NCAA Tourney discussion thread

KD in CA

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[sarcasmON]

Wow, I sure hope Carolina learns how to play with teams that want to slow down the tempo.

[sarcasmOFF]

Here's the scene in the Wazzou locker room at halftime:

"Alright, guys, we've controlled the tempo and have them playing the pace of game we want. Hansbrough only has two points and our big man is dominating him inside. Good work."

"But coach, we're down 14." :unsure:

Davidson rocks! What a great story. Kansas likely eats their lunch tomorrow, but this has been an unbelievable run.

Who do folks like in the NC-Louisville game tonight? These are probably the two hottest teams in the tournament and it's as marquis a matchup as CBS and the NCAA could want. Williams v. Pitino, two blueblood programs, the player of the year -- it's almost a shame this isn't a Final Four or Championship game. Should be entertaining as hell.

Davidson rocks! What a great story. Kansas likely eats their lunch tomorrow, but this has been an unbelievable run.

Who do folks like in the NC-Louisville game tonight? These are probably the two hottest teams in the tournament and it's as marquis a matchup as CBS and the NCAA could want. Williams v. Pitino, two blueblood programs, the player of the year -- it's almost a shame this isn't a Final Four or Championship game. Should be entertaining as hell.

I for one am hoping for Davidson and Louisville to make the final four and ruin everyone's brackets.

CBS will be ok with any combonation of UNC/Kansas/UCLA.

I got L'ville in my bracket; anytime you got the better defense & coach you have a puncher's chance. Can't turn the ball over 20 times though.

Better coach? If anything, they're on the same level.

Pitino: 521-190 (73%), 1 NCAA Championship, 5 Final Fours.

Williams: 559-133 (81%), 1 NCAA Championship, 5 Final Fours, never lost a 1st round NCAA tourney game, and has taken team to tournament 19 consecutive years.

Should be a great game.

Better coach? If anything, they're on the same level.

Pitino: 521-190 (73%), 1 NCAA Championship, 5 Final Fours.

Williams: 559-133 (81%), 1 NCAA Championship, 5 Final Fours, never lost a 1st round NCAA tourney game, and has taken team to tournament 19 consecutive years.

Should be a great game.

Well Williams is a better recruiter. To be fair, recruiting is 90%+ of college coaching, so that alone makes him a fine coach.

As for the actual "coaching" part though, he's on par with Boeheim; not really on Pitino's level.

Well Williams is a better recruiter. To be fair, recruiting is 90%+ of college coaching, so that alone makes him a fine coach.

As for the actual "coaching" part though, he's on par with Boeheim; not really on Pitino's level.

WOW! Roy Williams is a FAR better coach than Jimmy B, and at least on par with Pitino. His teams, irrespective of the talent, are far more adaptable and able to play various styles. I love watching a Pitino team play, but his teams play ONE WAY. I consider Roy close to Dean Smith, as a coach.

Recruiting may have been 90% (let's say 80%") of college ball, a few years ago. But, with the major programs losing their best players by year #2, coaching has become more important. College basketball is a coaches' game, IMO. And it gets to be more about coaching all the time.

Quick Edit: With that said, Louisville certainly has a puncher's chance and I wouldn't count them out. I think both of these teams would beat UCLA.

WOW! Roy Williams is a FAR better coach than Jimmy B, and at least on par with Pitino. His teams, irrespective of the talent, are far more adaptable and able to play various styles. I love watching a Pitino team play, but his teams play ONE WAY. I consider Roy close to Dean Smith, as a coach.

Recruiting may have been 90% (let's say 80%") of college ball, a few years ago. But, with the major programs losing their best players by year #2, coaching has become more important. College basketball is a coaches' game, IMO. And it gets to be more about coaching all the time.

Quick Edit: With that said, Louisville certainly has a puncher's chance and I wouldn't count them out. I think both of these teams would beat UCLA.

You're just wrong, imo. Pitino likes to press & shoot 3's, just like Roy's teams always run the floor, like Howland likes halfcourt defense, like Boeheim likes zone. Coaches are going to have their styles that they prefer; but if you think Williams is better at adapting & making adjustments during a game, I don't know what to tell you.

While it is easy to to scoff at Boeheim in comparison off of the most recent season, that was not the case when John Wallace and 4 ordinary teammates beat a line-up of all-NBA players led by Paul Pierce in front of a pro-Jayhawk crowd in Denver.

But again, recruiting >>> everything else, in the long run. Ask Illinois fans to compare Bill Self to Lon Kruger or Bruce Weber....every one of them will tell you Self isn't half the coach of the other two, but more importantly his recruiting is great.

Boeheim has done his best coaching jobs with the teams that lacked the most talent, IMO. Way back when, when the Orange had GREAT talent, he was an abysmal coach, IMO. His players rarely delivered on their talent, in the NBA. They came out of 'Cuse without the basic skills a coach should be teaching at the college level. His coaching back then reminded me of the kind of non-coaching Steve Fisher did at Michigan. Even die-hard 'Cuse grads who attended back in the days of Pearl Washington have told me that Jimmy's idea of coaching back then was rolling the balls onto the court.

