More Rumors

Brand J

Plucked this off of the buffalobills.com messageboard. I hope this story is false, and who is Pauline?!?!

2 new teams interested in Briggs - The Bidding wars begin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to Scout.com Angelo wants more from the Skins and two new teams have made offers

Here's the latest according to Pauline's sources:

Angelo trying to get more out of the Redskins

The trade offer on the table would send Briggs and the Bears' first-round draft pick – No. 31 overall – to Washington in exchange for the Redskins first-rounder at No. 6. Briggs' representative, Drew Rosenhaus, has been running his mouth to anyone who will listen that this is a good move for both teams, but Angelo is not about to let an agent and a disgruntled player force his hand. According to Pauline, Angelo is also asking for linebacker Rocky McIntosh, Washington's second-round selection a year ago, to sweeten the pot.

McIntosh would be an instant replacement for Briggs and the Redskins actually traded up last year to get him, but owner Daniel Snyder has been know to away draft picks like Kleenex.

Bills need to replace Spikes and Fletcher-Baker

Buffalo has been very active in the trade market this offseason, sending tailback Willis McGahee to Baltimore for a slew of draft picks before packaging linebacker Takeo Spikes and quarterback Kelly Holcomb to Philadelphia for defensive tackle Darwin Walker. Linebacker London Fletcher-Baker left for the aforementioned Redskins via free agency, so the Bills have major holes to fill at that position. Pauline has learned that Buffalo is offering their pick in the first round – No. 12 overall – to the Bears for Briggs, although Angelo would have to include another selection in return for that deal to happen.

This potential trade could pick up some steam because Buffalo is coached by former Bears front man Dick Jauron, who Briggs played for as a rookie.

Giants also in need of serious help at linebacker

New York currently has openings at both outside linebacker positions, having cut both LaVar Arrington and Carlos Emmons in the offseason. Antonio Pierce is the only `backer the G-Men have with a legitimate NFL resume, plus their defense was absolutely ravaged by injuries last season. Pauline reports that the Giants have offered their spot in Round 1 – No. 20 overall – to the Bears for the durable Briggs, although this deal would technically have less appeal than the other two according to the draft value chart.

Angelo would probably much rather pick 20th in the first round as opposed to 6th or 12th because of the money involved, but New York will have to offer more for this swap to happen.

Apparently the Bears message board is buzzing over the news and is in favor of sending Briggs here for the #12 straight up... Im tired of hearing about the Bills rumored in all of these trade proposals... keep the draft picks and build from within - no huge money to another team's disgruntled player!!

Plucked this off of the buffalobills.com messageboard. I hope this story is false, and who is Pauline?!?!

2 new teams interested in Briggs - The Bidding wars begin

You know what's strange is there are obvious reasons we might be a destination for Briggs - we need a player at the position; there are Jauron connections - but I haven't heard any substantial rumors at all. If there was any interest, I don't think they'd have been able to keep it this quiet. I don't think he's on the radar.

I'm now expecting to see a series of "news" stories on the TBD front page tomorrow discussing the Bills' reported interested in trading for Briggs.

Briggs is disgruntled in a business sense.. I think anyone who wants to cash in would take his stance.. I think if he came here, signed a nice deal he would be happy to help the Bills become a Super Bowl contender in the future. I like his play, and I like trade. If the front office feels he is the right fit, I am all for it, although I would like a 4th rounder or something along those lines coming our way. We need all the draft picks we can get!

Assuming that such a deal is contingent on us getting a long term deal done with Briggs I would trade away the #12 and one of our reserve LBs and a draft pick in a hot second. Assuming that the Bills would offer up someone like Coy Wire as the back-up LB ifI was the Bears I would feel screwed by this deal and not pull the trigger. The converse of this decision is why I would make the deal if I'm the Bills.

I know many TSW folk would not make this deal, but I think that is because most fans over-value the draft. A #12 could be great but also he could be middlin or he could be a bust. Everyone tends to assume that their favorite draft choice is going to be a Pro Bowler. However, reality simply says otherwise.

Of the 32 1st round choices last year (generally felt to be a pretty strong draft) a look at the depth charts of teams up a couple of weeks ago showed 18 of these 32 choices listed first on the depth charts at their positions. Folks expect a 1st round choice to start immediately, but the reality is that almost half these picks were not even starters at the end of last season or slated to start the beginning of this season (the sites had uneven updating).

If this rumor is true, the Bears would demand Ellison who has at least started at WLB (the hole left by trading Briggs) and I could see why the Bills would at least turn this down the first time as it leaves them having to use the draft to shop for a starting SLB where Haggan is currently 1st on the depth chart and we need to get an LB anyway. Under this deal a second choice is the main tool we have for this and the Bears have to give up a bunch if I am going to give them my starting WLB for theirs and I am giving up a draft choice as well.

However, if they will make this deal for Wire and my 1st then I am happy to do work to fill the SLB spot.

Assuming that such a deal is contingent on us getting a long term deal done with Briggs I would trade away the #12 and one of our reserve LBs and a draft pick in a hot second. Assuming that the Bills would offer up someone like Coy Wire as the back-up LB ifI was the Bears I would feel screwed by this deal and not pull the trigger. The converse of this decision is why I would make the deal if I'm the Bills.

I know many TSW folk would not make this deal, but I think that is because most fans over-value the draft. A #12 could be great but also he could be middlin or he could be a bust. Everyone tends to assume that their favorite draft choice is going to be a Pro Bowler. However, reality simply says otherwise.

Of the 32 1st round choices last year (generally felt to be a pretty strong draft) a look at the depth charts of teams up a couple of weeks ago showed 18 of these 32 choices listed first on the depth charts at their positions. Folks expect a 1st round choice to start immediately, but the reality is that almost half these picks were not even starters at the end of last season or slated to start the beginning of this season (the sites had uneven updating).

If this rumor is true, the Bears would demand Ellison who has at least started at WLB (the hole left by trading Briggs) and I could see why the Bills would at least turn this down the first time as it leaves them having to use the draft to shop for a starting SLB where Haggan is currently 1st on the depth chart and we need to get an LB anyway. Under this deal a second choice is the main tool we have for this and the Bears have to give up a bunch if I am going to give them my starting WLB for theirs and I am giving up a draft choice as well.

However, if they will make this deal for Wire and my 1st then I am happy to do work to fill the SLB spot.

There are first round busts every year. Historically I believe half of the first round picks don't produce like they're expected to. Sure Briggs is a stand-out and would be a great addition (2 time Pro Bowler), but the idea that Ellison or Wire (good lord!) might be demanded in a trade is preposterous! Who's to say Chicago doesn't use Hillenmeyer more or draft a LB and start them? We played Ellison as a rookie. I don't have inside info on a proposed deal but I've heard some crazy stuff on these boards, but Ellison demaded in a trade? You've got to be kidding me.

I haven't laughed this hard since Peyton Manning was on SNL last weekend.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/CHI/10100317

"Meanwhile, the Washington Redskins offered the sixth pick in the draft for Briggs and the Redskins' No. 31 selection.

"We'll digest what they offered Monday and we'll go from there," Angelo said, adding no other team has made an offer."

Um, the 31st pick in the draft is the Bears pick. Not the Redskins. It's a typo. The Skins offered a swap of first round picks.

Um, the 31st pick in the draft is the Bears pick. Not the Redskins. It's a typo. The Skins offered a swap of first round picks.

"no other offer" was the part of the quote I focused on.. didn't even notice the typo..