Chris Brown update...

jri111

http://rotoworld.com/Content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

Chris Brown's agent talked to the Titans Wednesday.

Brown is still debating over whether to sign with the Titans, Lions, or possibly Green Bay. Returning to Tennessee could be his best chance for a decent role.

Source: Nashville City Paper

I hope he still does his Bills blog. Good info always.

Brown is still debating over whether to sign with the Titans, Lions, or possibly Green Bay. Returning to Tennessee could be his best chance for a decent role.

I thought the talks were "heating up" with Buffalo? :blink:

His best chance is with the Titans, or the Packers both teams have huge holes at RB and he could fill the hole for them and be almost guaranteed the starting job. I have a feeling he is also trying to get a feel as to how they are going to be drafting, if one of those teams is looking at a 1st/2nd round RB, he may be less likely to sign if he is going to be sharing the ball with someone.

Actually, that is whoever edits that Rotoworld site's. The source that was linked, the Nashville City Paper, actually mentioned by name only two teams, Tennessee and Buffalo.

Actually, that is whoever edits that Rotoworld site's. The source that was linked, the Nashville City Paper, actually mentioned by name only two teams, Tennessee and Buffalo.

Nice job of reporting. :blink:

Why would rotoworld even throw in the Lions--who now have Kevin Jones, Tatem Bell, and TJ Duckett on their roster, among some other good RB's?

good pickup. I knew it was an opinion of the rotoworld editors, but I assumed at least the team names were from the source. Well that site lost a lot of credibility with me! Anyways here's what the Nashville Paper said:

"STILL LOOKING: Running back Chris Brown has four teams that he is considering, with the Titans and Buffalo Bills still among that mix. Agent Ryan Morgan said he spoke to Titans general manager Mike Reinfeldt on Wednesday about the unrestricted free agent, who started for two years in Tennessee."

Darn, I was hoping the Chris Brown in Buffalo talk was done!!

I see the whole Chris Brown situation as interesting. I think there are two possibilities here. Either the Bills dont really want Brown and are looking more at 1st round rb to add to the position. Or they are trying to get him in here and do the two back rotation thing like Indy. If we end up signing him, I dont see us picking a RB on day one. I am waiting to see which way the Bills go, but I think we will pass on Brown and draft Lynch or AP if he somehow falls into our lap...

I see the whole Chris Brown situation as interesting. I think there are two possibilities here. Either the Bills dont really want Brown and are looking more at 1st round rb to add to the position. Or they are trying to get him in here and do the two back rotation thing like Indy. If we end up signing him, I dont see us picking a RB on day one. I am waiting to see which way the Bills go, but I think we will pass on Brown and draft Lynch or AP if he somehow falls into our lap...

I think it's simpler than that, but that they are thinking and preparing both ways. I think they simply have a dollar amount that they want to sign him for. Right now he and his agent are asking a little too much. If they come down to near the Bills number we will sign him unless another team gets him to be closer to their number first. I think we'd like him to be part of the RBBC but will draft a RB regardless. And it will be Brown/A Train/Draft Pick, or it will be A Train/Draft Pick/Shaud or Jackson. I don't really think it makes MUCH difference to us in the Lynch/Peterson sweepstakes either. If those guys are there, especially Peterson, and our scouts like him a lot they will take him with or without Brown. Those are three different kinds of runners, and Brown is not likely to sign a long term deal but more likely 1-2 years.

I think there are two possibilities here. Either the Bills dont really want Brown and are looking more at 1st round rb to add to the position. Or they are trying to get him in here and do the two back rotation thing like Indy.

Marv's position with Brown probably is that he's a fall back should they not get a RB in the draft who can contribute right away. Just laying the groundwork for a post-draft deal, should the chips fall that way.

I think Marv -- to his credit -- has given Brown a take it or leave it offer. Brown and his agent are trying to raise his market value. The problem is that everyone knows that the LAST team that he would want to sign with is Tennessee, as he managed to land himself in Fisher's doghouse.

