My first phone call from Bills marketing

Obviously to the neanderthals here it is better to sit down and lap up answers than stand up and ask questions...

For the record, I don't thing you're a dik because of your feelings about the Bills (I don't care either way)--I think you're a dik for bragging about being a dik on the phone with some poor guy who was only doing his job.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, I don't thing you're a dik because of your feelings about the Bills (I don't care either way)--I think you're a dik for bragging about being a dik on the phone with some poor guy who was only doing his job.

Agreed. that's either an intern a new new hire who already hates his job. Plus, if you think it's hard to sell a back to abck 7-9 club how would you like to have been a marketing intern in April of 1986 coming off 2 2-14 years, when rumors were swirling about moving to toher places and Jim Kelly had not yet come out of the USFL? THAT was a crappy job.

I haven't been a season ticket holder since 04 but here is this gentleman (we'll call him "Erik") calling me this evening at my local downtown watering hole, wondering if I'm interested in purchasing season tickets.

Normally I'd hang up the phone but I wondered what angle he would take in trying to push his moribund product on a fan base that is a tad bit skeptical so I hung on.

"Hello Bishop this is Erik from the Bills wondering if you would be interesting in purchasing season tickets for the '08 season?"

Hiya Erik, as a fan that has attended games since the War Memorial period I'm always interested in my homeys but the off season scuttlebut and Mr. Wilson's flirtations with Toronto has left me wondering whether this team has any future here.

"Excellent point Bishop and one that has been mentioned by others I've talked to. Let me be the first to tell you that the Bills' marketing approach to secure the Bills future in WNY includes expanding its' base into the Toronto market"

Come again?

"Well as I'm sure you know this is nothing new in the NFL. At one time Green Bay played almost half thier season in Milwaukee."

Yeah but wasn't that back in say oh the seventies and eighties? And last I checked Milwaukee was in the same state and country as Green Bay. Was there a move afoot back then to pirate the Pack to Brewtown like there seems to be with Rogers and TO?

"We'll only be playing one game a year there Bishop for the next five years, plus three presason games" he seemed to mention almost aplogetically. "In addition Bishop we won't have to play in England, Mexico, or Japan like some NFL times will have to do."

Some consolation there Erik. I doubt very much the Jacksonville Jags are being courted to move to Birmingham UK.

Well how about this Erik, why don't the Bills play five preseason games and three regs over the next five years. Maybe then I might be a little less nervous. Afterall the last time a Buffalo Major League franchise tried to expand its base across the border they wound up in San Diego so pardon me for being a little cynical.

"Huh?"

Nevermind, a little before your time. Is it difficult selling a team that has been pretty pathetic for the last eight years. That is to say what kind of product are you planning on putting on the field in the upcoming months?

"Great you should that mention Bishop. We hope to fortify our already promising squad with a solid draft. Who would you like to see the Bills draft"

A big strong WR (as I quickly recalled the stock answer I've heard countless times over the last month or so)

"Excellent, so can we count on you as being part of our twelfth man next season Bishop"

Uh....possibly. Can you guarentee me a Superbowl like Green Bay got after they were done with the Milwaukee experiment?

"We can certainly try"

Well then I'll be in touch.

I wanted to tell the guy what an arsehole Ralph truly is (this after Erik telling me all the "wonderful" things Wilson has done for WNY) and I wanted to complain about the monumental blunder of the Bills for not deciding to be in the same division as Pittsburgh and Cleveland but the guy seemed so sincere.

I'll probably be hearing from Erik again in the not too distant future...and again..and again...and again

I think the young man spells his name E-r-i-c.

How did he reach you at the local watering hole, and did Erik say, "Give me Hedd"?

I used to give telemarketers grief. Now I just say, "Wow! I'm interested! Tell me more!" and put the phone down until they hang up.

My other ploy is to say, "Listen, this isn't a good time. Can you give me your home phone number, and I'll call you during the dinner hour?" :thumbsup:

Bishop, you're missing the point.

This is a forum for Bills fans to discuss the team and generally be fans of the team.

Your post was just sad and bitter. I'm not sure if you expected to get a bunch of "right on!" replies, but that's not the tone of this board.

You seem like the type of guy who sends his opinion into the Buffalo news for the Sunday section of mini-editorals. I skip those. Nothing of use there. Nor here.

You know there's always a reason not to buy season tickets. If it's not Toronto it's something else. I say who cares about Toronto? Shoot the lock off the wallet and buy a damn ticket. I live 500 miles away and I have a pair of seasons. They're so cheap compared to the rest of the NFL how can you not buy 'em?

PTR

I suspect another drink at your watering hole would have been more productive than this thread...

Good point. Please note that Bishop started this thread at 11:00 P.M. and he said Erik got in touch with him at the watering hole. I am sure Erik has a 9-5 job, so at minimum that gave Biship 6 quality hours of pounding Genny Screamers before this post was started.

I guess, for me, this thread just comes down to some people like to B word. For those people that are so certain that Ralph is a terrible owner consumed with greed, that the Bills are horribly run and don't even try to field a winning product, that all the players are sub par scrubs that wouldn't make any other roster, that the Bills are on their way out town; why do you even bother watching the team? Why do you post on a Bills fan forum? Why do wake up in the morning? Why don't you just find a better team with a great owner and winning attitude and follow them every day?

Seriously, I just don't understand the mentality it would take to spend so much time and energy talking about and watching something that you so obviously don't like. Is there any other rational explanation other than some people just like to B word?

