Buffalo's Front Office

BillsVet

Front Office Workings

After reading the article, it seemed the Bills have their strategy mapped out, as all teams should.

It would be nice to see someone in the official role as General Manager or Player Personnel Czar, but that's been covered ad infinitum.

It's JMO, but John Guy is portrayed to be something of a FA guru, which as we all know, ain't exactly the case. His track record (or lack thereof) is only eclipsed by Larry Quinn's.

Of course it could all be untrue, and I'm sure no one wants to do a Marinelli and show their hand for no particular reason. Especially when they don't have to.

I'll maintain that savvy front offices are the deciding factor in a franchise's succcess. They find the players who ultimately get on the field. Although the coaches have their role, they can't do a thing until having the right personnel. These last two years, Buffalo's personnel has been severely lacking, and probably only the beginning of a rebuild plan that no one wanted to admit.

A) Its time to let go to the antiquated GM position. more and more teams are moving away from it.

B) When did anyone ever hide that they were re-building? if anything it was stated from the beginning that Marv and Co. were brought in not necessarily to "re-build" but to BUILD for the first time in over a decade.

C) besides Triplet who underperformed (but wasnt getting paid that much anyways) what FA's from the past few years have been busts?

A) Its time to let go to the antiquated GM position. more and more teams are moving away from it.

B) When did anyone ever hide that they were re-building? if anything it was stated from the beginning that Marv and Co. were brought in not necessarily to "re-build" but to BUILD for the first time in over a decade.

C) besides Triplet who underperformed (but wasnt getting paid that much anyways) what FA's from the past few years have been busts?

From the current regime:

Tuten Re3yes (couldn't get rid of him quickly enough)

Matt Bowen

Peerless v2

Those are the biggest ones that haven't panned out. I personally feel like Guy had a worse record when TD was hear than afterward, which might mean that he had his hands tied by Hollywood D as far as personnel decisions. You have to remember, Guy's primary role is as a scout, not decision-maker. He has his picks for who should be signed, but he doesn't call it and he doesn't decide the budget. Both of those factors could greatly impact who the Bills target in FA and are completely out of his hands.

The only player that really stunk, who was signed under his watch in the new regime, was Reyes, who was benched at mid-season in year one and didn't dress after that.

It seems like the FO was more willing to go after older players under the previous regime than they are now. This might have something to do with his success rate. I would be willing to bet that, based on percentages, younger free agents (under 30) have a higher success rate than older ones (over 30) do.

Of course it could all be untrue, and I'm sure no one wants to do a Marinelli and show their hand for no particular reason. Especially when they don't have to.

While Guy came off better in the BN article than his (apparent) record would warrent, without knowing who gave the final go ahead to some of the FA selections (TD, Marv, coaching staff), it's hard to judge his performance.

The problem with some people bashing Guy on his FA track record is that a lot of us do not know the specific purpose the Bills had in mind for certain players. Sure, Guy made some mistakes. But too many people scream "bust" when a FA signee doesnt become a pro-bowler or superstar. But what if the Bills didnt expect them to be a star, rather just a role player?

I fully believe that players such as tripplett, bowen, royal, and price were brought in for a few reasons, and NONE of them was that they were expected to star. That is simply the fans' point of view. We brought those guys in to fill some holes in the short term (2-3 years) while we acquired some talent. Let those guys plug the holes, they'll do ok, and if they pan out, great, if they dont, oh well. All of those signings were low-risk signings that cost us little against the cap.

The Bills front office has been outstanding. <_<

They have accumulated an immense amount of talent over the last few years - whcih has fueled the impressive playoff run the team has been on. :unsure:

I can not believe there is anyone who can challenge the quality and performance of our front office. The major players have been here for close to a decade and the8ir playoff record speaks for itself. Just look at all those late round gems that have turned into star players.

The problem with some people bashing Guy on his FA track record is that a lot of us do not know the specific purpose the Bills had in mind for certain players. Sure, Guy made some mistakes. But too many people scream "bust" when a FA signee doesnt become a pro-bowler or superstar. But what if the Bills didnt expect them to be a star, rather just a role player?

