Michael Turner - ESPN INSIDER

jri111

Here is the link and the "story": http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors

Michael Turner

Chargers Titans

Bills?

Jets?

Cowboys? Turner staying put

<Apr. 14> The trade possibilities involving Turner may have played themselves out, ESPN.com's John Clayton reports. The restricted free-agent met with the Bills and Titans, two teams definitely interested in him for this year. The problem is the price tag.

The Chargers might be willing to take less than the first and the third, but they definitely want a first-round pick, either this year or next year.

The Bills and Titans seemed to be reluctant meet that asking price. The option remains open for another week, but don?t hold your breath. Turner is too valuable to give up for less than a first-rounder. He will leave the team after 2007 in free agency, but the Chargers should get at least a fourh-round compensatory pick in return.

_________

What's funny is John Clayton has practically been the ONLY one reporting right from the beginning that AJ and the Chargers were unwilling to budge for less then a first rounder. At first I dismissed this claim. I though there was NO WAY AJ could expect to get that much in return for back-up running back and that he was merely playing hard-ball (which he still may just be doing). But with this report and earilier this week Chris Mortenson saying on his weekly chat that the Bills have already offered a 2nd and SD refused, maybe neddle-d*ck has been right all along?! Maybe AJ really asking for "so much" in return that it wouldn't be feasible for any team to get him.

I personally find this amazing. He would rather give up a second round pick (and most likely even a second and ANOTHER pick too) and have a "great" back-up running back this year then lose Turner for nothing after next year?! It doesn't make sense to me, but my confidence in logic is starting to waver.

In the end I still think a draft day trade gets done with either the Titans or the Bills. And in the end I aslo expect it to be a muli-pick deal including some combination of this year's second and either a later round pick in this year's draft (Baltimore's third?) or a conditional pick next year. To me that makes sense for both teams and I think AJ will have ot come down off his stoop eventually and realize the logic and smarts in it. If not, then he'll have Turner for another year, becuase neither the Bills nor the Titans are going to offer their first picks as compensation for Turner.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the link and the "story": http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors

Michael Turner

Chargers Titans

Bills?

Jets?

<Apr. 14> The trade possibilities involving Turner may have played themselves out, ESPN.com's John Clayton reports. The restricted free-agent met with the Bills and Titans, two teams definitely interested in him for this year. The problem is the price tag.

The Chargers might be willing to take less than the first and the third, but they definitely want a first-round pick, either this year or next year.

The Bills and Titans seemed to be reluctant meet that asking price. The option remains open for another week, but don?t hold your breath. Turner is too valuable to give up for less than a first-rounder. He will leave the team after 2007 in free agency, but the Chargers should get at least a fourh-round compensatory pick in return.

_________

What's funny is John Clayton has practically been the ONLY one reporting right from the beginning that AJ and the Chargers were unwilling to budge for less then a first rounder. At first I dismissed this claim. I though there was NO WAY AJ could expect to get that much in return for back-up running back and that he was merely playing hard-ball (which he still may just be doing). But with this report and earilier this week Chris Mortenson saying on his weekly chat that the Bills have already offered a 2nd and SD refused, maybe neddle-d*ck has been right all along?! Maybe AJ really asking for "so much" in return that it wouldn't be feasible for any team to get him.

I personally find this amazing. He would rather give up a second round pick (and most likely even a second and ANOTHER pick too) and have a "great" back-up running back this year then lose Turner for nothing after next year?! It doesn't make sense to me, but my confidence in logic is starting to waver.

In the end I still think a draft day trade gets done with either the Titans or the Bills. And in the end I aslo expect it to be a muli-pick deal including some combination of this year's second and either a later round pick in this year's draft (Baltimore's third?) or a conditional pick next year. To me that makes sense for both teams and I think AJ will have ot come down off his stoop eventually and realize the logic and smarts in it. If not, then he'll have Turner for another year, becuase neither the Bills nor the Titans are going to offer their first picks as compensation for Turner.

AJ has lost all his marbles :devil: I personally think that turner only merits a 3rd, a 2nd is too risky!

AJ has lost all his marbles :devil: I personally think that turner only merits a 3rd, a 2nd is too risky!
I am not a big fan of trading for Turner. That said I would give a #2 for him & the Ravens #3 next year (conditional) on him gaining 1400 yards. I would increase it to a #1 next year if he gains 2000 yards, nothing next year if he fails to break 1400.

I agree Turner stays in San Diego.

The Market for slightly used running backs is very well established. It's not a number a # 1.

Michael Turner is a very good running back but he has not proven that he is a top ten running back.

Next year he is a year older. The market value of a contract that he will be able to negotiate will be substantially

lower than it is today.

It makes perfect sense given the Chargers' status as a Super Bowl contender. Should Ladainian Tomlinson be injured, Turner has proven that he can be very effective within their system. They're not rebuilding and certainly don't *need* the draft pick. Unless they know that they can draft an immediate impact player with the pick received, it makes more sense for AJ Smith to hang onto Turner for 2007, even if it means losing him for no compensation a year from now. Turner simply provides more value to that particular team than would a 2nd round pick.

On the other hand, for a team like the Bills, he would seem to be a poor value given that a RB could easily be selected in R2 or 3 that will immediately improve this team. Now maybe we can argue that Pittman, Irons or whoever isn't as good as Turner, but there's little question that the 600-800 yards they'll likely provide this upcoming season would make the Bills a MUCH better team than they currently are. In other words, the Bills (and others in need of a RB) don't necessarily need Turner in order to signficantly upgrade their team.

