If you ever thought your kid was a PITA

/dev/null

His family did not deny he has been in trouble, but they said he could not commit so many crimes.

His stepfather said Riley had a rough childhood.

'Nooooo! Not my child!'

Welcome to the excuse factory.

Lemme guess. Mr. Blake is a Dr. Spock neophyte and the kid never got a spanking or saw a corner as a small child.

'Nooooo! Not my child!'

Lemme guess. Mr. Blake is a Dr. Spock neophyte and the kid never got a spanking or saw a corner as a small child.

Let me guess, this kid has been REGULARLY beaten and thinks that is the way to solve problems.

Let me guess, this kid has been REGULARLY beaten and thinks that is the way to solve problems.

Let me tell you, I was spanked and stood in a corner when I was younger, and I've grown up having no problems with the law. Why? Because I knew when I was disciplined that I screwed up and deserved it.

Let me tell you, I was spanked and stood in a corner when I was younger, and I've grown up having no problems with the law. Why? Because I knew when I was disciplined that I screwed up and deserved it.

I have no problem with some spanking. I was spanked, too. Of course, you can go too far. I think you'd agree.

The suggestion that this kid turned out the was he turned out because he wasn't spanked was too ludicrous to leave alone. I'd be wiling to bet SERIOUSLY bad criminals are FAR more likely to be children of abuse than they are children of Dr. Spock devotees. (Now, children of Mr. Spock devotees have their own set of issues.)

'Nooooo! Not my child!'

Lemme guess Mr. Blake, his step father, is one in a long line of men who have been with this child's mother.

You know, the idea of smacking your child to knock some sense into him always made sense to me until I had my own child. Now I see it for what it is; lazy parenting. Are there times I'd like to smack my son? Sure. There are also times I'd like to smack my wife, my employees, my customers and half the people on the highway. But it just doesn't have an upside. If you have to hit to discipline today, that's just lazy to me.

Written in '61, but just as true today. The only difference is today we know more about how to raise a child. It's not a perfect science, but there's no room for laziness.

Dear kindly Sergeant Krupke,

You gotta understand,

It's just our bringin' up-ke

That gets us out of hand.

Our mothers all are junkies,

Our fathers all are drunks.

Golly Moses, natcherly we're punks!

My father is a bastard,

My ma's an S.O.B.

My grandpa's always plastered,

My grandma pushes tea.

My sister wears a mustache,

My brother wears a dress.

Goodness gracious, that's why I'm a mess!

Bet his parents didn't take him to see Ghost Rider. (see wicker man thread)

Okay maybe not, holy crap that kid is one bad friggin seed.

Anyone know if Willis was ever in that part of ohio... (I know cheap shot... two minutes in the box). :wallbash:

'Nooooo! Not my child!'

Lemme guess, you're an expert on yet another specific incident after having read three lines of a news article.

They had a story about this family/kid on the local news here in C'bus. When the mother was interviewed on camera she had a t-shirt/sweatshirt that had a logo of a pistol on the front. Mother said that he just got caught up with the "wrong group". Also, the newscaster said that the kids younger brother was also charged in the break-ins.

My guess is we don't have a clue why the kid did what he did and are projecting? Funny what we all read into newspaper articles.

BING! We have a winner.

My point was simply to show how idiocy of the original statement.

My guess is we don't have a clue why the kid did what he did and are projecting? Funny what we all read into newspaper articles.

I get what you are saying Tenny... Yet, it is pretty effed up and defeatist if we are just to accept it and NOT project...

Of course we are projecting from a news article... And yet, that projecting CAN be very useful, IMO.

Like using "windage"... You are gonna project on this kids life and hopefully pull your "shot" (your child's life) somewhere closer to the target (where you want YOUR kid to be)...

I have no problem with some spanking. I was spanked, too. Of course, you can go too far. I think you'd agree.

The suggestion that this kid turned out the was he turned out because he wasn't spanked was too ludicrous to leave alone. I'd be wiling to bet SERIOUSLY bad criminals are FAR more likely to be children of abuse than they are children of Dr. Spock devotees. (Now, children of Mr. Spock devotees have their own set of issues.)

Spanking is not abuse and the fact that you actually compare the two is too ludicrous to leave alone.

Spanking is not abuse and the fact that you actually compare the two is too ludicrous to leave alone.

Well, you also compared them by saying "spanking is not abuse". To "compare" something is FAR different than to "equate" them. I, in now way shape or form, equated spanking with abuse.

I wanted to show how ignorant it was to suppose this boy came to be the way he is because he had never been spanked. As a retort/response/alternative I suggested he may have been regularly beaten.

The Dean @ Mar 14 2007, 06:35 PM) *

I can't figure what I might have said to rankle you so, DA.