Housing prices in buff?

mcjeff215

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Water lines up north have to be buried at least 3 feet in the ground (I think even much deeper)... What is it down south?

What happens when those corporations leave for cheaper pastures overseas?

Cable, telephone, elec can't go overseas. And yeah they bury at least 3 feet deep here as well. In fact our development put a requirement that the public lines are 6 feet deep with the feeds to the home at 3 feet. It's a pain when they had to replace a power line for my neighbor, because they can't use the standand line burying machine. They had to backhoe the line, ripped up my front yard.

Cable, telephone, elec can't go overseas. And yeah they bury at least 3 feet deep here as well. In fact our development put a requirement that the public lines are 6 feet deep with the feeds to the home at 3 feet. It's a pain when they had to replace a power line for my neighbor, because they can't use the standand line burying machine. They had to backhoe the line, ripped up my front yard.

I mean once the local companies leave... Who do they deal with to maintain the infrastructure... Nothing lasts forever... Now of course the utility companies maintain there own business infrastructure through the years... Where do they raise funds to maintain other sysytems?

On another note:

Look at the north and how through the depression and later they helped paved the way for rural electricfication and other utilities out west and in other rural communites across the country off the backs of the northern workers... Now their own (the north's) infrastructure may be needing some work... Who is bailing them out?

Some thanks the industrial (post) north gets from the "welfare queens" in the rest of the country!

I mean once the local companies leave... Who do they deal with to maintain the infrastructure... Nothing lasts forever... Now of course the utility companies maintain there own business infrastructure through the years... Where do they raise funds to maintain other sysytems?

On another note:

Look at the north and how through the depression and later they helped paved the way for rural electricfication and other utilities out west and in other rural communites across the country off the backs of the northern workers... Now their own (the north's) infrastructure may be needing some work... Who is bailing them out?

Some thanks the industrial (post) north gets from the "welfare queens" in the rest of the country!

What local companies are leaving and going overseas? They don't leave here, because taxes are lower, highly educated and highly motivated folks (lots of military) are around. We have military and government jobs a plenty and I don't see the US government going overseas. <_<

We constantly are upgrading our infrastructure (roads, fire, police, etc...) and do so on not nearly as much in taxes. If you haven't been in DC area, there is constantly expansion or replacement of roads going on. We have more bypasses, and interstates, all with very few except the "private roads" (e.g., Dulles Toll, Greenway) that charge tolls.

I really miss NY, but after being away for 20 years in the military I think I'll stay in NC. My property tax last year for a $215,000 house was............drum roll please............$800 <ducks> <_<

What you dont point out though is that if you want your kids to get a decent education down in NC you will need to send your kids to private school & pony up roughly 10K per kid for private school.

I have 3 friends that live down in the Charlotte area & each one of them said there trying to move back before their kids start going to school(they 3 & under right now) because the school systems are so bad.

The only time I'm bitter is when I visit WNY.....bitter cold that is. Bwaahahahahaha!

Wow..you are right...it's amazing how I can find the time to defrost my computer to talk to all you lovely's on here

What local companies are leaving and going overseas? They don't leave here, because taxes are lower, highly educated and highly motivated folks (lots of military) are around. We have military and government jobs a plenty and I don't see the US government going overseas. <_<

We constantly are upgrading our infrastructure (roads, fire, police, etc...) and do so on not nearly as much in taxes. If you haven't been in DC area, there is constantly expansion or replacement of roads going on. We have more bypasses, and interstates, all with very few except the "private roads" (e.g., Dulles Toll, Greenway) that charge tolls.

As long as population growth continues, the Greater Washington area can keep taxes low...it's a Ponzi scheme. But once growth slows--as it always does--the same economic forces that hurt older northeastern cities will kick in. The good news for you, however, is that it may take a couple more decades to reach that point.

Sure it gets old, but "good governments" make partnerships with local businesses. Hell in my neighborhood we still have feeder lines for elec and cable that are still above ground. The local elec, cable and phone wanted to bury them. So the county signed off, as long as they paid for the upgrade of new sewage and water lines through our section. So we now get buried elec, phone, cable, and an upgraded sewage and water lines, all paid for out of corporate dollars, no tax money at all to upgrade. Look lower taxes, and upgraded infrastructure. It can be done.

The corporate investment makes sense if they view the region as still having growth potential. It doesn't happen when they see shrinking population and less liklihood of a good return on that investment. That's the vicious cycle that Upstate NY is in right now.

You could call it the Outhouse Effect. You don't spend money refurbishing a crapper that's almost full, when they you could put it into building a brand new one that will last for years.

Wow..you are right...it's amazing how I can find the time to defrost my computer to talk to all you lovely's on here

Question...and remember I don't know where you live. But, if you were to be working on your laptop outside this past weekend would you an/or it have frozen?

What local companies are leaving and going overseas? They don't leave here, because taxes are lower, highly educated and highly motivated folks (lots of military) are around. We have military and government jobs a plenty and I don't see the US government going overseas. :)

True... Like Chicago... Things will always be coming in... I think you think it is a tax thing... IT IS NOT A TAX THING... Some of the highest tax rates in the country are where I live in Illinois, why aren't things leaving like BFLO?

One word:

As long as population growth continues, the Greater Washington area can keep taxes low...it's a Ponzi scheme. But once growth slows--as it always does--the same economic forces that hurt older northeastern cities will kick in. The good news for you, however, is that it may take a couple more decades to reach that point.

BINGO! B-I-N-G-O! We have a winner!

What you dont point out though is that if you want your kids to get a decent education down in NC you will need to send your kids to private school & pony up roughly 10K per kid for private school.

I have 3 friends that live down in the Charlotte area & each one of them said there trying to move back before their kids start going to school(they 3 & under right now) because the school systems are so bad.