This is why he'll remain a Charger. He actually IS worth a 1st to them, yet every team actually needing a RB could reasonably expect to make a significant upgrade at the position in the upcoming draft with even a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Its not going to happen unless someone, including the Chargers, gets desperate for some reason.

I've moved on. Turner is not worth this years first (see P. Willis) or next years first (see another potential superstar). You don't give up first round picks on a position that's the most replacable in the league. You especially don't give first round picks for players who are backups at a position that's the most replacable in the league. Not gonna happen, just move on.

I've moved on. Turner is not worth this years first (see P. Willis) or next years first (see another potential superstar). You don't give up first round picks on a position that's the most replacable in the league. You especially don't give first round picks for players who are backups at a position that's the most replacable in the league. Not gonna happen, just move on.

You especially don't give up a 1st for a back that has gotten most of his yards in garbage time after LD has already destroyed the defense. Smith can keep him or set a realistic price.

You especially don't give up a 1st for a back that has gotten most of his yards in garbage time after LD has already destroyed the defense. Smith can keep him or set a realistic price.

I will cry real tears if Marv send a #1 to SD for this guy. Matter of fact a #2 gives me the heebee geebees too. I really really don't think that anything will happen here unless AJ comes to his senses (or calls off his bluff).

Turner is too valuable to give up for less than a first-rounder. He will leave the team after 2007 in free agency, but the Chargers should get at least a fourh-round compensatory pick in return.

Turner is a good back with lots of potential but I'm not sure how a back up RB with lots of potential warrants a 4th round comp pick when I've seen teams receive much less when solid starters exit via FA.

Turner is a good back with lots of potential but I'm not sure how a back up RB with lots of potential warrants a 4th round comp pick when I've seen teams receive much less when solid starters exit via FA.

If the Chargers don't sign any FAs of their own, the contract Turner will sign pretty much guarantees a 4th round comp pick. The wild card will be if the Bolts do decide to add a FA of their own, which could wipe out the freebie pick.

Considering the contracts we've seen handed out at the position this offseason, its probably not unthinkable that Turner would receive $35-45 million over 6 or 7 years from someone in the next offseason. If he follows that up with even a 1,000-1,200 yard season, I think he could very easily net the Chargers a 4th round compensatory pick in 2009 assuming they sign no outside FAs.

Please stop with the backup crap. Walter Payton would be a backup if he was currently playing on the San Diego Roster.

I am against giving up a first for Turner....UNLESS...we are hell bent on using that pick on Lynch. If we decide Lynch is the correct guy at 12, I would rather give the pick to SD for Turner.

Michael Turner

Chargers Titans

Bills?

Jets?

_________

??

You know, they have a chance to win the Super Bowl this year?.Why diminish your chances to do that for a draft pick who won't be as valuable this year and may never pan out? Sometimes you have to play for today, not tomorrow.

The Market Price is set for a good, young HB seeking Trade and a new long-term Contract...And The Market Price is no where near a 1st Round Pick this Year, next Year, or any Year for that matter...I certainly can understand why AJ would like to have Turner return...But if he's only going to take a 1st Round Pick in a Trade why even bother talking Trade in the 1st place?...It's just WAY over Market value for a HB dating back quite a few Years now...I'm sure there may be exceptions but Marshall Faulk only fetched a 2nd and a 5th...Bettis was Traded with a 3rd and The Rams got a 2nd and a 4th in return...The Bills got two 3rd Round Picks for McGahee...The Bears are moving up 26 spots in the 2nd Round in exchange for Thomas Jones...The Bills got a 3rd Round Pick for Travis Henry...etc, etc...The only exception I can think of off the top of My head is the Curtis Martin Deal in 98...I could be wrong, but it seems to Me a 1st for Turner is WAY out of whack...

Turner will remain a Charger if that's what AJ wants (the 1st Round Pick)...And he'll be a UFA in 2008...No big deal... :D

If we decide Lynch is the correct guy at 12, I would rather give the pick to SD for Turner.

Then we're back to contract value differential. Turner would probably cost $25 million-plus over five years (since Travis Henry got $22.5 million from Denver) vs. $15 million for Lynch. That $10 million difference could fix 2-3 different holes on a team that has many to fill.

Michael Turner

Chargers Titans

Bills?

Jets?

Clayton's an idiot and who knows if he has real info, or is just being used by a SD "insider" to try and influence the trade/deal? One of the things that makes this all so suspicious to me, is his statement, "Chargers should get at least a fourth-round compensatory pick" if Turner leaves as a FA next year. Uhhh...what? What am I missing here? MDH hit the nail on the head, IMO. This makes no sense to me. I thought compensatory picks were based on "balance" of the total of FAs lost and gained, during the off-season. How does the loss of a single back-up RB rate this kind of compensatory value?

I agree Turner will, most likely, be involved in a draft-day trade. I expect that trade to be with the Bills (and would be very happy about it). If the trade doesn't happen, fine, we've lost nothing. I don't understand all of this "move on" bulls#it. If the Bills are interested, why should they either make the deal now or forget it? If and when they can make a deal they're comfortable with, they should make it. If the Bills feel they are likely to make a better deal on draft-day, they should wait until draft-day. What's so complicated about that?