I fully believe that players such as tripplett, bowen, royal, and price were brought in for a few reasons, and NONE of them was that they were expected to star. That is simply the fans' point of view. We brought those guys in to fill some holes in the short term (2-3 years) while we acquired some talent. Let those guys plug the holes, they'll do ok, and if they pan out, great, if they dont, oh well. All of those signings were low-risk signings that cost us little against the cap.

agreed

what i see as lacking in the past is no plan for the future in respect tothe combination of draft and fa..neither dept seemed to be ahead of the curve in combining for aquistions//

proof of this was the donte witner pick..dt was a major need ,then as it is now the bills selected donte over haloti ngata.. while donte has been a solid pick ngata has been widely veiwed as a top 5 dt league wide already,, the lack of integration between scouting , drafting and free agency created this situation ,,, that year in free agency a unpreceedented number of quality safties were available ,had the bills acted during then they could of aquired a higher need and harder to find dt.

the following year the draft was loaded at the safety position ..\

it seems that no single voice can create the direction or forsight for them thus the 3 headed monster at one bills drive. l.......ast year the bills turned down a possible trade up with san fran, for the obvious need aquistion the bills were thought to want .. the passed on it... now mlb patrick willis last years rookie of the year who made the pro bowl as a rookie is there ,, while i think marshawn is a great prospect it sure would ve been nice to see ngata with willis behind him,,, besides,, isnt the rule running backs are a dime a dozen,

We've had the players and the capabilities to make a run in the playoffs except for one position - QB. Until we solve that riddle, we are fighting an uphill battle. We had a top 5 defense 3 years in a row and did nothing with it. We've also let guys go we shouldnt have - Pat Williams, Wiley, etc.

From the current regime:

Tuten Re3yes (couldn't get rid of him quickly enough)

Matt Bowen

Peerless v2

Those are the biggest ones that haven't panned out. I personally feel like Guy had a worse record when TD was hear than afterward, which might mean that he had his hands tied by Hollywood D as far as personnel decisions. You have to remember, Guy's primary role is as a scout, not decision-maker. He has his picks for who should be signed, but he doesn't call it and he doesn't decide the budget. Both of those factors could greatly impact who the Bills target in FA and are completely out of his hands.

The only player that really stunk, who was signed under his watch in the new regime, was Reyes, who was benched at mid-season in year one and didn't dress after that.

It seems like the FO was more willing to go after older players under the previous regime than they are now. This might have something to do with his success rate. I would be willing to bet that, based on percentages, younger free agents (under 30) have a higher success rate than older ones (over 30) do.

I believe the thought process behind this is to get a guy just hitting his prime rather than a vet on the decline.

The Bills front office has been outstanding. :unsure:

They have accumulated an immense amount of talent over the last few years - whcih has fueled the impressive playoff run the team has been on. <_<

I can not believe there is anyone who can challenge the quality and performance of our front office. The major players have been here for close to a decade and the8ir playoff record speaks for itself. Just look at all those late round gems that have turned into star players.

Once again another idiot compares the last three years to the last 10 years. <_<

what i see as lacking in the past is no plan for the future in respect tothe combination of draft and fa..neither dept seemed to be ahead of the curve in combining for aquistions//

proof of this was the donte witner pick..dt was a major need ,then as it is now the bills selected donte over haloti ngata.. while donte has been a solid pick ngata has been widely veiwed as a top 5 dt league wide already,, the lack of integration between scouting , drafting and free agency created this situation ,,, that year in free agency a unpreceedented number of quality safties were available ,had the bills acted during then they could of aquired a higher need and harder to find dt.

the following year the draft was loaded at the safety position ..\

it seems that no single voice can create the direction or forsight for them thus the 3 headed monster at one bills drive. l.......ast year the bills turned down a possible trade up with san fran, for the obvious need aquistion the bills were thought to want .. the passed on it... now mlb patrick willis last years rookie of the year who made the pro bowl as a rookie is there ,, while i think marshawn is a great prospect it sure would ve been nice to see ngata with willis behind him,,, besides,, isnt the rule running backs are a dime a dozen,

Man! You should be the GM!!!

NOT!!!

To me, the article went too easy on the staff, which in itself is eerily similar to what it was when Donahoe was around.

When good decisions were made beginning in 2006, everyone credited the front office, although that same front office was given a pass whenever something or someone didn't pan out. Examples are the free agent class of 2006 with Larry Tripplett, Peerless Price, Matt Bowen, Tutan Reyes, Anthony Thomas, Kiwaukee Thomas, Melvin Fowler, Robert Royal, Craig Nall, and Andre Davis. Only two of those guys are with the team two years after, and neither is much of a starter.

Some fans will attempt to minimize those signings because of the moderate costs, but the drafts haven't been stellar either. Try drafting a SS with a premier DT in Ngata on the board. Buffalo's been trying to find a DT since 2006, and I give them credit for acquring Stroud, but it should never have taken 2 full seasons to realize they didn't have the personnel to stop opposing RB's from running wild. In essence, this is the fault of management for going along with Jauron's failed scheme of smaller and quicker. I'm not a fan of micromanagement, but if ever there is a coach who needs some, it's DJ. Only 10 coaches in NFL history have a worse winning percentage that have coached 100+ games.