Bingo!

The best part of the NY tax system is that if you have children, they will receive a good-great education in the public school system in places that pop you $6K on a $250K house.

There is a beautiful development in Cheektowaga that has prestigious 25 yr old houses, and is surrounded by the nature preserve. I couldn't believe a 3500 sq ft house was offered at $300K. The similar house in a similar area of S. Florida would cost about $1.2 million a few years ago, and maybe $850K today. The catch was the $10K in taxes. Still, if you do a present value of those taxes, it would be like adding $150K or so to the price. That is still around half price.

In S.Fla, public school consists of trailers that can hold 25-35 kids and have an in the wall AC unit. For $8,000 you can send you kid to a decent elementary school and $13,000 gets a decent high school. A regular white collar middle of the road job in Buffalo can fetch $50-65K, while in Miami it is probably $60-85K. NY State takes it's 8% though.

I am probably going to make a move on a solid house in Buffalo over the next 3-6 months as it will probably be prime time to catch rates before they go sky high, and a few more houses should get spit out. A nice 2,000 sq foot house in East Aurora with a few acres is the same price as a 1,000 sq foot cookie cutter condo down in Miami. My old place down there went from $250K to $170K in the past 20 months.

Also, the most you are in your car in Buffalo is usually 30 minutes. The same trip on 95 would take 90 minutes at it's worst. That's 2 hours a day and $1500 in gas you save. There is no nude sunbathing come January in Buffalo though. Or Hispanics for that matter outside of Ferry + Niagara. If I want some goat or tripe, it's west side up here.

Question...and remember I don't know where you live. But, if you were to be working on your laptop outside this past weekend would you an/or it have frozen?

I have a question....if you left your car keys, phone, and a $20 bill on your table at a bar as you were playing a game of darts on the other side of the room, would they be there in 30 minutes?

Bingo!

The best part of the NY tax system is that if you have children, they will receive a good-great education in the public school system in places that pop you $6K on a $250K house.

There is a beautiful development in Cheektowaga that has prestigious 25 yr old houses, and is surrounded by the nature preserve. I couldn't believe a 3500 sq ft house was offered at $300K. The similar house in a similar area of S. Florida would cost about $1.2 million a few years ago, and maybe $850K today. The catch was the $10K in taxes. Still, if you do a present value of those taxes, it would be like adding $150K or so to the price. That is still around half price.

In S.Fla, public school consists of trailers that can hold 25-35 kids and have an in the wall AC unit. For $8,000 you can send you kid to a decent elementary school and $13,000 gets a decent high school. A regular white collar middle of the road job in Buffalo can fetch $50-65K, while in Miami it is probably $60-85K. NY State takes it's 8% though.

I am probably going to make a move on a solid house in Buffalo over the next 3-6 months as it will probably be prime time to catch rates before they go sky high, and a few more houses should get spit out. A nice 2,000 sq foot house in East Aurora with a few acres is the same price as a 1,000 sq foot cookie cutter condo down in Miami. My old place down there went from $250K to $170K in the past 20 months.

Also, the most you are in your car in Buffalo is usually 30 minutes. The same trip on 95 would take 90 minutes at it's worst. That's 2 hours a day and $1500 in gas you save. There is no nude sunbathing come January in Buffalo though. Or Hispanics for that matter outside of Ferry + Niagara. If I want some goat or tripe, it's west side up here.

No, your making way too much sense. Dont you know that everybody that lives in WNY are miserable & that the only reason we stay here is because we have no other options? :)

My opinion on the whole tax thing is they are high here, but the low housing market more then offsets it. I bought my recent house 2yrs ago, 2,500 sq feet, 4 bedrooms, finished basement, inground pool with attached jacuzzi, nice back yard in a semi new developement in lancaster(was built in 1995) for $210K. Are the taxes high? I pay 5K per year with the star, but I will tell you one thing, put my house in NYC/Boston/Virginia/DC area/Miami/Atlanta etc... & my house would probably cost me anywhere from $750K to 1.25 mill depending on what market. I still think buying a house in buffalo is a pretty good bang for your buck even with the high taxes. Oh yeah, one more thing, when alot of the housing markets values around the country are crashing down due to all the subprime stuff that is going on, I actually read that the WNY housing market over the last year has been up as whole 13%.

No, your making way too much sense. Dont you know that everybody that lives in WNY are miserable & that the only reason we stay here is because we have no other options? :)

My opinion on the whole tax thing is they are high here, but the low housing market more then offsets it. I bought my recent house 2yrs ago, 2,500 sq feet, 4 bedrooms, finished basement, inground pool with attached jacuzzi, nice back yard in a semi new developement in lancaster(was built in 1995) for $210K. Are the taxes high? I pay 5K per year with the star, but I will tell you one thing, put my house in NYC/Boston/Virginia/DC area/Miami/Atlanta etc... & my house would probably cost me anywhere from $750K to 1.25 mill depending on what market. I still think buying a house in buffalo is a pretty good bang for your buck even with the high taxes. Oh yeah, one more thing, when alot of the housing markets values around the country are crashing down due to all the subprime stuff that is going on, I actually read that the WNY housing market over the last year has been up as whole 13%.

Exactly.

Even here in the part of Illinois I live, housing is reasonable... Schools do suck though.

People just hate paying taxes, they want everything for free... I don't know what it is about some people?

Exactly.

Even here in the part of Illinois I live, housing is reasonable... Schools do suck though.

People just hate paying taxes, they want everything for free... I don't know what it is about some people?

I think that is an excellent point. There is just something about paying taxes that rub people the wrong way. They justify paying 1 million for a 1100 sq foot ranch in California or Miami & live like a bunch of animals right on top of each other. But hey, at least they are not paying high taxes I guess