OTOH, I think he has done a better job since he has been forced to make-do with lesser athletes. I am now a Boeheim convert, of sorts. I want to see what he can do with this young talented team, the next couple of years.

As for Williams, we will just disagree. I think Roy has shown (at Kansas and NC) that his teams can play at different tempos...they don't typically live and die by the 3 and they, almost always can run AND have well constructed half-court offenses.

Quick Edit: Coaching great talent can be as big of a challenge as coaching eager marginally-talented players. Getting guys, who have always been the star (and generally left to play a streer game) to play together, play D...and sacrifice their personal stats for the good of the team, is NOT easy.

To imply that Roy has won at this clip simply because he recruits well is an insult. Give Williams and Pitino the same roster and play each other 10 times -- I doubt either coach wins more than 6.

You are correct, BuffOrange, that recruiting is huge in college b-ball (as well as football), but a poor coach (Matt Doherty) takes great talent to the NIT, while a great coach leads the same talent to the national title.

Think Ohio State fans are "really" happy with Thad Motta? Now there's a coach who can recruit like the dickens and can't coach his way out of a paper bag.

Boeheim has done his best coaching jobs with the teams that lacked the most talent, IMO. Way back when, when the Orange had GREAT talent, he was an abysmal coach, IMO. His players rarely delivered on their talent, in the NBA. They came out of 'Cuse without the basic skills a coach should be teaching at the college level. His coaching back then reminded me of the kind of non-coaching Steve Fisher did at Michigan. Even die-hard 'Cuse grads who attended back in the days of Pearl Washington have told me that Jimmy's idea of coaching back then was rolling the balls onto the court.

OTOH, I think he has done a better job since he has been forced to make-do with lesser athletes. I am now a Boeheim convert, of sorts. I want to see what he can do with this young talented team, the next couple of years.

There's no question Cuse underachieved in the tourney from 86-91 (they were a 2 or 3 seed every year). The problem IMO, was that he stopped getting stud players after that and the players who previously went to Cuse/G'town started going to Connecticut (meanwhile it took Calhoun about a decade to get over the Elite 8 hump). I mean, it's a one and done format and you can take every great coach ever and point to a 5-6 year sample where they had good players and bombed in the Big Dance. But if you keep getting players over a 10-20 year period, math and probability will usually eventually lead to a ring or two.

As for the Coleman/Owens era - I never understood how them not playing as well under others was a big negative. Besides it being hard to be a star in the NBA, not many coaches have churned out a lots of stars at the next level - not coach K - D. Smith I guess - (and both of his rings were aided by bonehead plays by their opponents).

Anyway, I'll stop sounding like a JB apologist because I'm totally not.

Terrific game by both teams (but, neither's best effort).

The announcers were really slobbering all over the Tar Heels, that's for sure. I'm a NC fan and even I got sick of it.

Congrats to the Tar Heels and Bruins. Two down and two to go. Best thing about the Carolina game was that Louisville played well. There should be no excuses, as the officiating was even-handed at best, and it could be argued Louisville received a number of questionable calls. Anyone who disputes why Hansbrough is the player of the year should have learned a lesson tonight.

We're on the cusp of an unprecedented Final Four, if both Kansas and Memphis can hold serve tomorrow. Looking forward to another great day of college basketball.

There's no question Cuse underachieved in the tourney from 86-91 (they were a 2 or 3 seed every year). The problem IMO, was that he stopped getting stud players after that and the players who previously went to Cuse/G'town started going to Connecticut (meanwhile it took Calhoun about a decade to get over the Elite 8 hump). I mean, it's a one and done format and you can take every great coach ever and point to a 5-6 year sample where they had good players and bombed in the Big Dance. But if you keep getting players over a 10-20 year period, math and probability will usually eventually lead to a ring or two.

As for the Coleman/Owens era - I never understood how them not playing as well under others was a big negative. Besides it being hard to be a star in the NBA, not many coaches have churned out a lots of stars at the next level - not coach K - D. Smith I guess - (and both of his rings were aided by bonehead plays by their opponents).

Anyway, I'll stop sounding like a JB apologist because I'm totally not.

I was waiting for a Dean Smith jab, and you finally (and predictably) let one slip. I've heard this crap for years, that Dean Smith somehow underachieved because his teams were stacked and he "only" won two championships (both ending in unusual circumstances). The bottom line is that it takes a lot of factors to fall into play to win the title, and it can easily be shown that several of Smith's teams were dealt unfair blows prior to the tournament (injuries to key players).

I'd also like for someone to let me know how successful the professional playing careers of the 1993 Tar Heel squad have turned out.

I was waiting for a Dean Smith jab, and you finally (and predictably) let one slip. I've heard this crap for years, that Dean Smith somehow underachieved because his teams were stacked and he "only" won two championships (both ending in unusual circumstances). The bottom line is that it takes a lot of factors to fall into play to win the title, and it can easily be shown that several of Smith's teams were dealt unfair blows prior to the tournament (injuries to key players).

I'd also like for someone to let me know how successful the professional playing careers of the 1993 Tar Heel squad have turned out.

That was clearly (or so I thought) the gist of my post.