I am reviewing last years Titan game

I think Takeo may indeed be gone. Since Ellison and Spikes are both starting the game I can see them both play:

Ellison - regardless of his size Ellison is exactly what DJ is looking for in this defense.......he is reading and reacting while he is running TOWARDS the line of scrimmage......he has a full head of steam by the time he gets there and more often then not he is making the play, in on the play, or around the play. I still hope we see a bigger Ellision this next year but this guy might EXPLODE on the scene.

Spikes...and god I hate to say this because I am huge fan is doing the exact opposite, (just as I right this Spikes makes a play on a pass to Hall) but these plays are so few and far between.....what I saw a lot of was a linemen latched onto Takeo shuting him down and not being around or close to the play. Please Please Spikes regain your old form.

I think there is a good chance he could end up being released with our linebacking core Ellison, Crowell, and Patrick Willis

Other observations:

- We need to get Anthony Thomas resigned. He is exactly the type of RB that would thrive behind the OL upgrades. Willis doesn't even want to run up the middle.

- We need our running game to be dominant when the cold weather gets here....we win this game if we can keep the Titans offense off the field

- Losman is progressing nicely....it will be interesting to see how he does as they started slow and opened it up as the season went on.

- When we run a screen our OL let the DL through a little TOO quick

- Even though Cieslak was the cause of a int...I really like his game I think we are just with our two TE's

- Peerless Price got better towards the end of the season (or when Losman started trusting him more)

- If you can put a shouderpad onto Willis's thigh in the open field he is done

You know.....a couple of pieces and this team is going to contend. People will right us off again this year but I dont think so.

I think Takeo may indeed be gone. Since Ellison and Spikes are both starting the game I can see them both play:

Ellison - regardless of his size Ellison is exactly what DJ is looking for in this defense.......he is reading and reacting while he is running TOWARDS the line of scrimmage......he has a full head of steam by the time he gets there and more often then not he is making the play, in on the play, or around the play. I still hope we see a bigger Ellision this next year but this guy might EXPLODE on the scene.

Spikes...and god I hate to say this because I am huge fan is doing the exact opposite, (just as I right this Spikes makes a play on a pass to Hall) but these plays are so few and far between.....what I saw a lot of was a linemen latched onto Takeo shuting him down and not being around or close to the play. Please Please Spikes regain your old form.

I think there is a good chance he could end up being released with our linebacking core Ellison, Crowell, and Patrick Willis

Other observations:

- We need to get Anthony Thomas resigned. He is exactly the type of RB that would thrive behind the OL upgrades. Willis doesn't even want to run up the middle.

- We need our running game to be dominant when the cold weather gets here....we win this game if we can keep the Titans offense off the field

- Losman is progressing nicely....it will be interesting to see how he does as they started slow and opened it up as the season went on.

- Even though Cieslak was the cause of a int...I really like his game I think we are just with our two TE's

- Peerless Price got better towards the end of the season (or when Losman started trusting him more)

You know.....a couple of pieces and this team is going to contend. People will right us off again this year but I dont think so.

I've had a feeling we would lose him since last 3 games of the season.

The concern with Ellison is obviously his statistical size (and being a late pick: low risk, high reward draft guy), but from 1 game you've obviously taken a positive viewing. Any negatives noted...more to balance the assessment. The positives of recognition, assaulting the play at the line maybe perhaps the defensive alignment and youthful enthusiasm to hit with steam :blink: do they outweigh say perhaps what size would detract from, obviously at the point or shedding conclusions? How did he cope with plays away, running down through the line...that sort of thing?

Thanks

Other observations:

Nice post. I REALLY hope Spikes returns to his old form. AT is a good badk and I hope we re-sign him.

Please Please Spikes regain your old form.

Let them both play. He's under contract and if I'm not mistaken, it means saving three million (against three million of dead cap space) if he is cut. They don't figure to need the cap space now nor will they be up against it any time soon. Another year of please, please, please suits me fine.

The concern with Ellison is obviously his statistical size (and being a late pick: low risk, high reward draft guy), but from 1 game you've obviously taken a positive viewing. Any negatives noted...more to balance the assessment. The positives of recognition, assaulting the play at the line maybe perhaps the defensive alignment and youthful enthusiasm to hit with steam :blink: do they outweigh say perhaps what size would detract from, obviously at the point or shedding conclusions? How did he cope with plays away, running down through the line...that sort of thing?

Thanks

The real negative that I saw (and I hope this can be fixed with a full year in the strength and conditioning program) is that although highly productive Ellison basically a extremely large safety.....one frame of the game that really caught my eye was watching him and Nate Clements in the same frame together......you could almost think these two guys were in the same position......Ellison was slightly taller and you could tell his arms were slightly bigger.....but you would NEVER mistake Ellison for Takeo Spikes.

When Ellison makes a hit....he wraps...because if he doesn't he is going to bounce right off slowing down the ball carrier but not stopping them. He will latch on.....then someone else gets in on the play as well.

