A reason to draft Alan Branch or Okoye at #12

There is no doubt that we need a LB and a RB more than we need a DT. But, IMO, there is little or no doubt that if our defensive front four is crappy, decent, good, or great, our entire defense is going to be commensurately crappy, decent, good or great. Branch or Okoye could make them good or perhaps great. Willis and Poz, if the front four are crappy or decent, cannot make the defense good or great.

Draft Branch at #12. Trade our #2 for Turner unless we love one of the remaining LBs in round two.

Yes, I know Branch has question marks. They all have question marks. If our scouts think he is a character risk then I trust their judgment and wouldn't draft him myself. I doubt they do, however.

The more i hear about Branch the less i hope we pick him. We have 5 DT's plus hargrove who can play it too, we don't need 6 and another first round pick.

According to scouts : Branch takes plays off, is out of shape, isnt a hard worker and got beat up by fromer bills d line coach tim krumie.

To me he sounds alot like Brodrick Bunker from last year. he did alot for the Eagles last year. he has already been called a bust and a wasted draft pick.

no thanks

There is no doubt that we need a LB and a RB more than we need a DT. But, IMO, there is little or no doubt that if our defensive front four is crappy, decent, good, or great, our entire defense is going to be commensurately crappy, decent, good or great. Branch or Okoye could make them good or perhaps great. Willis and Poz, if the front four are crappy or decent, cannot make the defense good or great.

Draft Branch at #12. Trade our #2 for Turner unless we love one of the remaining LBs in round two.

Yes, I know Branch has question marks. They all have question marks. If our scouts think he is a character risk then I trust their judgment and wouldn't draft him myself. I doubt they do, however.

The Bills thought enough of McCargo to move up and grab him in the 1st round last year. They thought enough of Williams to move him into the starting spot early last season and praise him endlessly. They thought enough of Walker to trade for him and move Spikes out (creating a hole in the process) this offseason. While I agree with the basic premise that your D goes as your DL goes you still need playmakers behind them. The Bills addressed the DT spot in the last two offseasons, I'm willing to see what they are capable of doing before diving head in with another DT with the #12 pick, particularly when the Bills are desperate for LB help. Ellison did a pretty good job when he got the opportunity last year but I don't feel secure with him penciled in as one of the starters just yet which means, imo, we need two LBs, not just one.

I wouldn't be upset with Branch or Okoye but they're not my first choices.

They need to give Mcargo a chance when healthy to see if he can be an elite lineman. If that is the case the d-line is solid. Hargrove, Williams, Walker, and Tripplett will spelll each other to make a cohesive unit. If Mcargo does not pan out you still have three guys that can play d-tackle.

The pick needs to be spent on an impact position where the Bills don't have competent starters. So either LB, RB, or WR2. Those are the only positions needy enough for the first pick.

The more i hear about Branch the less i hope we pick him. We have 5 DT's plus hargrove who can play it too, we don't need 6 and another first round pick.

According to scouts : Branch takes plays off, is out of shape, isnt a hard worker and got beat up by fromer bills d line coach tim krumie.

To me he sounds alot like Brodrick Bunker from last year. he did alot for the Eagles last year. he has already been called a bust and a wasted draft pick.

no thanks

I also read an interview with Branch where he talks about how he likes to watch cartoons all day, and when things get stressful, he likes to (no kidding) draw in coloring books using crayons. :thumbsup:

I agree. If we do not trade up for Peterson and he and Willis are gone at 12, I say take Branch. We do have several DT's, but none of them are huge monster, spaceeaters in the middle. To be successful we need to build from the lines going back. Taking Branch, and having him rotate with McCargo, Walker, Williams and Tripplet is fine with me. The middle of our defense was the worst in the league last year bar none. Adding Branch with Darwin Walker does a lot to fix that. Once your lines are set, everything else will fall into place.

i agree, to an extent. But, if he's there, I'd take Okoye over Branch. But, what the hell do I know.

The Bills thought enough of McCargo to move up and grab him in the 1st round last year. They thought enough of Williams to move him into the starting spot early last season and praise him endlessly. They thought enough of Walker to trade for him and move Spikes out (creating a hole in the process) this offseason. While I agree with the basic premise that your D goes as your DL goes you still need playmakers behind them. The Bills addressed the DT spot in the last two offseasons, I'm willing to see what they are capable of doing before diving head in with another DT with the #12 pick, particularly when the Bills are desperate for LB help. Ellison did a pretty good job when he got the opportunity last year but I don't feel secure with him penciled in as one of the starters just yet which means, imo, we need two LBs, not just one.

I wouldn't be upset with Branch or Okoye but they're not my first choices.

You may be right, but there are a lot of ways to look at it, and I'm leaning toward the Branch idea.

First, look at what happened to the Bears defense when Tommie Harris went out. Granted, we cannot just assume Branch will be as good or anywhere near Harris but they have similar collegiate careers. And the Bears have two great LBs.

