Chicago, New England and the Jets have also already discussed trade scenarios, the way we hear it, and could be very open to moving down. The Bills, in need of a receiver to complement Lee Evans, have never shied from filling their biggest needs early and could wind up drafting one considerably sooner than the first receiver in this year’s draft figures to be drafted. However, with Andy Reid having shown a propensity to trade up, the Bills could have a potential suitor at the precise spot (19th overall) where some decision makers believe the first receiver will be drafted."

Obviously the Jets and Patsie's would have the first shot at negotiating a trade, I guess it all depends on how bad and how much the Eagles want to move up. I would hope that the Bills would not even entertain trade talks until they know who's on the board at 11, do the Eagles want to gamble and wait that long. I would have no objections to trading down...

If he can steer clear of DBs once again and deliver us some kids who can play the more vital positions

I'm thinking this coaching staff will certainly disagree with you on the importance of a good run supporting CB, in respect to it being a vital position in their scheme. IMO, it's likely that one will be taken in the first two rounds, as Greer for all his coverage play last year, doesn't fit that role real well.

Face it Bill. You'd better have some water and sugar on hand on draft day to help turn your lemons into... :P

I'm thinking this coaching staff will certainly disagree with you on the importance of a good run supporting CB, in respect to it being a vital position in their scheme. IMO, it's likely that one will be taken in the first two rounds, as Greer for all his coverage play last year, doesn't fit that role real well.

Face it Bill. You'd better have some water and sugar on hand on draft day to help turn your lemons into... :P

Oh, I know. At this point, I would even be OK with a 2nd round corner. Not because I want one mind you, but I would be willing to settle. :wallbash:

People that I really trust have told me that this is a great year for blockers and DL. These are the players who great teams always have been built around. Yes, always.

I am just fed up with the Bills wasting our best draft resources on shrimps (our bevy of early dbs), simps (guys like Willis), and overpaid blimps (the garbage ala Mike Williams that we put out there to block).

Oh, I know. At this point, I would even be OK with a 2nd round corner. Not because I want one mind you, but I would be willing to settle. :beer:

People that I really trust have told me that this is a great year for blockers and DL. These are the players who great teams always have been built around. Yes, always.

I am just fed up with the Bills wasting our best draft resources on shrimps (our bevy of early dbs), simps (guys like Willis), and overpaid blimps (the garbage ala Mike Williams that we put out there to block).

I think everyone on the board should pitch in and pre-order you a DRC jersey.

Oh, I know. At this point, I would even be OK with a 2nd round corner. Not because I want one mind you, but I would be willing to settle. :beer:

bill,

i understand and agree w ur statements about needing solid to great linemen. and depth.

i think you are going overboard with the lineman drum tho.

we need wr and corner help. a solid corner will get us turnovers, help our pass D, and help our pass rush.

we went out and signed a big time DT and IMO a very good DT in johnson. Our o line is one of out strengths. we also upgrade 2 of our LBs

from the end of last season giving us much more beef upfront.

at the 11th pick if the draft goes the way it is expected to, we should be able to draft the best WR a little early, a good to very good corner (and perhaps a solid value at 11), maybe trade down, or reach for a lineman.

if a top 5 or so type talent lineman falls to us then yeah we look long and hard at snapping him up, but if it is the 5th+ rated dlineman or the 3rd/4th plus rated o lineman do you really think that helps out team more than a top corner?

bill,

i understand and agree w ur statements about needing solid to great linemen. and depth.

i think you are going overboard with the lineman drum tho.

we need wr and corner help. a solid corner will get us turnovers, help our pass D, and help our pass rush.

we went out and signed a big time DT and IMO a very good DT in johnson. Our o line is one of out strengths. we also upgrade 2 of our LBs

from the end of last season giving us much more beef upfront.

at the 11th pick if the draft goes the way it is expected to, we should be able to draft the best WR a little early, a good to very good corner (and perhaps a solid value at 11), maybe trade down, or reach for a lineman.

if a top 5 or so type talent lineman falls to us then yeah we look long and hard at snapping him up, but if it is the 5th+ rated dlineman or the 3rd/4th plus rated o lineman do you really think that helps out team more than a top corner?

The Bills could send all 17 starters except the 4 starting DBs to the pro-bowl, and bill would still B word that drafting a 1st round DB is going to destroy the franchise.

I'd be surprised if the Bills were interested in obtaining Shepard after their experience with Darwin Walker last year.

Just like Walker, Shepard wants to "get paid" and the numbers he wants will dwarf anything Walker ever asked for.

Unless somehow, negotiations could take place on a contract with Shepard before the draft as a condition of the deal, I just don't see it happening.

don't woryy -

the Bills would craft the deal so we could return Shepard before camp no questions asked

except "what happened to our pick #11?"

What does Sheppards contract look like? Is he locked up for a few years or will he be a fa soon?

He has three years left on it, and very cheap, like averaging 2 mil per year. He is demanding a new contract though, so it doesn't seem likely that the Bills will take him. You never know though. Ultimately, when it comes down to it, he's going to come in and play. He's not going to just retire in his prime in a hissy fit.

I don't like the idea of getting Lito Sheppard, but I wouldn't mind getting their 1st and 2nd for our #11 That is pretty close value and the team that suggests the trade usually "pays" about 50pts more for the privilege so its interesting...

It could also be our #11 for their #19 and next year's 1st rounder which is also of similar value.....

This sounds like one of those deals where the Eagles sit tight and wait to see if their "Guy" is at #11 and call to consumate the deal.

