Greatest Catch You've Ever Seen By A BILLS Receiver?

The reminiscing in an earlier post with Chandler#81 got me thinking ... What's your pick for the greatest catch you've ever seen by a Bills receiver?

-

For me it always comes down to these two ...

-

"The Catch" ... Bills - Lions, 1972, last game at the Rockpile, 21-21 tie in a game that had 6 TD passes ... Bob Chandler's TD catch ... there were quite a few years in Western New York where a Bills fan could say "the catch" and the other person knew which play you were talking about. The body rotation, body parallel to the ground, feet dragging the end line, three defenders on him TD catch on the bad throw by Dennis Shaw. It's been thirty-six years and "the catch" still ranks right up there ... If you're under forty, go ask your father. Chandler was the PAC-8 decathalon champ back when ... well, back when the PAC-10 was the PAC-8. His balance, body control, strength and speed all teamed up on that one play.

-

(RUNNER-UP) Bills - Raiders, AFC Championship, Bills win 51-3 ... James Lofton's ballerina-on-a-tightrope catch sprinting down the Bills sideline ... his feet were in bounds and his body was not, and somehow he did that for about seven strides ... The pass from Kelly looked overthrown and too far out of bounds to reach. Gravity caught up with James - eventually - and the play wasn't a scoring play, but it was a long gain on a third down pass. A lot of things went right for the Bills that afternoon, but Lofton's catch was a thing of beauty. You can have Swan; Lofton was the most graceful I ever saw.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't remember the game (or even the year for that matter), but Moulds had a beautful diving, one-handed grab and in mid-air he tucked and landed in a perfect summersault. It was a thing of beauty to watch live...

jerry butlers career ender.. diving catch into end zone ,,he was airborne for what seemed like ten yards ,when he landed he broke his leg so bad he retired

I was one of the very few people at that game and it certainly wasn't on TV so if you remember this you are a true fan.

Personally, I was 7. I remember that we were winning early, Lucious Sanford did something stupid which prolonged a drive and we blew it in the end. The weather was gray and rainy. The guy next to us was hammered by Q2. and there was a HUUUGE "Squish the Fish" sign hanging from the upper deck.

I was one of the very few people at that game and it certainly wasn't on TV so if you remember this you are a true fan.

Personally, I was 7. I remember that we were winning early, Lucious Sanford did something stupid which prolonged a drive and we blew it in the end. The weather was gray and rainy. The guy next to us was hammered by Q2. and there was a HUUUGE "Squish the Fish" sign hanging from the upper deck.

I was NOT hammered.

Roland Hooks in a 1981-82? game against the Pats* made two great catches near the end to win. First he made a spectacular diving catch around mid-field, this set up a hail mary catch in the end zone from Fergy to win the game for the Bills.

Roland Hooks in a 1981-82? game against the Pats* made two great catches near the end to win. First he made a spectacular diving catch around mid-field, this set up a hail mary catch in the end zone from Fergy to win the game for the Bills.

i think that pats game it was snowing ,we sat in tunnel end zone when we got up to leave the plastic over us had about 6 inches of snow ,there was n one else even close to us there ,lol great game!!!! awesome memory

The first Roland Hooks catch, IMO, was the greatest Bills catch I ever saw. The second one was the game winner but the first one he was almost parallel to the ground, completely outstretched and made the fingertip grab.

jerry butlers career ender.. diving catch into end zone ,,he was airborne for what seemed like ten yards ,when he landed he broke his leg so bad he retired

i am going to say it was Butler's career ender too. But it wasn't as you said. Butler went up for foa a high ball in the end zome. As he was coming back down to the ground, his leg got smashed between two Miami players and broken in several places. He held on to the ball though for a TD.

Nothing to add, the catches I would have nominated have been mentioned here:

Thurman Thomas vs. Dolphins (1990 playoffs?)

Roland Hooks vs. Patriots (first catch to set up the Hail Mary)

Jerry Butler (career-ender)

Others:

Thurman Thomas vs. Dolphins (1991 opener, stretched out reception).

Andre Reed vs. Patriots (1993 opener, one-handed grab at mid-field and run to the endzone)