Second: Which would I think gives me the best result? 1] Patrick Willis fighting through a block 2-3 yards into the defensive backfield to get at a RB running full speed into a decent sized hole, or, 1] a guy like Keith Ellison running after a RB who is bottled up near the LOS because the line is getting little push (Just think of the Bills running game the last few years).

Third, Kyle Williams was a pleasant surprise. Kyle Williams was not a good player. He's a decent #4 DT with a chance at being a little better than decent. McCargo, whom I like, hasn't really played. If we had Branch with McCargo to give him a rest and Williams as insurance and #5, we would be stacked.

Fourth, there are LBs that are a little undersized who are not sought out by 80% of the teams but can play well in the Cover 2. There are CBs without blazing speed or shutdown man to man coverage abilities that can play well in the Cover 2. There are also undersized DTs that can play well in the Cover 2 but we already have 2-3 of those guys. We do not have a run stuffer.

I would not be completely against Willis, although I am not sold on him. I am not against Peterson at all, and even could live with Marshawn Lynch. We need a lot of help and all of those guys have some talent. I can also live with going into the season with our four DTs. I just think that a very good and potentially great DT that can stop the run makes the biggest difference in team defense than any singular player available.

We have 5 DT's on the roster and while a couple still have some upside, RIGHT NOW none of em' are very good. I'd have no prblem if we took Okoye or Branch if Marv or Modrak thought one of them was the best pick for us.

I also read an interview with Branch where he talks about how he likes to watch cartoons all day, and when things get stressful, he likes to (no kidding) draw in coloring books using crayons. :thumbsup:

You would have hated Rosie Greer than too. He knitted.

I agree with most of what you said except trading for Turner. Yet I don't think Okoye would fall past the Dolpins at pick 9 and Branch could be taken with the 49ers at pick 11. That said if Branch fell to pick 12 I'd welcome him as a Buffalo Bill as think he could be a starting NT that we currently lak on the current roster. I would then take Keeny Irons in Round 2 and look to take a MLB like David Harris and/or Buster Davis with our first Round 3 selection or if Justin Durant is still available shift Angelo Crowell to MLB.

no thanks

To be fair, those criticisms are a lot closer to what they said about Haloti Ngata last year than Bunkley and Ngata ended up having a pretty good year.

No way we should take Branch, Carriker, or Okoye with 12. The addition of Darwin Walker is huge and fits our system perfectly. McCargo will be healthy this year and Kyle Williams can rotate in. If Peterson is gone at 12 then Bills should take Willis. Leon Hall is another option who lacks top end speed but is a great fit for the Tampa 2 we run.

Agree completely. I'd wager that the great majority of people who are knocking him have never seen him play and many of the rest have only seen him once or twice. I'd submit he is just what this team needs and can make a bigger difference than any of the other defensive players in the draft considering our current roster makeup. Solid post.

Its imperative that we give McCargo a chance since we gave up a lot to retireve him. D. Walker will instantly invigorate our line. Your premise is reaching too much. We have way too many holes to concentrate on :thumbsup: You are underestimating the importance of a good LB core.

Its imperative that we give McCargo a chance since we gave up a lot to retireve him. D. Walker will instantly invigorate our line. Your premise is reaching too much. We have way too many holes to concentrate on :thumbsup: You are underestimating the importance of a good LB core.

Tommie Harris.

I agree with the philosophy of the DTs will determine how good/bad the D performs(give or take). I tend to think however that the coaching staff will take a wait & see approach. McCargo & Williams will be second year guys & we now have (hopefully) another strong rotation player in Walker. With such HUGE holes at RB & LB, it would be quite a commitment to spend even more resources on the DL.

If they do go DT in the 1st, I can't see them going after Branch. You mentioned Tommie Harris.....& I agree it would be great for our D to have a similar player. Okoye is a lot closer to Harris.....& for that matter, so is McCargo. Harris(like Sapp) is listed at 300lbs. Branch is being spoken of as the possible NT in a 3-4 D.....he does not seem a good enough fit for the Tampa-2.

Needless to say, it would be great if McCargo develops into our Harris.

Tommie Harris.

Good ball player. I think he hit close to 300 for his career. Played infield and outfield, if I'm not mistaken. I know he spent his early years with the Dodgers, then he bounced around from team-to-team for awhile.

Oh...you weren't talking about Tommy Davis? My bad,

No way we should take Branch, Carriker, or Okoye with 12. The addition of Darwin Walker is huge and fits our system perfectly. McCargo will be healthy this year and Kyle Williams can rotate in. If Peterson is gone at 12 then Bills should take Willis. Leon Hall is another option who lacks top end speed but is a great fit for the Tampa 2 we run.

With the many holes we still have to fill on our team, I do not think we would get nearly enough big plays from Leon Hall to justify making a cornerback our first pick at 12. LB, DL, RB if we make at Peterson our first pick.

Out of our 8 picks, we need to get very solid contributions from at least 6 or 7. And at least 4 of these picks need to have star potential. That kind of production this year with continued improvement from the rest of the team will put us right in the thick of the playoff race. Not on the fringes like last year, but controlling our own destiny when it gets cold out.