Housing prices in buff?

mcjeff215

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know.....I just don't like bitter former WNY'ers who have nothing better to do.....except bash the city and tell people that they are crazy for living or wanting to live there

Bitter....who's bitter. I'm pretty damn happy. As a matter of fact, have never been happier in my life. The only time I'm bitter is when I visit WNY.....bitter cold that is. Bwaahahahahaha!

I know.....I just don't like bitter former WNY'ers who have nothing better to do.....except bash the city and tell people that they are crazy for living or wanting to live there

I didn't want to leave...but my eyes were opened after leaving and I can't find many reasons to return other than for the sports and food.

Is your dad the mayor or something?

No not at all... I am just a working chump (swing shift) and I pay about the same rate in Illinois as I would in NYS... Why aren't things so depressed here? It is even more in the northern suburbs... Why are people staying in Chicago when te sales tax is over 10%?

??

You can't just abandon the system that was created... Oh, wait... I guess you can...

Now if taxes are the same here, what seems to be the problem?

It takes money to care for an aging infrastructure... Especially an aging northern post-industrial infrastructure.

I really don't care... Let it go to pot even more.

You'd be surprised. Suburb, 30 miles out of DC and a lot more jobs than in Bufflo/Erie County. you can get a 6000 SQft home with another 2000 in a finished basement with a lot of upgrades for that price right now. And the salaries and jobs to support it if you want.

For 280k? :lol: what the heall happened to your real etsate market there?

Last year I paid around $3,900 in property taxes on a $200,000 home in the suburbs of Albany, that includes a STAR exemption. After the state's tax rebate, I paid slightly less than $3,500. The assessment is $179,000 because the last revaluation had a 7/1/05 valuation date. Now if the house was in the City of Albany, my taxes and water bill would have been higher.

Last year I paid around $3,900 in property taxes on a $200,000 home in the suburbs of Albany, that includes a STAR exemption. After the state's tax rebate, I paid slightly less than $3,500.

That sounds way low. Are you including school taxes as well?

That sounds way low. Are you including school taxes as well?

Yes, School & library: $2,727.82, County, town, water sewer, fire: $1,186.07. 2007 Middle class Star rebate: $441.38. Total after rebate: $3,472.51.

Now all you people who were afraid to come back to NY State because you think taxes are too high can move back. If you think that's low, we must be doing something right in NYS.

Bitter....who's bitter. I'm pretty damn happy. As a matter of fact, have never been happier in my life. The only time I'm bitter is when I visit WNY.....bitter cold that is. Bwaahahahahaha!

My suggestion, then? Don't bother. Visiting, that is. We promise not to miss you.

My suggestion, then? Don't bother. Visiting, that is. We promise not to miss you.

Glad to see that all you WNYers have retained your sense of humor. Seeing my whole family is still there and I love to ski and do it with my dad while he's still around that's the only reason I visit.

Glad to see that all you WNYers have retained your sense of humor. Seeing my whole family is still there and I love to ski and do it with my dad while he's still around that's the only reason I visit.

I've never lived in WNY. And glad to see you have retained your ability to detect sarcasm.

I've never lived in WNY. And glad to see you have retained your ability to detect sarcasm.

That was sarcasm? How was I supposed to detect that? Well now that I know it was sarcasm my real response to your post is that you'd have to get behind a long line of other posters here that wouldn't miss me. <_<

I really miss NY, but after being away for 20 years in the military I think I'll stay in NC. My property tax last year for a $215,000 house was............drum roll please............$800 <ducks> <_<

And this is the point... More power to you because you live in NC... That is a nice incentive! Sure you have services:

Parks

Roads

Highway maint./plowing/salting, etc...

Sewage

gas/water etc...

Schools

Library

Fire/EMT protection

Etc...

Everybody has those...

What is it going to be when that infrastructure gets old? Or is it old now? Now couple that with a post industrial northern enviro...

I am not saying that some taxes aren't extremely high... They are.

Think of the automobile analogy and driving a beater vs. a newer car... You can easily sink or need more money to maintain that beater... And it isn't like you can just throw the old infrastructue out and get a newer one.

And this is the point... More power to you because you live in NC... That is a nice incentive! Sure you have services:

Parks

Roads

Highway maint./plowing/salting, etc...

Sewage

gas/water etc...

Schools

Library

Fire/EMT protection

Etc...

Everybody has those...

What is it going to be when that infrastructure gets old? Or is it old now? Now couple that with a post industrial northern enviro...

I am not saying that some taxes aren't extremely high... They are.

Think of the automobile analogy and driving a beater vs. a newer car... You can easily sink or need more money to maintain that beater... And it isn't like you can just throw the old infrastructue out and get a newer one.

Sure it gets old, but "good governments" make partnerships with local businesses. Hell in my neighborhood we still have feeder lines for elec and cable that are still above ground. The local elec, cable and phone wanted to bury them. So the county signed off, as long as they paid for the upgrade of new sewage and water lines through our section. So we now get buried elec, phone, cable, and an upgraded sewage and water lines, all paid for out of corporate dollars, no tax money at all to upgrade. Look lower taxes, and upgraded infrastructure. It can be done.

Sure it gets old, but "good governments" make partnerships with local businesses. Hell in my neighborhood we still have feeder lines for elec and cable that are still above ground. The local elec, cable and phone wanted to bury them. So the county signed off, as long as they paid for the upgrade of new sewage and water lines through our section. So we now get buried elec, phone, cable, and an upgraded sewage and water lines, all paid for out of corporate dollars, no tax money at all to upgrade. Look lower taxes, and upgraded infrastructure. It can be done.

Water lines up north have to be buried at least 3 feet in the ground (I think even much deeper)... What is it down south?

What happens when those corporations leave for cheaper pastures overseas?