You're the Bill's GM and it's April 26th- 11th pick

AKC

Make your pick  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Top available WR is rated #27 overall on our Draft Board

• Take the WR we have rated #27
    • Take the Best Player Available regardless of position
    • Take the Best Player Available at a need position other than WR

Play the GM game in this hypothetical situation- or maybe not so hypothetical if most of the Draft Services are to be believed.

Or if you have another option considering you must pick at 11 and you can't edit the Draft Board.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that's more slanted than a partisan pole?

Would you rather vote for a:

A- Noble and trustworthy Democrat

B- Evil and war-hungry Republican

C- Corrupt Republican

D- Tom Donahoe, who drinks baby's blood

I think the answer there is pretty obvious

TD

Now that's a loaded poll if I've ever seen one.

USA Today has had a large draft contingent for many years. This year, their first WR over 6 foot is rated #22 on their Board. That is in line with many other services. Why would it be "loaded" to imagine our draft board might not have the first big WR at 27? Or if we change the poll to show the WR at 22- do you really think the results are going to magically change to fans reaching for a #22 player with the #11 pick?

I'm sure this has been mentioned before (I haven't read most of the WR threads), but very few WRs make a major impact as rookies. Counting on a rookie to suddenly open up the Bills offense in '08 is a one way ticket to disappointment. There's no reason to reach for a WR in round 1.

USA Today has had a large draft contingent for many years. This year, their first WR over 6 foot is rated #22 on their Board. That is in line with many other services. Why would it be "loaded" to imagine our draft board might not have the first big WR at 27? Or if we change the poll to show the WR at 22- do you really think the results are going to magically change to fans reaching for a #22 player with the #11 pick?

I couldn't care less where USA Today has their first WR rated. All I really care is how the Bills grade the top WR on the board. This is something that neither you, I, nor USA Today know.

If you want an unbiased (or perhaps, less biased) poll, ask it this way:

Would you rather:

a) Draft a WR at 11

b) Draft the BPA, regardless of position

c) Draft the BPA at a need position

As its worded, yours is a classic example of push-polling.

The poll is loaded because you go out of your way to list the ranking of the WR and do not do so for DE. When you list "11th" pick and then show "27th" best player it seems pretty illogical to take the WR.

Look at individual players, or else we are left with reviews based on expert's "opinions" like this one from 2000:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_ga...4/16/king_mmqb/

Some highlights:

Buffalo. Pick 89 overall, Corey Moore, will be one of those classic Bills picks (they always get a very good player after the first round, every year), the kind of player GMs will regret passing on.

8. New England. J.R. Redmond will be the every-down back by Oct. 1. Not bad for the 76th overall pick.

I should note there was no praise for the Pats taking possibly the best QB in NFL history in the 6TH rd

Or in the same year, look at these draft rankings:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/archive/2...nkings.html#olb

QB Tom Brady- 10

Your Draft Value Board and mine might look different. Here's mine for Round 1. The number before the name is the spot at which I expect them to be drafted. It has Malcolm Kelly the 11th best player in this year's draft. Coincidentally, that's the number of our pick.

Round 1, Pick #11

QB

8Matt Ryan - Boston College

RB 6Darren McFadden - AK 211 4.3

18R. Mendenhall - Illinois 225 4.4

22Jonathan Stewart - Ore 235 4.4

30Felix Jones - Arkansas 207 4.4

FB (None)

WR 11Malcolm Kelly - OK biggest 224, 4.55

19Devin Thomas - MichSt, #1, KR 4.4

20DeSean Jackson - CA fast,short 169, 4.35

24Limas Sweed - Texas 215 4.52

28James Hardy - IN tallest,char 217, 4.51

TE (None)

OT 5Jake Long - Michigan

14Jeff Otah - Pittsburgh

12Ryan Clady - Boise State

13Chris Williams - Vanderbilt

32Gosder Cherilus - BC

OG

23Branden Albert - Virginia

C (None)

DE 5Chris Long - Virginia

1Vernon Gholston - Ohio St

16Derrick Harvey - Florida

15Phillip Merling - Clemson

21Calais Campbell - Miami

DT 3Glenn Dorsey - LSU

4Sedrick Ellis - USC

25Kentwan Balmer - NC

OLB DT10 Keith Rivers - USC

ILB (None)

CB 7Leodis McKelvin - Troy

10D. Rodgers-Cromartie Ten St 4.33

18Mike Jenkins - USF char issue

27*Aqib Talib - Kansas shoboat

30Antoine Cason - AZ

FS

29Kenny Phillips - Miami 212, 4.4

SS (None)

This is a hilarious poll. Its not even worth talking about because there is no way that there won't be a wr in the top 5 on our draft board available when the bills pick. The very best wr in this draft will be available at #11. Are you seriously tryng to say that after 10 picks the top wr is ranked 27th best player available. Name 27 players better than Sweed, Kelly, Hardy, Thomas.

This is a hilarious poll. Its not even worth talking about because there is no way that there won't be a wr in the top 5 on our draft board available when the bills pick. The very best wr in this draft will be available at #11. Are you seriously tryng to say that after 10 picks the top wr is ranked 27th best player available. Name 27 players better than Sweed, Kelly, Hardy, Thomas.

I don't think that aspect of it is really a stretch. Its possible that there are 20-30 better players in this draft than the best WR. The question I have is just this:

How much better are they?

Once you get past the top 5-12 picks in most drafts, the next 25-50 usually grade out very similar overall.

I'm sure this has been mentioned before (I haven't read most of the WR threads), but very few WRs make a major impact as rookies. Counting on a rookie to suddenly open up the Bills offense in '08 is a one way ticket to disappointment. There's no reason to reach for a WR in round 1.

I think you are assuming that our major criteria here at #11 is a player that will be a star in his rookie year. If the WR is a future pro bowler, are we going to pass because he won't be a star for a year or two?

I don't see the Bills as being on the precipice of greatness this season, needing just one or two instant contributors to put us over the edge. This is particularly true with the offense. It was the worst in the history of the franchise last year despite the lack of significant injuries on that side of the ball apart from the QB's. We aren't going to turn that offense totally around in one year, it is going to take some time so I have no problem investing in a future star at WR.

I think you are assuming that our major criteria here at #11 is a player that will be a star in his rookie year. If the WR is a future pro bowler, are we going to pass because he won't be a star for a year or two?

Of course not, but the conventional wisdom is that there is no apparent stud at the WR position, hence the discussion about reaching.

I don't see the Bills as being on the precipice of greatness this season, needing just one or two instant contributors to put us over the edge. This is particularly true with the offense. It was the worst in the history of the franchise last year despite the lack of significant injuries on that side of the ball apart from the QB's. We aren't going to turn that offense totally around in one year, it is going to take some time so I have no problem investing in a future star at WR.

I don't see them on the edge of greatness either. Even more reason to pick the best player available and not reach for a specific need. A WR taken later in the draft can develop over the next few years too, or there will be the option to add a WR via trade/free agent before next season.