Who was a bigger hitter? Clements or Winfield?

While we are on the subject of Top 10 lists, lets do the all-time biggest draft or free-agent busts in Bills history

1. Erik Flowers

2. Mike Williams

3. JD Williams

4. Drew Bledsoe

5. Lawyer Milloy

Help me out........

Drew Bledsoe and Milloy weren't exactly busts. Bledsoe had a great first year and wasn't completly horrible. Putting him there and leaving off any other QB after Kelly?

Milloy was average, not great but not horrible, just an old player looking to get a couple more years in

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd say winfield was the better hitter, and more consistent tackler. does anyone remember his hit against terry glenn in GB (i think?) when he knocked the ear pads out of glenn's helmet?

This isn't even a question. Antoine Winfield is by far the better hitter and tackler than Clements. It's funny that this is even debated. When the Vikes last came to Buffalo, we kept trying to run to Winfield's side, and either by his tackling or just his positioning on the field, we were largely unsuccessful.

Not even close. Nate is two notches behind Winfield in tackling. A step behind him in hitting. But, the same can be said about Winfield being behind Nate in coverage skills and picks.

Winfield might be one of the best tacklers the game has ever seen. Especially at the CB position. Nate misses alot of tackles.

While we are on the subject of Top 10 lists, lets do the all-time biggest draft or free-agent busts in Bills history

1. Mike Williams

2. Erik Flowers

3. Rob Johnson

4. Eddie Robinson

5. Billy Joe Hobart

6. Todd Collins

7. Tutan Reyes

10. Drew Bledsoe

tried adding/moving some guys...

i moved Drew down, and almost want to take him off totally. yeah, he only had one good year and was a statue. but its pretty obvious what you have when you have Bledsoe at QB. and your best shot at success then is building around that. the coaches we had at the time were hellbent on forcing the guys we had into their system. plus, he played for us right in the middle of our Dark Ages of O-Line. hopefully those days are over too.

1. Mike Williams

2. Erik Flowers

3. Rob Johnson

4. Eddie Robinson

5. Billy Joe Hobart

6. Todd Collins

7. Tutan Reyes

10. Drew Bledsoe

I'd take Bledsoe off and Add Bennie Anderson #10, and Mularky #9, why can't a coach be added to the list? I'd maybe move Johnson down on the list, atleast to behind Hobert, (who needs to be near the top). The only reason Johnson is a bust was because of what they gave up, and the expectations they had in him weren't met

tried adding/moving some guys...

i moved Drew down, and almost want to take him off totally. yeah, he only had one good year and was a statue. but its pretty obvious what you have when you have Bledsoe at QB. and your best shot at success then is building around that. the coaches we had at the time were hellbent on forcing the guys we had into their system. plus, he played for us right in the middle of our Dark Ages of O-Line. hopefully those days are over too.

Good ones Dr., totally forgot about Robinson and Hobert.

1. Erik Flowers

2. Mike Williams

3. JD Williams

4. Drew Bledsoe

5. Lawyer Milloy

Help me out........

Apparently you are WAY too young to be making such a list.

I'd take Bledsoe off and Add Bennie Anderson #10, and Mularky #9, why can't a coach be added to the list? I'd maybe move Johnson down on the list, atleast to behind Hobert, (who needs to be near the top). The only reason Johnson is a bust was because of what they gave up, and the expectations they had in him weren't met

very good points, lets try this...

1. Mike Williams

2. Erik Flowers

3. Rob Johnson

4. Eddie Robinson

5. Billy Joe Hobart

6. Todd Collins

7. Meathead

8. Tom Donahoe

9. Bennie Anderson

10. Tutan Reyes

very good points, lets try this...

1. Mike Williams

2. Erik Flowers

3. Rob Johnson

4. Eddie Robinson

5. Billy Joe Hobart

6. Todd Collins

7. Meathead

8. Tom Donahoe

9. Bennie Anderson

10. Tutan Reyes

Swap Hobert and Johnson, and I think you have a pretty good (well, pretty bad actually) list

Flowers is just about to turn the corner....I feel it in my gut. Get him into camp now Marv or we will regret it! Some players just take a little longer to develop.

I don't think Milloy is a huge bust. Got us a 31-0 win over the Patsies and first place in the division going into week 2.

It's tough seeing players like this walk. I would have to say Nate was a bigger hitter, but it's pretty close to call. It was fun watching Winfield because he was so small.

Another question - was Nate the most naturally athletic player ever in a bills uniform?

I can't believe I'm even going to suggest this.. but, how about Flutie, as most athletic Bill ever? (No one tell my Dad I said this.. he'll disown me.)

It's tough seeing players like this walk. I would have to say Nate was a bigger hitter, but it's pretty close to call. It was fun watching Winfield because he was so small.

Another question - was Nate the most naturally athletic player ever in a bills uniform?

Winfield never missed a tackle nor made other critical mistakes. Every so often, Nate would make the huge mistake. A few years ago, he was a big part of why we lost the opener to J'Ville on the last play. That same year, he fumbled a punt against he Steelers in a game we had to have to make the playoffs. I'd go with Winfield.

We have had lots of great athletes here. Jerry Butler for one. OJ. Bruce Smith. For a lineman, McKenzie was a great athlete as well. You have to put Lofton on that list. Corneilius Bennett. Nate is a good athlete but I never saw him as some sort of unnatural freak.

This isn't even a question. Antoine Winfield is by far the better hitter and tackler than Clements. It's funny that this is even debated. When the Vikes last came to Buffalo, we kept trying to run to Winfield's side, and either by his tackling or just his positioning on the field, we were largely unsuccessful.

Not even close. Nate is two notches behind Winfield in tackling. A step behind him in hitting. But, the same can be said about Winfield being behind Nate in coverage skills and picks.

Winfield might be one of the best tacklers the game has ever seen. Especially at the CB position. Nate misses alot of tackles.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I've never seen a corner hit like Antoine. He was the hardest hitter on the team. Maybe Nate was better all round, but hitting - holy crap, how can this even be a question? Do people have any memory at all?

Winfield was a tackling machine. He missed a tackle VERY rarely. He was also a bigger hitter than Nate, but his hits were delivered first and foremost to make the tackle, not dislodge the ball.

Winfield was also a better pure cover cornerback than Nate, IMO, but he took fewer chances to make interceptions. That was probably a wise choice as he had stone hands.

Winfield was as sound as they come when it comes to fundamentals, but he caused fewer turnovers than Nate and many other CBs. Together they were a perfectly matched set, IMO.

I must say, I don't think a game went by the last couple of years when didn't miss Winfield. The tackling by the Bills DBs has been disappointing. With London gone, who's going to consistently make the big tackles downfield?

(For the record, I broke a Golden Rule of The Wall and I have not read many of the previous replies in this thread. I'm in a hurry and will check them later. If my reply is redundant, or if I missed some fantastic threadjacking tangent, I apoligize.) :lol: