Ravens Eyeing Wideouts

MattM

Ravens could draft 2, Tennessee could draft 2... who else? i know there are other teams that could pick a WR early and late.

even though this draft is supposed to be deep in WRs, when the run starts, i hope we are in a position to still get our guy.

Ravens could draft 2, Tennessee could draft 2... who else? i know there are other teams that could pick a WR early and late.

even though this draft is supposed to be deep in WRs, when the run starts, i hope we are in a position to still get our guy.

Currently I think the following teams require a good #1 WR.

Buffalo

Baltimore

Washington

Philadelphia

San Francisco

NY Jets

Miami

Pittsburgh

Denver

Tennessee

Atlanta

Tampa Bay

Seattle

Chicago

If we do trade down from the #11 pick, we will lose out on the top 3 WRs as I think there is going to be a run on WR from the 17th spot onwards.

I can also see the Dolphins and Jets take a WR with their 2nd round pick ahead of us. I don't think the Bills are going to get that tall #1 legit WR in the draft in the 2nd round.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Hopefully this won't lead to them swooping in and taking our guy in Rds 1 or 2......

The article says the Ravens are looking at James Hardy as one choice. Hopefully they take him because I hope he's not on Buffalo's draft board. They can have Ray Lewis mentor him on how to beat the rap.

Buffalo

Baltimore

Washington

Philadelphia

San Francisco

NY Jets

Miami

Pittsburgh

Denver

Tennessee

Atlanta

Tampa Bay

Seattle

Chicago

If we do trade down from the #11 pick, we will lose out on the top 3 WRs as I think there is going to be a run on WR from the 17th spot onwards.

I can also see the Dolphins and Jets take a WR with their 2nd round pick ahead of us. I don't think the Bills are going to get that tall #1 legit WR in the draft in the 2nd round.

you might be right with this

That's not really a surprise. There are quite a few teams in the market for a WR going into this draft, further complicating the Bills' draft strategy over the next three weeks. If they choose to wait it out and pick a WR at 41, they may be stuck with a bunch of guys who don't fit either their offense or their apparent height requirement, or in a worst case scenario, both.

I don't necessarily disagree with waiting a round to pick a WR, but the Bills need to be careful and have a good contingency plan in place should their guy(s) be off the board. If they don't come out of this draft with a significant upgrade in their receiving corps, whether that be a TE or WR, preferably both, I think this offense is going to be more than a little underwhelming yet again this season.

Buffalo

Baltimore

Washington

Philadelphia

San Francisco

NY Jets

Miami

Pittsburgh

Denver

Tennessee

Atlanta

Tampa Bay

Seattle

Chicago

i agree with your entire assessment. but i dont think we'll trade out of #11 as much as choose a Defensive player. maybe we follow tradition and trade back into the first? it IS sorta our thing...

i think the run will start around 17 as well, there will probably be 5 gone by the time we pick again in the second.

i agree with your entire assessment. but i dont think we'll trade out of #11 as much as choose a Defensive player. maybe we follow tradition and trade back into the first? it IS sorta our thing...

i think the run will start around 17 as well, there will probably be 5 gone by the time we pick again in the second.

I think that the run could realistically start as early as 14 with Chicago, assuming the Bills don't start it themselves. They re-signed Marty Booker after the Dolphins dumped him, but he's 31 years old and again, dumped by a miserable Dolphins offense. The rest of their WRs aren't much.

I think that the run could realistically start as early as 14 with Chicago, assuming the Bills don't start it themselves. They re-signed Marty Booker after the Dolphins dumped him, but he's 31 years old and again, dumped by a miserable Dolphins offense. The rest of their WRs aren't much.

The bears could do that, but they're just as likely to go oline/rb/dt or possibly Brian Brohm.

That's not really a surprise. There are quite a few teams in the market for a WR going into this draft, further complicating the Bills' draft strategy over the next three weeks. If they choose to wait it out and pick a WR at 41, they may be stuck with a bunch of guys who don't fit either their offense or their apparent height requirement, or in a worst case scenario, both.

I don't necessarily disagree with waiting a round to pick a WR, but the Bills need to be careful and have a good contingency plan in place should their guy(s) be off the board. If they don't come out of this draft with a significant upgrade in their receiving corps, whether that be a TE or WR, preferably both, I think this offense is going to be more than a little underwhelming yet again this season.

don't worry.

The Bills will panic and severely overpay to move back into the 1st round to reach for one of the overrated WR "studs"

No matter that Bennet or Nelson will still be there when they would have picked.

Buffalo -

Baltimore -

Washington -

Philadelphia

San Francisco -

NY Jets

Miami

Pittsburgh -

Denver -

Tennessee

Atlanta

Tampa Bay -

Seattle -

Chicago

Depending on Marshall's rehab, I don't see Denver needing one... nor San Fran. San Fran has good recievers, just no one throwing them the ball.

Washington has that Santana Moss character... Pittsburgh has the ex-Super Bowl MVP Hines Ward and the up and coming Santonio Holmes, even though Ben says he wants a big reciever, I guess he forgot he has Heath Miller and Matt Spaeth.

I don't see them as needing #1's....

The guys who I see as needing a pretty good one are Seattle since they already have Deion Branch (assuming he can stay healthy), Tampa Bay will most certainly need one in the coming years because Joey Galloway isn't getting younger... which raises the quesiton also what the hell happened to Maurice Stovall?

