WR Devin Thomas and TE Kellen Davis

Astrobot

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787
There ain't many 6'4 - 6'6 WR's who can play people. We definitely need a size upgrade but if the better reciever is ONLY 6'2 and not 6'5, I'm going with the guy who is 6'2. I'd feel better about Thomas if he did it for more than one year but he is only 21 and has a lot of upside. He's on my radar........ ;)

Malcom Kelly is 6' 4" and he does stand out among the WR's available in this years draft. :cry:

Malcom Kelly is 6' 4" and he does stand out among the WR's available in this years draft. :thumbsup:

we will see what he runs- if he runs. I like both Devin Thomas and Kellen Davis. It does seem like the Bills are not interested in Malcolm Kelly

Draft Scout has Devin Thomas as the #1 ranked WR and has him rising up draft boards. For the second time Kokbills has me changing my mind as to who I am guessing the Bills draft. Right now I agree- Devin Thomas is my guess for the pick- at 11

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=67905

Thomas looked very smooth at the combine, but he plays like Lee Evans in pads. We need a guy to catch the ball between the hash marks and still have the ability to break one. Malcolm Kelly is that guy. The other big thing about Kelly is that he has a pushbutton gear to make quick separation in getting open. Much like a corner has good closing speed, you can throw to Kelly before a break or with little separation, and he is going to make that move with the ball in the air.

I understand why scouts are buzzing about Thomas at the combine, but I will be disappointed if Kelly isn't a Bill.

Draft Scout has Devin Thomas as the #1 ranked WR and has him rising up draft boards. For the second time Kokbills has me changing my mind as to who I am guessing the Bills draft. Right now I agree- Devin Thomas is my guess for the pick- at 11

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=67905

You know Pete, it's just a gut feeling...But I think we've seen this before from Our beloved Organization...I just get the feeling OBD is buzzing with Devin Thomas talk...Too many things pointing in that direction for it to be all coincidence IMHO...We'll see though...Still a while to go... :thumbsup:

You know Pete, it's just a gut feeling...But I think we've seen this before from Our beloved Organization...I just get the feeling OBD is buzzing with Devin Thomas talk...Too many things pointing in that direction for it to be all coincidence IMHO...We'll see though...Still a while to go... :thumbsup:

very perceptive. It seems like the Vikes are all over Devin Thomas too. They pick at 17 so we have to be careful about trading down if Thomas is our guy. The Bears most likely will go WR too at 14 after losing Berrian. Quick, without looking who do the Bears have for WRs now? This all leads me to believe we stay at 11 and draft Thomas. Devin had a great year and blew up at the combine.

Devin Thomas' highlights http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHbkz0IMIeA

At 2:10 I became very impressed. He looks like a much better prospect then Kelly and if he can be gotten later in the first then I'd grab him up.

What impresses you? Why do you think he is better than Kelly?

After watching that entire clip, it looks as if 10% of his catches were inside the hashes. How is that going to give us anything new? If you draft him as a replacement for Lee Evans and trade for a real #1 receiver, I might think about it. Kelly goes anywhere and everywhere to catch a ball. Even though he has had a nagging injury, he is still going to be be much more physical as well.

We'll see.

Do we really need another WR around the 6' area or smaller? I am hoping that they can draft a WR similar in size to Plaxico.

6'2 is big enough, especially given that he's carrying 215 pounds on that frame. Braylon Edwards has similar size, as does Fitzgerald. Finding a Burress is not an every year type thing, with 6'5 receivers with speed very rare.

Huge Michigan State fan.

If we get a trade down? Then most certainly. He's middle height for a WR (6'2"), has great hands and can get open, but to me he's another speedster. We have Roscoe and Lee who can go deep and burn defenses, but I want a tough, physical #2 who can go over the middle and make plays. My problem is I want a well accustommed #2 if he's going to be coming out of college. Devin played very little his sophomore year, if he'd stuck around another year, I'd say a definite top 20 pick, no contest.

I'm not saying that he isn't the guy, he CAN go over the middle, but he's better suited to burn. I'd rather have a healthy Sweed or Kelly at 11. IF we trade down? By all means, should be a great pick up.

The knock on Thomas is he drops some balls, at least that's Mayock's issue with him. He's not got 3-4 years as a regular and/or starter at Michigan State, but not all players blossom in college. I'm just not a fan of these players who seem to become great after the season. I would hope the braintrust doesn't fall in love with him based on the combine and individual workouts. The tape on him in a segment Mayock showed showed he took a bad route a few times, but had the ability to get better with good coaching.

If we take a wide out in the first round, it does seem that it would be best to trade down and take one later in round one and pick up the extra pick.

There appear to be questions about this year's wr class and whether any of them even merit a first round grade. The other thing is that there does not appear that any one of the top receivers is vastly superior than anyone else in that group.