The real negative that I saw (and I hope this can be fixed with a full year in the strength and conditioning program) is that although highly productive Ellison basically a extremely large safety.....one frame of the game that really caught my eye was watching him and Nate Clements in the same frame together......you could almost think these two guys were in the same position......Ellison was slightly taller and you could tell his arms were slightly bigger.....but you would NEVER mistake Ellison for Takeo Spikes.

When Ellison makes a hit....he wraps...because if he doesn't he is going to bounce right off slowing down the ball carrier but not stopping them. He will latch on.....then someone else gets in on the play as well.

The reason why Spikes is on the trading block is because coaches reviewed tape from last year and noticed that with a little fine tuning (ie size, working on the same instinct that got him to where he was at the end of last year, and speed) that he could be a real contributor on D and supplant Spikes as a better palyer on th weak side. Even though he is slightly undersized, he showed ability of stopping the run with good anticipation and speed. I only expect him to gel more with the first team defense that featured a lot of rookie starters to provide a solid starter who no one projected to be able to fill in for our defensive catalyst.

I don't think that Takeo was actually on the "trading block", but I do believe that this was a sign sent to Takeo that says "you need to get better and every job on this team is up for grabs. I think it may be a way to help motivate him for all the wrong reasons. But I expect Takeo to come back and perform at a high level next year.

Lets remember...Although TAKEO isnt quite the players he was...He is playing a position were he isnt asked to make the big play, his job as the SLB is to take on blocks...so others can come in behind him(MLB/Safety's) and make the plays....

Put him back at the WLB...You will see him make alot more plays

Other observations:

- I agree with the A-Train, the guy has heart and is a determined runner. The running game is HUGE for us, we need him re-signed!

- I think Cieslak has the potential to be our version of Chris Cooley.

- Thank God we drafted Losman (Yes, I said it). The guy WANTS to be a Bill. He's got the work ethic of a friggin robot, too. He's allready in Buffalo studying film. This guy wants to be a Pro Bowler, and he Will be one!!

just asking a question............did the staff expect takeo to be 100%.i thought he was decent knowing how severe of a injury he came back from.and last season he hurt his hamstrings but wouldnt another off season only make him stronger?now that london is gone i think takeo is the leader of our defense unless someone else steps forward.

Here is one quick observation of that game why we lost, because JP Losman threw it down the field for 50 yards and had it intercepted :blink: On 4th down 5 yards to go, why would you do that of course I didn't watch the game because it was blacked out

You obviously didn't see the game. It was a busted play, not designed for Losman to throw for the end zone, but only to get the first down. But when the receiver didn't come open and the protection broke down, Losman scrambled and threw for the end zone. It was not a bad decision. It even looked like Josh Reed was held on the play, which allowed the defensive player to intercept.

just asking a question............did the staff expect takeo to be 100%.i thought he was decent knowing how severe of a injury he came back from.and last season he hurt his hamstrings but wouldnt another off season only make him stronger?now that london is gone i think takeo is the leader of our defense unless someone else steps forward.

you don;t pay $5 mil per year for decent'

that's what you get from a 2nd day pick.

a day one pick will be an upgrade for a fraction of hte cost.

I resent your accusation. I am all for the chosen people and this has nothing to do with it. Could care less what his name or ethinicity is. Sounds a little like you think of the worst, talk about complex.

I have always tried to be courtious and respectful on this board but bringing up items like that is disrespectful.

As a born, raised ( in the city, not the outskirts ) and educated Buffaloian who has watched the Bills from the start, through the tough times and the good times and know a little about my home town Bills. Just because you post more doesn't mean people with less posts or out of town log in names is less knowledgeable or loyal.

I'm OK with disagreement but don't call someone who thinks differently names or things you know nothing about. Show a little respect because I do and will continue to do so.

I know what I will get from some but I would hope there is more class on this board. Thanks

I resent your accusation. I am all for the chosen people and this has nothing to do with it. Could care less what his name or ethinicity is. Sounds a little like you think of the worst, talk about complex.

I have always tried to be courtious and respectful on this board but bringing up items like that is disrespectful.

As a born, raised ( in the city, not the outskirts ) and educated Buffaloian who has watched the Bills from the start, through the tough times and the good times and know a little about my home town Bills. Just because you post more doesn't mean people with less posts or out of town log in names is less knowledgeable or loyal.

I'm OK with disagreement but don't call someone who thinks differently names or things you know nothing about. Show a little respect because I do and will continue to do so.

I know what I will get from some but I would hope there is more class on this board. Thanks

Wrong thread/forum, I think? :flirt:

You obviously didn't see the game. It was a busted play, not designed for Losman to throw for the end zone, but only to get the first down. But when the receiver didn't come open and the protection broke down, Losman scrambled and threw for the end zone. It was not a bad decision. It even looked like Josh Reed was held on the play, which allowed the defensive player to intercept.

I have not watched the game for some time, (the ending broke my heart) but from what I remember, on the last couple of drives of the game JP was under considerable pressure every time he dropped back to pass. There is no way that on a crucial 4th and five with a decent amount of time left to move into field goal position, that we would throw a hail mary type pass. Hopefully, with the additions on the offensive line, JP will have the time to complete a much higher percentage pass in that situation next season.

And in fact, it did look like Reed got held when he was coming back to try and make the catch!!