I see the ones needing a legitamite #2 as Buffalo, Baltimore, and New York, with Lee Evans, Mark Clayton/Derrick Mason, and Laverneus Coles as their #1's, respectively.

Who legitimately needs a #1? Miami, Philly, Atlanta, Tennesse, and Chicago. Miami has Ted Ginn and.... yeah. Philly has Kevin Curtis and Reggie Brown, both great #2's, Tennessee has.... Justin Gage... and Atlanta has a defense and a dark, black void on the "Offense" side of the depth chart. Chicago picked up Marty Booker, but lost Bernard Berrian and Moose, so I'd say who glaringly needs a #1 are Tennessee, Chicago, Miami and Atlanta.

... I'm not depraving your post whatsoever, just my analysis on who really needs what. It will come down to pure speculation on draft day.

If Big Ben pushes for Hardy, if Deion wants a tall guy on the other side, if New York has no faith in Laverneus, if Baltimore doesn't think Demetrius Williams has anything in him, if 3 speedsters and Chris Cooley aren't considered enough for Campbell, if Maurice Stovall hits the third year stride, if Chicago is happy with Marty Booker (I actually started laughing while typing this), if Tennessee doesn't see corner and OL aren't big enough problems, if Atlanta is retarted, if Tuna thinks WR is a glaring hole among the field in that book Holes, et cetra...

So many if's going in to draft day, that's why I love talking about it :censored:

No matter what, even though we need a good CB, we need a top tier posession receiver to put on the opposite side of Lee Evans. We took Lynch last year because he was the best guy available for us at a position of need for our team. That worked out well I think. We will do the same thing again this year by taking Kelly, Sweed, or Thomas. Whomever our "braintrust" feels is the better of the three.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing us take Harvey at 11 and then moving back into the later parts of the first round if one of Sweed, Kelly or Thomas is still there and we fear they won't last until we pick in Rd 2. Comp. would probably be potentially our number 1 next year and a pick/player (GB might be interested in Losman, for ex. as the player) or our 2 and 3 this year. In a perfect world the comp. would only be our 2nd and JP, but the only team I could see doing this at the end of Rd 1 would be GB. This way we'd get a talented WR a year earlier than next year and have the added benefit of being able to sign our 1st rounders to 6 year deals versus the 4 year max that rounds 2-7 picks are allowed (I do think that's part of the reason we've moved up in the past).

Depending on Marshall's rehab, I don't see Denver needing one... nor San Fran. San Fran has good recievers, just no one throwing them the ball.

That is a big question mark though

Washington has that Santana Moss character... Pittsburgh has the ex-Super Bowl MVP Hines Ward and the up and coming Santonio Holmes, even though Ben says he wants a big reciever, I guess he forgot he has Heath Miller and Matt Spaeth.

I don't see them as needing #1's....

Washing is in the same boat as. Santana Moss is similar to Lee Evans...Small and fast....They don't have that big WR that can separate and move double coverage away from Moss. If we are in need of a 1st round talent so do the Redskins.

Hines Ward is getting there in age and is likely to play more of a slot receiver. Holmes came on, but he is more a home run threat...They are really missing Plaxico Burress and that is what Ben wants...However, I agree that it is not their main concern....Their OL is in a mess and was horrible last year, shielded mainly by Bens heroics....Plus down the stretch they did forget that they had Miller and Spaeth.

The guys who I see as needing a pretty good one are Seattle since they already have Deion Branch (assuming he can stay healthy), Tampa Bay will most certainly need one in the coming years because Joey Galloway isn't getting younger... which raises the quesiton also what the hell happened to Maurice Stovall?

I see the ones needing a legitamite #2 as Buffalo, Baltimore, and New York, with Lee Evans, Mark Clayton/Derrick Mason, and Laverneus Coles as their #1's, respectively.

They may be a #2, but the argument is that you want to probably get a 1st round talent to fill that #2 position.

So many if's going in to draft day, that's why I love talking about it :censored:

Agreed...That is the beauty of the whole pre-draft weeks.

I like Jordy Nelson a lot. I think he'll still be around.

don't worry.

The Bills will panic and severely overpay to move back into the 1st round to reach for one of the overrated WR "studs"

No matter that Bennet or Nelson will still be there when they would have picked.

:censored: That is one of the dumbest posts I've seen here.

No matter what, even though we need a good CB, we need a top tier posession receiver to put on the opposite side of Lee Evans. We took Lynch last year because he was the best guy available for us at a position of need for our team. That worked out well I think. We will do the same thing again this year by taking Kelly, Sweed, or Thomas. Whomever our "braintrust" feels is the better of the three.

No, it sucked! The Bills reached for him!! Just like Whitner, McCargo and Poz. The Bills screw the draft up bad. Just read Brandon's post above. :devil:

don't worry.

You haven't heard that Buffalo doesn't reach, and that there really isn't such a thing as reaching. <_<

Buffalo can't hide the fact that they've got a hole the size of the Grand Canyon at WR. No one can sugarcoat the fact they've got no one to play opposite Evans.

Earl Bennett is a good option in the second, and Nelson is as well. They won't win the name recognition battle most fans fight on this board, but they'll be available and won't require a trade back into the late first or early second round.