There was a lot of buzz about Sweed, but there are also a lot of questions about his health.

There also has been a lot of buzz about Malcom Kelley, but I heard him on Sirius the other day try to explain why did not participate in the OU pro day and it did not sound particularly convincing. He is now scheduled for April 9th (I believe) so we will see how he does.

The kid out of Indiana (Hardy?) is supposed to be a beast, but also is another Travis Henry when it comes to birth control as I recall.

The kid from UCLA is supposed to be great, but he is basically what we already have (small and fast).

In any event, I could see the Bills trading down from 11 or picking the best player available at another position with the 11th pick.

I think you are mistaken, I think you are thinking of Darren McFadden. His numbers for kids are right up there with Henry. Hardy had an assault charge a number of years ago, but that was it.

Thomas looked very smooth at the combine, but he plays like Lee Evans in pads. We need a guy to catch the ball between the hash marks and still have the ability to break one. Malcolm Kelly is that guy. The other big thing about Kelly is that he has a pushbutton gear to make quick separation in getting open. Much like a corner has good closing speed, you can throw to Kelly before a break or with little separation, and he is going to make that move with the ball in the air.

I understand why scouts are buzzing about Thomas at the combine, but I will be disappointed if Kelly isn't a Bill.

I semi-agree. Thomas is a great prospect, but not the big, physical receiver we are looking for.

I'm not saying Kelly is for sure the guy, but I just don't think Thomas fits the style we are looking for.

Based on all the clips I have seen, it looks to me like Devin Thomas has much better hands than Kelly. He also catches everything with his hands. Kelly catches way too many for me with his body, and not cleanly. They both look pretty good though and no one on earth knows for sure which of the top 4-5 will be better pros. With Sweed, kelly and Thomas and maybe more all about equal, a trade down looks like the way to go. Now we need a TE, WR and CB and maybe another DT. If we can pick up an extra late 2, we should. I would also very much like to sign James at CB so CB isn't a must, and we can pull the trigger on a top TE prospect.

both second round guys.

I think Thomas is a 1st Round guy (more likely at pick 21 to Redskins then pick 11 to the Bills) as he brings a similar size to D'wayne Bowe but more speed and Davis is a Round 3 guy. As while his measurables are among the best at his position he doesn't always play to them. Yet if go TE in Round 2 rather have a guy like Martin Rucker or Dustin Keller.

The good thing is...even with differing opinions, at least we know there are going to be enough WRs and TEs this year to help us out, even if you need to wait a year or two for development. There are some solid corners as well. I think this is why you didn't see front office panic this week.

I haven't been to the draft in years, but this year looks like a fun one to check out.

If we take a wide out in the first round, it does seem that it would be best to trade down and take one later in round one and pick up the extra pick.

There appear to be questions about this year's wr class and whether any of them even merit a first round grade. The other thing is that there does not appear that any one of the top receivers is vastly superior than anyone else in that group.

There was a lot of buzz about Sweed, but there are also a lot of questions about his health.

There also has been a lot of buzz about Malcom Kelley, but I heard him on Sirius the other day try to explain why did not participate in the OU pro day and it did not sound particularly convincing. He is now scheduled for April 9th (I believe) so we will see how he does.

The kid out of Indiana (Hardy?) is supposed to be a beast, but also is another Travis Henry when it comes to birth control as I recall.

The kid from UCLA is supposed to be great, but he is basically what we already have (small and fast).

In any event, I could see the Bills trading down from 11 or picking the best player available at another position with the 11th pick.

so which team will be trading up for these crappy WRs that we don't want?

if not WRs, what and who will they be willing to mortgage the bank to move up for?

Based on all the clips I have seen, it looks to me like Devin Thomas has much better hands than Kelly. He also catches everything with his hands. Kelly catches way too many for me with his body, and not cleanly. They both look pretty good though and no one on earth knows for sure which of the top 4-5 will be better pros. With Sweed, kelly and Thomas and maybe more all about equal, a trade down looks like the way to go. Now we need a TE, WR and CB and maybe another DT. If we can pick up an extra late 2, we should. I would also very much like to sign James at CB so CB isn't a must, and we can pull the trigger on a top TE prospect.

Thank you, that is what impressed me the most. His hands are MUCH better then Kelly's from what I've seen. Sorry Dwight I just don't think Kelly is beetter then Thomas based on what I've seen.

I completely agree with you on this point Kelly, In fact I really don't see why people are in love with Kelly. Just because he's tall maybe? I don't know but Thomas looks like the real deal to me. Kelly on the other hand looks good but not #11 good.

so which team will be trading up for these crappy WRs that we don't want?

if not WRs, what and who will they be willing to mortgage the bank to move up for?

Who said they would be trading up to take a WR?