Additionally, only one franchise in the league has neither a GM or VP of Player Personnel. That team is the Buffalo Bills, a franchise that cannot miss on draft day in the first 2-3 rounds. With that in mind, I'd like to know who has final say on draft picks. With teams like Indy, GB, the Giants, SD, and most others, it's evident who that person is. If anyone's read The GM, it's a great insight on how another front office works.

To me, the article went too easy on the staff, which in itself is eerily similar to what it was when Donahoe was around.

When good decisions were made beginning in 2006, everyone credited the front office, although that same front office was given a pass whenever something or someone didn't pan out. Examples are the free agent class of 2006 with Larry Tripplett, Peerless Price, Matt Bowen, Tutan Reyes, Anthony Thomas, Kiwaukee Thomas, Melvin Fowler, Robert Royal, Craig Nall, and Andre Davis. Only two of those guys are with the team two years after, and neither is much of a starter.

Some fans will attempt to minimize those signings because of the moderate costs, but the drafts haven't been stellar either. Try drafting a SS with a premier DT in Ngata on the board. Buffalo's been trying to find a DT since 2006, and I give them credit for acquring Stroud, but it should never have taken 2 full seasons to realize they didn't have the personnel to stop opposing RB's from running wild. In essence, this is the fault of management for going along with Jauron's failed scheme of smaller and quicker. I'm not a fan of micromanagement, but if ever there is a coach who needs some, it's DJ. Only 10 coaches in NFL history have a worse winning percentage that have coached 100+ games.

Additionally, only one franchise in the league has neither a GM or VP of Player Personnel. That team is the Buffalo Bills, a franchise that cannot miss on draft day in the first 2-3 rounds. With that in mind, I'd like to know who has final say on draft picks. With teams like Indy, GB, the Giants, SD, and most others, it's evident who that person is. If anyone's read The GM, it's a great insight on how another front office works.

1. Just because YOU didnt agree with the Whitner pick doesnt mean the FO sucks. It means you didnt agree with them.

2. Funny how you claim the Bills desperately need to hit on the 1st 2-3 rounds in the draft and act like our front office has somehow whiffed on the picks, or is disabling us from making the correct picks. They've had 6 picks the past 2 years in the top 3 rounds, and came away with 2 very good players and soon to be stars (Whitner, Lynch), 3 players showing some real promise (McCargo, Poz, Edwards), and only 1 pick that has not panned out (as of yet, but i am willing to give him more time), in Youboty. And he was a 3rd rounder.

Front Office Workings

After reading the article, it seemed the Bills have their strategy mapped out, as all teams should.

It would be nice to see someone in the official role as General Manager or Player Personnel Czar, but that's been covered ad infinitum.

It's JMO, but John Guy is portrayed to be something of a FA guru, which as we all know, ain't exactly the case. His track record (or lack thereof) is only eclipsed by Larry Quinn's.

I'll maintain that savvy front offices are the deciding factor in a franchise's succcess. They find the players who ultimately get on the field. Although the coaches have their role, they can't do a thing until having the right personnel. These last two years, Buffalo's personnel has been severely lacking, and probably only the beginning of a rebuild plan that no one wanted to admit.

Yeah but Larry holds press conferences.

He likes to show off the mess when he sh*ts the bed.

Front Office Workings

While to a point it is important for the front office guys to get GOOD FOOTBALL players, it is equally or more important for the coaches to get these players on the field and mould them to be NFL caliber players. The coaches should never try to push a scheme down the throat of players that does NOT Take into the strength and weakness of the players they have....'

Except for few exceptional athletes the NFL is a pretty level playing field, with most of the players on par as far as talent is considered. That is why it is very important to have a very good coaching staff.

“We exercised extreme patience with regard to the trade for Stroud,” Overdorf said. “It was a total team effort, starting with Mr. Wilson. . . .We had options available to us. We had a couple things that you probably wouldn’t believe, which we thought we were going to move forward with, but that we discovered just weren’t going to be in our best interest to do.”

That was the most intriguing part of the article to me. I wonder what those things were that we wouldn't believe.

Guy is VP of Player Personnel and Modrak has final say on draft picks.

“We exercised extreme patience with regard to the trade for Stroud,” Overdorf said. “It was a total team effort, starting with Mr. Wilson. . . .We had options available to us. We had a couple things that you probably wouldn’t believe, which we thought we were going to move forward with, but that we discovered just weren’t going to be in our best interest to do.”

That was the most intriguing part of the article to me. I wonder what those things were that we wouldn't believe.

dam I hate statements like that,!!! I still want to know about the trade Polian got talked out of in the 80;s.. he has said many times he regretted not doing it..