I think it's simpler than that, but that they are thinking and preparing both ways. I think they simply have a dollar amount that they want to sign him for. Right now he and his agent are asking a little too much. If they come down to near the Bills number we will sign him unless another team gets him to be closer to their number first. I think we'd like him to be part of the RBBC but will draft a RB regardless. And it will be Brown/A Train/Draft Pick, or it will be A Train/Draft Pick/Shaud or Jackson. I don't really think it makes MUCH difference to us in the Lynch/Peterson sweepstakes either. If those guys are there, especially Peterson, and our scouts like him a lot they will take him with or without Brown. Those are three different kinds of runners, and Brown is not likely to sign a long term deal but more likely 1-2 years.

I agree with what you are saying Kelly, especially about the dollar amount. I just think the Bills will draft a rb on day 2 if we sign Brown. I think we have too many holes on this team that NEED filling. If we have two decent backs, we can fill a LB need or a DT need and reach for a RB later.

I agree with what you are saying Kelly, especially about the dollar amount. I just think the Bills will draft a rb on day 2 if we sign Brown. I think we have too many holes on this team that NEED filling. If we have two decent backs, we can fill a LB need or a DT need and reach for a RB later.

That could very well be. But I don't think teams look at it that way the way fans do. I think teams just make their board and cross guys off. When the time the second round comes around and it is their choice, I don't think they have already decided we're going to get a RB on day two if they already have signed Brown. I think they look at the RBs who are still on the board, as well as the other guys at the top of their own board and especially the need position guys and then and only then make their choice. If they have an RB at the very top of their board that is still left in the 2nd or 3rd round when they are on the clock, and most of the other guys they had highly rated are gone, they will take the RB.

That could very well be. But I don't think teams look at it that way the way fans do. I think teams just make their board and cross guys off. When the time the second round comes around and it is their choice, I don't think they have already decided we're going to get a RB on day two if they already have signed Brown. I think they look at the RBs who are still on the board, as well as the other guys at the top of their own board and especially the need position guys and then and only then make their choice. If they have an RB at the very top of their board that is still left in the 2nd or 3rd round when they are on the clock, and most of the other guys they had highly rated are gone, they will take the RB.

I think you have the right of it. Either way, I trust Marv to get it right. Unlike some here who think he has screwed the pooch, I like what he is doing.

My god if the Bills really like Chris Brown and want him to be there man carrying the rock than they should not be cheap about signing him. They obviously wanted Dockery and Walker a lot so they went out and paid them good money to get them to sign. If we really like a guy, than we should pay them market value. I don't think that who we sign is based that much on how much money they are asking for. I think it is based on how much the Bills really like them. I don't think the Bills are really that crazy about Chris Brown. If they were and thought he was the future at running back, than we would have signed him by now.

Despite what everyone thinks about the Bills being cheap with there "cash to cap" economics, the truth is that they will pay if they want to keep or sign someone. (see: Kelsay, Dockery, Walker) I doubt we ever sign Chris Brown. And for god sakes has there ever been so much discussed about a marginal running back who is currently out of a job?

Marv, either sign him or tell the world we don't want him so we can move on to the next subject. PLEASE

My god if the Bills really like Chris Brown and want him to be there man carrying the rock than they should not be cheap about signing him. They obviously wanted Dockery and Walker a lot so they went out and paid them good money to get them to sign. If we really like a guy, than we should pay them market value. I don't think that who we sign is based that much on how much money they are asking for. I think it is based on how much the Bills really like them. I don't think the Bills are really that crazy about Chris Brown. If they were and thought he was the future at running back, than we would have signed him by now.

Despite what everyone thinks about the Bills being cheap with there "cash to cap" economics, the truth is that they will pay if they want to keep or sign someone. (see: Kelsay, Dockery, Walker) I doubt we ever sign Chris Brown. And for god sakes has there ever been so much discussed about a marginal running back who is currently out of a job?

Marv, either sign him or tell the world we don't want him so we can move on to the next subject. PLEASE

They don't have any more money to sign him because they wanted to sign linemen. They have already used up their self-imposed limit. So surely what they pay has a lot to do with what they sign a guy for and whether or not they sign him. Brown's agent publicly said earlier he wants starter money. That's why they did the rounds of the league to see what was out there. No one was willing to give him starter money because of his injury history, and that's why he hasn't been signed yet and that's why it's difficult to gauge what we think is a fair amount for him. It's the same problem the Bills are having with TKO and it's easy to understand why. They may LOVE Chris Brown at a two year six million contract and hate him at a four year 12 million contract that the agent may be holding out for (I am just tossing those numbers around). He's a unique case because of his previous fragility.