I would love to trade down and pick up the 19th pick overall and Lito Shepard. That would give us either Devin Thomas (who I am not sold on) or Limas Sweed (I feel the need...the need for...you get it.) With that said, we still don't need to draft a tight end in the 2nd round. I can't f-ing believe how many people on this board keep saying that. It's ludicrous!

i really like lito.

i'd take him and the 19th pick (if lito keeps his current contract, perhaps w a small bump up front) which i expect we would spend on the WR thomas.

that would really add a lot of talent where we need it. we could grab a TE, and the best interior OL or DL (any possy) in the 2nd and third.

that would give us some young stud 1st round/high second round picks and accomplished veterans at every level of our D, and we'd have more physical play but still with speed all over on O.

Small? This guy wants top 12 money. The small "bump" comment is ludicrous. The Eagles aren't looking to trade him cause he isn't good, they're trying to trade him cause he's too expensive

Buffalo, Carolina, Chicago, New England and the Jets have also already discussed trade scenarios, the way we hear it, and could be very open to moving down. The Bills, in need of a receiver to complement Lee Evans, have never shied from filling their biggest needs early and could wind up drafting one considerably sooner than the first receiver in this year’s draft figures to be drafted. However, with Andy Reid having shown a propensity to trade up, the Bills could have a potential suitor at the precise spot (19th overall) where some decision makers believe the first receiver will be drafted.

Look at the paragraph from the same article below;

The way we hear it, the first round will likely feature at least one trade from the AFC West, with Denver and San Diego also considering moves to trade down. The Chargers, who do not possess a selection in Rounds 2-4 after having made multiple trades last year, including the one they made to secure S Eric Weddle in the second round, would like to regain more picks and expect to entertain offers on Draft Day from teams that are looking to move into the back end of the first round to draft the second quarterback to come off the board. The Ravens, who have also plotted trade strategies, could be a prime candidate both to move down with their first pick or trade up with their second, all with their eyes on the promise of a future franchise quarterback.

Denver has the 12th pick and that could put a crimp in Buffalo trading down. Unless a team is convinced that Buffalo would take the player they want they won't trade with Buffalo they'll trade with Denver. If McFadden were to fall to the Bills at 11 A lot of teams wouldn't be willing to trade because they'd think Buffalo wouldn't take him with their backfield being set and would probably trade with Denver instead.

So if I was in the Bills war room and McFadden fell I'd draft him and then turn around and get the best deal for his rights they can get. :thumbsup:

How about Lito Shepard and their #1 for our #1. That would give Shepard the value of a 2nd round pick.

Sheppard is 5'10" and brittle. He's looking for a new contract and start at $60 million for what he'd probably want. I don't think he's played a whole season since he's been in the league. I wouldn't take him for a 7th round pick. He's a lot more trouble than he's worth.

Getting Shepard would take care of one serious need and allow us to draft a WR and TE early. Then we can worry about want position picks in 3 and 4(x2). That scenario is pretty tempting. As for Lito "wanting to get paid" my reply is two fold. First, his contract right now is high, but not unbelievably so, and Buffalo has plenty of room to absorb the hit. In terms of his wanting more money, well, you give him a bit of an increase in guarantees starting in 09 and you put a lot of playing time bonuses in there as well, so that he doesn't make all of that extra money if he is hurt for eight weeks like he was two years ago. There are ways to structure contracts, even expensive ones, so that they don't hurt the team. Plus, that would help with our cap room calculations as well. Signing LE needs to be the top priority in the off season, or during the season, but putting the pieces in place to succeed will help that. Lito Shepard is a heck of a CB and that would pretty much finish our starting line-up on D. This trade makes extremely good sense.

If Sheppard and his agent agreed to those terms I will clean my toilet with my tounge.

The Bills could send all 17 starters except the 4 starting DBs to the pro-bowl, and bill would still B word that drafting a 1st round DB is going to destroy the franchise.

I happen to agree with him.I hate drafting DB's in the first rd..That hatred started with derrick burroughs then JD Williams to Jeff Burriss..The only ones that earned it were Winfield and The So Called shutdown corner..And they left for big money..I wouldnt go as far as destroying the franchise but keeping them in a endless circle of not winning a Super Bowl category maybe..

So if I was in the Bills war room and McFadden fell I'd draft him and then turn around and get the best deal for his rights they can get. :thumbsup:

Why that's a slap in my face! What are they try to tell me by drafting a RB in the 1st round when they gotz me?!?!

I understand your point but that has been done before with bad results.....

Look at the paragraph from the same article below;

The way we hear it, the first round will likely feature at least one trade from the AFC West, with Denver and San Diego also considering moves to trade down. The Chargers, who do not possess a selection in Rounds 2-4 after having made multiple trades last year, including the one they made to secure S Eric Weddle in the second round, would like to regain more picks and expect to entertain offers on Draft Day from teams that are looking to move into the back end of the first round to draft the second quarterback to come off the board. The Ravens, who have also plotted trade strategies, could be a prime candidate both to move down with their first pick or trade up with their second, all with their eyes on the promise of a future franchise quarterback.

Denver has the 12th pick and that could put a crimp in Buffalo trading down. Unless a team is convinced that Buffalo would take the player they want they won't trade with Buffalo they'll trade with Denver. If McFadden were to fall to the Bills at 11 A lot of teams wouldn't be willing to trade because they'd think Buffalo wouldn't take him with their backfield being set and would probably trade with Denver instead.

Sheppard is 5'10" and brittle. He's looking for a new contract and start at $60 million for what he'd probably want. I don't think he's played a whole season since he's been in the league. I wouldn't take him for a 7th round pick. He's a lot more trouble than he's worth.

If Sheppard and his agent agreed to those terms I will clean my toilet with my tounge.

Unless there are two or more teams that want him or whoever, better to be @ 11 than 12 for about the same compensation.