Its Darwin Walker for Spikes and Kelly

seq004

Chris Brown's blog from BB.com - well put:

"SPIKES, HOLCOMB TRADE: I have to commend the Bills on this move. They clear some salary space and help to address a need on the interior of their defensive line. Even better Walker is still under contract through the 2008 season at reasonable money ($1.3M base in 2007 and $1.4M base in 2008). Holcomb really wasn't a fit in Steve Fairchild's offense. He's a better fit for the horizontal passing attack of a west coast offense, so he should serve a purpose in Philly.

Walker is a hard-nosed defensive tackle who can penetrate. His sack totals are impressive for an interior player, although playing with two good defensive ends helped in Cole and Kearse (when healthy). I like that Walker has been durable and though he is 30-years old, he won't have to play 50 plays a game in Buffalo's rotational system, so he should be able to stay fresh. I expect him to work with Larry Tripplett at the 3-technique position and rotate through. I'm wondering if this means that John McCargo will become a full time nose tackle or one-technique and rotate with Kyle Williams. We'll have to see.

I'm hearing the conditional pick is a seventh rounder for Holcomb.

It's really tough to see Spikes leave knowing the warrior he was when healthy, but I don't think the Bills felt they could afford to wait another season to see if Spikes would return to full form. Spikes' last two games last season were pretty productive and I understand his performance in those two games is what sold the Eagles on him.

Unfortunately the odds are against NFL players who try to return from achilles injuries. Sure everyone references Seattle's Julian Peterson, but he is an exception to the rule. Chicago's Mike Brown still isn't right after missing most of last season. Philadelphia's Todd Pinkston struggled in his return to form last year. Sam Cowart was never the same player. I'm never one to doubt Spikes and his incredible will, but the statistics build a compelling case against him.

Still I wish him luck. He was a stand up locker room guy and very active in the community. "

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Solid, veteran D-Line prescense. Not a true difference-maker though.

What do walker and tripplett have in common?(bonus points for anyone who can point it out)

They both have a college degree or they both own a business.

they both competed in Track and Field (shotput) in college.

FWIW McCargo did in high school as per his BB.com profile

Also played baseball, basketball, and ran track…McCargo advanced to the state championships in the shot put and discus as a junior, placing fourth in the discus.
Perhaps we've cracked the code for what the Bills use to get DTs :worthy:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the class that Marv Levy still has towards others. TKO took a chance with the Bills, and was all class. He never complained about his time here. But he still wants a chance at the playoffs. Marv could have given him to any team, but he gave him to a team that still has a great chance to at least make it to the playoffs. Just two years ago, they were in the superbowl. Marv is a class act. He leads by example. This team, and everyone playing under him will reflect his character. Those outside the organization will want to play for the Buffalo Bills. ML has brought back respect for the Buffalo Bills. Here, here for Marv!

:worthy:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the class that Marv Levy still has towards others. TKO took a chance with the Bills, and was all class. He never complained about his time here. But he still wants a chance at the playoffs. Marv could have given him to any team, but he gave him to a team that still has a great chance to at least make it to the playoffs. Just two years ago, they were in the superbowl. Marv is a class act. He leads by example. This team, and everyone playing under him will reflect his character. Those outside the organization will want to play for the Buffalo Bills. ML has brought back respect for the Buffalo Bills. Here, here for Marv!

:worthy:

To Marv

<_<

He's averaged just under 2.0 tackles a game for his career and posted 26.5 sacks over the past 5 seasons. All things considered I'd say he's above average for his position and like the trade.

I updated my post as was about to look at the message board and found it.

I just read that he had a 56 tackle season last year. Much better than the 2.0 average for his career, must have started out slow. I like the trade...Just need to pick a new jersey for the upcoming year!

For what it's worth, prior to last season Walker was rated a "good starter" by Scouts Inc.

2006 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Grade: 73 | Key (70-74 is a "good starter")

Alert: None

Comment:

Walker is quick, active and experienced. He is somewhat versatile. He has played three-technique and nose tackle. He is at his best using his first-step quickness and hitting gaps. He reads quickly and gets good jumps on plays. He is tough to block when slanted into gaps. He can get sideways, make himself skinny and give linemen little surface to block. He can play laterally and has the quickness to get down the line and make plays. He uses his hands well to keep blockers off his lower body. He is a solid wrap-up tackler who strikes with force. But Walker is aging and coming off an injury-plagued 2005. He isn't a power player. He isn't physical at the point of attack and doesn't split double-team blocks effectively. He won't stack, shed and make tackles in the hole. He has lost some pass-rushing ability. He no longer gets on the edges quickly. He doesn't counter effectively when he gets tied up.

I just read that he had a 56 tackle season last year. Much better than the 2.0 average for his career, must have started out slow. I like the trade...Just need to pick a new jersey for the upcoming year!

Fu#k New Jersey. :worthy:

Traitor!

I think this is a good pickup for the Bills...however, getting rid of their only true "veteran" at LB is tough to swallow, even though Spikes is on his last year or two in this league. Darwin Walker should fill in the rotation nicely with the rest of their guys. This will make it interesting to see how it all plays out on Draft day....Do the Bills go after Willis at 12, shore up the LB position, or do they draft a RB high? Or a CB?

To be honest, I would not be surprised to see them trade down about 5 or 6 spots if they feel that they can get someone a little later, plus pick up a draft pick. Maybe trade down and get Posluszny plus a pick or two later on....

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187671

It looks like 27 tackles, and 9 assists (and 6 sacks, 3 passes defensed). 6' 3'' | 294 pounds. 3 games missed in the last 5 years. His stats look fine to me....

Ok so we won't be going Okoye or Branch in Rd 1. We go RB or LB at 1

My guess is, they think Okoye is going to be gone before #112 and Branch is not in their plans. This narrows the need list for the #1 draft pick. If they sign a vet RB (I expect them to sign Brown this week) it narrows that need even further.