Character

Theres always talk about marv and his "Character" players that he wants on the team, yet I don't think the fans truely understand what he wants, and what he means by character

Most fans believe when he says character players, Marv is looking for Boy Scouts with no demons in their past, and have never even seen trouble, let alone ever been in trouble.

This is not true. All GM's look for players who don't have criminal records or troubled pasts that could effect their onfield play (i.e. legal trounle that could put them in jail, prior drug problems, disruptive behaviour, etc), except maybe the Bengals and Dolphins (thats just a joke, take it easy cincy)

What Marv is looking for when he says "character" are guys that come out every week and want to play football. They may not be the best players available, but they are guys that will come in and play at 150% every down of the game and not give up no matter how much time is left and what the score is. They give it their all for 80 minutes a game. They are guys that love football, and come to play for the game, not for the money. He wants guys the fans can be proud to have represent their city. Someone parents can actually be happy with that their kids idolize. Basically they are guys that win or lose, fans can walk out with their heads held high and say "Atleast they gave it their all, and the other team beat us because they were better" and not "Maybe we could have beaten them if player 'X' would have tried on that play, or player 'Y' played harder instead of taking those plays off"

If Marv's idea of character guys were ones without criminal records and are Boy Scouts off and on the field, he'd be a bit of a hypocrite considering his SB teams weren't the best role models

So far this is working out rather well. Marv and Dick have weeded out the bad apples, and bringing in guys people can be proud of.

I really hope this plan works out in the long run and marv gets that SB win to add to his resume and the Bills become a team that some can link the word Dynasty to just like the hated Patriots

I completely agree with you. I think too often the premium is made on choir boys, which help but we want guys that will go, regardless of down or distance or score. Also, I think we're looking for versatile guys. DEs that can play DT and vice versa, TEs that can be H-backs in a pinch, etc. And I think because of that we'll have 53 players that can play upward of 2-3 positions on the team. Eventually that sort of depth cannot be overlooked...

High Character= Guys who love to play the game of football and want to work to be the best football player they can be. They view the money and fame as extra added benefits of being football players.

Low Character= Guys who are atheletically talented and choose to play football because they want the money and the fame.

They are not interested in working to get better--they will just reley on their natural talent as far as it can

take them.

High Character= Guys who love to play the game of football and want to work to be the best football oney and fame as extra added benefits of being football players.

Low Character= Guys who are atheletically talented and choose to play football because they want the money and the fame.

They are not interested in working to get better--they will just reley on their natural talent as far as it can

take them.

Add to it:

Guys who will not whine about their team mates or who should start or should be benched....

What Marv is looking for when he says "character" are guys that come out every week and want to play football. They may not be the best players available, but they are guys that will come in and play at 150% every down of the game and not give up no matter how much time is left and what the score is. They give it their all for 80 minutes a game. They are guys that love football, and come to play for the game, not for the money. He wants guys the fans can be proud to have represent their city. Someone parents can actually be happy with that their kids idolize. Basically they are guys that win or lose, fans can walk out with their heads held high and say "Atleast they gave it their all, and the other team beat us because they were better" and not "Maybe we could have beaten them if player 'X' would have tried on that play, or player 'Y' played harder instead of taking those plays off"

He wants guys that use a lot of cliches?

So I can look forward to the return of Tim Anderson ?

That description has to fit about 1400 guys in professional football.

Theres always talk about marv and his "Character" players that he wants on the team, yet I don't think the fans truely understand what he wants, and what he means by character

Most fans believe when he says character players, Marv is looking for Boy Scouts with no demons in their past, and have never even seen trouble, let alone ever been in trouble.

This is not true. All GM's look for players who don't have criminal records or troubled pasts that could effect their onfield play (i.e. legal trounle that could put them in jail, prior drug problems, disruptive behaviour, etc), except maybe the Bengals and Dolphins (thats just a joke, take it easy cincy)

If Marv's idea of character guys were ones without criminal records and are Boy Scouts off and on the field, he'd be a bit of a hypocrite considering his SB teams weren't the best role models

So far this is working out rather well. Marv and Dick have weeded out the bad apples, and bringing in guys people can be proud of.

I really hope this plan works out in the long run and marv gets that SB win to add to his resume and the Bills become a team that some can link the word Dynasty to just like the hated Patriots

High Character= Guys who love to play the game of football and want to work to be the best football player they can be. They view the money and fame as extra added benefits of being football players.

take them.

Right on.

By the way, it's tough to find high character guys. From my experience knowing some college football players, a lot of them hate the game or are at least apathetic. A lot of them don't follow the NFL, don't care about football, and just play because that's what they've done all their lives and/or it might be a way to make money.

If anyone has any doubts about what Marv is trying to put together, they should go pick up his book. Reading through it'll become pretty clear what he's trying to do in Buffalo...

Good post, by the way!

take them.

This is why I am not so concerned with those photos in the Baltimore Sun of Willis doing sprints: it is because, in football, there will be 11 men coming in the opposite direction that Willis is sprinting, and at some point he will have to make a decision (his brain's not that good [crumple]).

I liked it better when I said it.

Marv wants guys that suck at math? :thumbdown:

:D I agree with your basic premise.

I think money and fame are fine motivators and not necessarily "bad character" traits, as long as there are others as well.

Bad character traits that can affect a team are thing like placing personal accomplishments ABOVE team accomplishments. For example, Bruce Smith (I feel) was motivated by fame and money, also placed alot importance on personal stats, but I always felt that winning was THE most important thing to him. He worked hard to stay in shape, even if he didn't practice hard or held out and was a prima donna. He played hurt.

He wanted to be the best. that's the big one.