I find it interesting about this whole notion that Ralph is prepping the Bills to move to Toronto. Ya know maybe the team will move; maybe they won't. I really don't know. But, it was just a few weeks ago someone posted a few links to the archived Sports Illustrated articles and an article about the Bills in the early 70's. I forget the most of it (because my brain doesn't function properly) but I seem to recall reading about some miserable seasons just before OJ got to the team and speculation that the Bills would be moving to LA. I couldn't help but think.. wow. This whole moving thing has been going on for darn near 40 years? Imagine that if you will; a fan completely convinced in 1970 that the team was about to be moved. I wonder if Bishop's dad still thinks that or if he's gotten past it.

I'm not sure what's more sad... that an owner could forgo all that money and keep a team in a city for nearly half a century while maintaining one of the least expensive fan experiences and still be considered a cheap, money-grubbing SOB? Or that someone would claim to be a fan of a team and do nothing but talk negative about every aspect of the team (and somehow twist that around to convince himself that he's the true fan because he doesn't like the team)?

Man I knew this board was full of ignorant toolboxes but I had no idea. No wonder I very rarely post here. Obviously to the neanderthals here it is better to sit down and lap up answers than stand up and ask questions when making a major commitment of time and money. Besides totally misreading my post, which a majority of you twits somehow managed to do (did I ever refuse to buy the season tickets?), there seems to be a noticable lack of any sort of suss when it comes to Wilson and the Bills organization.

It basically can be summed up like this: Football good, Ralph and Bills good, anybody who dare ask questions of above is "dik" (sic).

Christ I could go into any sports oriented bar in WNY and most if not all would agree with everything I have said...but here?

Sorry Darin, I guess you're not the only illiterate reactionary.

Using the thesaurus to prove your intelligent just furthers my theory that you're a pompous windbag. It's fairly obvious to all that have posted here that you are a narcissistic, self-seeking, grandstanding troglodyte (see I can use big words too) that expected high-fives and cheers for his pathetic post and now has to go on the defensive because he's been embarrassed with the reaction he didn't expect.

"Erik" struggled to make it seem that he was enthused about the Bills prospects but peel away the veneer and I could sense he felt like we all do around here...we're living on borrowed time.

Maybe he was a minimum wage telemarketer trying to sell a product, not speculate on draft picks, debate marketing strategies, or question the owner's commitment to Buffalo.

I am sure it was a struggle to seem enthused after repeatedly debating NFL marketing and politics, especially with people who were not buying anyway!

Walk in HIS shoes for a day!

Good argument perhaps - but aimed at the wrong target.

Man I knew this board was full of ignorant toolboxes but I had no idea. No wonder I very rarely post here. Obviously to the neanderthals here it is better to sit down and lap up answers than stand up and ask questions when making a major commitment of time and money. Besides totally misreading my post, which a majority of you twits somehow managed to do (did I ever refuse to buy the season tickets?), there seems to be a noticable lack of any sort of suss when it comes to Wilson and the Bills organization.

It basically can be summed up like this: Football good, Ralph and Bills good, anybody who dare ask questions of above is "dik" (sic).

Christ I could go into any sports oriented bar in WNY and most if not all would agree with everything I have said...but here?

Yes, Ralph is expanding into Toronto. Yes, Ralph questions the 'profit sharing' within the NFL. Yes, Ralph was one of 2 (Mike Brown) owners that voted against the current Collective Barg Agreement. And Yes, the Bills have been one of the worst on-field (when looking at playoffs) franchises the past 8 years.

With that said, one should not have tunnel vision when putting Ralph and the Bills down. Buffalo and WNY is sitting with Detroit in a horrible housing, working and living market - that is no surprise to any of us. Just b/c Toronto is in Canada it has to be viewed as such a horrible thing? The Bills need fans - whether its from NY or Toronto or wherever. Do you think teams such as the Chiefs, or Panthers, or Saints etc dont market their teams to cities a couple hours away from the stadium? Buffalo is in the bottom of the barrel in generating income. Would you be happier if Ralph picked up and sold the franchise to LA? He is doing what he thinks is best for the current franchise to keep it in WNY - which i think he deserves to do as he along with the Lamar Hunts of the NFL has built it into what it is today. He is more than qualified.

Ralph has gripes with the NFL b/c the current profit sharing plan will eventually kill small franchises like ours as the salary cap keeps pushing higher and higher. We arent in DC or NY or Dallas where there are hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue and profit to throw at players. It isnt hurting us this year - but 5, 10 years down the road it will b/c it is not an evenly balanced profit shar across all spectrums (TV etc).

Collec Barg agreement - funny how the owners are now looking at it and saying that they got a raw deal. Ralph and Mike B were criticized endlessly for voting against the deal - all they wanted was to really sit down and analyze it before approving.

We have had our share of 7-9 and 8-8 seasons the past 8 or so years, but we have kept the seasons exciting through most of the year, before fizzing out at the end. Before the Pat's were so dominant in the 2000's, they were bottomfeeders as well through the 80's early 90's.

And I think if you said this in a bar in WNY, you would get the same response as this board b/c us Bills fans are true and true to the heart.

Kinda like "government good, more government better, anyone who thinks differently is an "illiterate reactionary, neocon, etc"?

Parody...

Does anybody expect the product this year to be any better than the dreadful product they put on the field last year?

Absofreakinglutely! :D

Last year's injury list was a fluke. Can you imagine how good last year's team would have been sans injury?

I'm continually amazed how some people will swallow everything this franchise throws at them without question for the sole reason that we should feel so privileged to have a team.

It's that kind of attitude that has allowed Wilson and company to chew up this area and spit us out.

I'm not , in the words of WC Fields........there's a seasons ticket holder born every minute.