Housing prices in buff?

mcjeff215

The trick is buying a $60-70K 2-unit house in a neighborhood that hasn't gone to crap yet. Then taxes aren't too bad and you can get some rental income too. There are some deals in Sloan. Nice working class neighborhood, if you don't mind the sound of trains.

PTR

Is that with or without the Flamingo's?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the only "what not" is property taxes.

I don't have buffalo specifics, but have a friend in the central part of the state that pays $10k on a $295k house.

What's the big deal?... My house is only worth about 200K (if that) and I pay almost 6k in taxes in "collar county" Illinois (Will-Cook)...

Keep banging the drum it is ONLY New York Sate!

:):wallbash:

And it is more in other places... Yep, they are flocking out of Illinois/Chicago! Oh ya, didn't they just raise the sales tax to over 10% in Cook County... :blink::blink:

Nice scapegoat...

Wow.... $5k on a $180k house? That's freaking ridiculous. They just want to keep me out of NY, don't they? I just looked at a couple of houses in Amherst and the taxes were over 6k! That's going to add five-hundred bucks to a payment. Incredible.

The interest and whatnot is simple math, that makes sense... it's just the taxes I'm not familiar with. I hear "best prices in the country" and it sounds attractive until you consider you're adding another 1/3 or more on top of your standard payment. I never owned when I lived there.

No freaking wonder people leave in droves. Hey, I've an idea if anyone wants to help the economy out up there.... seems kinda simple....

Ya... They are really leaving in droves in Chicago and the Chicagoland suburbs... I am on the south end where things are "cheap."

You know what... It isn't the taxes, etc.. etc.. etc.. It is location... Location, location, and location.

Maybe for once they can stop blaming this and that and realize that everything left not because of taxes but because of geographical location and now there is a post industrial northern infrastructure that is attempting to be maintained.

My point? NYS gets a bad rap... Sure you can find much cheaper taxes elsewhere... But, there are places where they are higher by far... And those places are doing economically well and people aren't flocking out in droves...

What an ultimate "scapegoat" that really has a life of its own!

Ya... They are really leaving in droves in Chicago and the Chicagoland suburbs... I am on the south end where things are "cheap."

You know what... It isn't the taxes, etc.. etc.. etc.. It is location... Location, location, and location.

Maybe for once they can stop blaming this and that and realize that everything left not because of taxes but because of geographical location and now there is a post industrial northern infrastructure that is attempting to be maintained.

My point? NYS gets a bad rap... Sure you can find much cheaper taxes elsewhere... But, there are places where they are higher by far... And those places are doing economically well and people aren't flocking out in droves...

What an ultimate "scapegoat" that really has a life of its own!

Okay, now throw in the fact that the only house I've ever owned is here in Georgia, where I pay a whopping $1600 year. It doesn't so much matter to me how high taxes are elsewhere; going from 1600 to 5200 is a hell of a big jump in tax burden.

I'm certain NYS income tax is probably higher than GA and my expected salary would probably be lower than what I make here.

When you look at all of that, it really doesn't make a whole lot of financial sense to live there. I don't personally care about the location or the weather. That's a non-issue to me.

Okay, now throw in the fact that the only house I've ever owned is here in Georgia, where I pay a whopping $1600 year. It doesn't so much matter to me how high taxes are elsewhere; going from 1600 to 5200 is a hell of a big jump in tax burden.

I'm certain NYS income tax is probably higher than GA and my expected salary would probably be lower than what I make here.

When you look at all of that, it really doesn't make a whole lot of financial sense to live there. I don't personally care about the location or the weather. That's a non-issue to me.

What about utilities (how deep do those go in the south)? Snow removal... Wear and tear on the road infrastructure? What about heating the schools? What not?

Look at the added cost of infrastructure in the urban north? Let alone maint. You just can't bury a plastic water main a foot underground...

Are they going to build heli-pads everywhere so people can avoid the congested highways?

I remember when I first moved to NH, people warned me, "yeah, no income tax and no sales tax is great, but the property tax will get ya!" I took one look at the taxes and laughed...The property tax I pay on my 300k home in NH is the same as what I paid in Rochester, NY...on a 100k home.

You don't live down here I guess. Sure traffic is bad, especially on holiday friday evenings. But you deal with it and take secondary roads. Much better to take 15 minutes extra to get to the mall than to have no job and no future. BTW, if you live outside the beltway, traffic really is no worse then any other suburban area.

This article is on the Business First site today: http://buffalo.bizjournals.com/buffalo/sto...6331200^1607587

Maybe that will answer some of your questions, although it focuses on "median" prices and salaries.

I recently moved back to Buffalo from the NYC area. I was really excited about it and we'll see where it goes in the future. I'm not going to get into it right now, but in a few short months I have learned exactly why people leave the region. Suffice to say it has nothing to do with property taxes or the weather.

What about utilities (how deep do those go in the south)? Snow removal... Wear and tear on the road infrastructure? What about heating the schools? What not?

Look at the added cost of infrastructure in the urban north? Let alone maint. You just can't bury a plastic water main a foot underground...

My point is that I *want* to move back, it just seems that there are a million hurdles. I'm not down on the region at all. Realizing I'm going to tack another 400 onto my payment sucks no matter how you look at it.

Wow.... $5k on a $180k house? That's freaking ridiculous. They just want to keep me out of NY, don't they? I just looked at a couple of houses in Amherst and the taxes were over 6k! That's going to add five-hundred bucks to a payment. Incredible.

The interest and whatnot is simple math, that makes sense... it's just the taxes I'm not familiar with. I hear "best prices in the country" and it sounds attractive until you consider you're adding another 1/3 or more on top of your standard payment. I never owned when I lived there.

No freaking wonder people leave in droves. Hey, I've an idea if anyone wants to help the economy out up there.... seems kinda simple....

Depends where you go......our house is assessed at a little lower than that but we pay like 2500 in taxes....its not that bad....just do your research as to the towns with the best rates

Don't forget, you have to heat the damn thing six months out of the year.

You sound like a bitter man....grow some balls....as if people in the Sun Belt don't "cool" their houses 6 months out of the year?

Is your dad the mayor or something?

This article is on the Business First site today: http://buffalo.bizjournals.com/buffalo/sto...6331200^1607587

but in a few short months I have learned exactly why people leave the region. Suffice to say it has nothing to do with property taxes or the weather.

:thumbsup:

Don't let these guys get you riled up - they like to ignore things like the amount of home your $ will buy and don't mention the STAR exemptions which greatly reduce the amount of taxes you pay on your home.

Like the linked article showed quite clearly (with sources and stats as opposed to Brie and wine fueled anti-NY tirades) that it is actually pretty affordable to live in WNY.

I won't argue that the taxes aren't too high, or that our job market is weak, but there are economic advantages to living here if you have a decent job or marketable skill set.

Don't let these guys get you riled up - they like to ignore things like the amount of home your $ will buy and don't mention the STAR exemptions which greatly reduce the amount of taxes you pay on your home.

Like the linked article showed quite clearly (with sources and stats as opposed to Brie and wine fueled anti-NY tirades) that it is actually pretty affordable to live in WNY.

I won't argue that the taxes aren't too high, or that our job market is weak, but there are economic advantages to living here if you have a decent job or marketable skill set.

I know.....I just don't like bitter former WNY'ers who have nothing better to do.....except bash the city and tell people that they are crazy for living or wanting to live there