9 Laws of Physics That Don't Apply to Hollywood

/dev/null

#7 isn't quite right. Under certain conditions (high trajectory, soft ground, impact or time fused rather than proximity fused) an artillery shell will bury itself underground before exploding, thus exploding straight up rather than out.

Doesn't happen much these days, as most artillery is proximity fused. It was common in WWII and earlier, though (the New Guinea swamps, for example, or Ypres in WWI)

#7 isn't quite right. Under certain conditions (high trajectory, soft ground, impact or time fused rather than proximity fused) an artillery shell will bury itself underground before exploding, thus exploding straight up rather than out.

Doesn't happen much these days, as most artillery is proximity fused. It was common in WWII and earlier, though (the New Guinea swamps, for example, or Ypres in WWI)

facelifts defy gravity

as do fake bazoombas

Another one they didn't mention is that in the movies, guns have no recoil.

That's kind of covered in number 4.

One thing I always get a kick out of in movies is when a speeding car crashes into the back of another car, instead of just crashing into it....it rides up the back of it, launches into the air and flips over sideways. It's great!

I remember I saw a TV show once that did that and you could clearly see the ramp behind the parked car!

Number 1... Especially isn't going to happen with all the safety devices (anti-rollover fuel cutoff) newer cars...

Heck, my co-worker's family got rear ended by a tractor trailer on the highway and the fuel cut off... Disabling the car... His wife was in such a panic, my co-worker feared if she would have got out of the car... She might have got hit...

In the movies, the group of 10 bad guys will fire hundreds of rounds (with their fully automatic weapons) at the single good guy and never hit him. Yet the good guy, with his semi-automatic handgun, will manage to shoot and kill all of the bad guys.

Not just "they never hit him", but they hit everything around him. Kill lots of flowerpots, kick up lots of dirt, don't even scratch the hero.

It's called the A-Team effect.

Not just "they never hit him", but they hit everything around him. Kill lots of flowerpots, kick up lots of dirt, don't even scratch the hero.

It's called the A-Team effect.

Sounds like the opposite of the Saving Private Ryan effect where people had their limbs unrealistically blown off.

Actually, I hate to admit it, but as a small child, Hanna-Barbera convinced me that if I was in an elevater that was free-falling from several stories high, all I would have to do to be safe is open the door and step out just before the elevator crashed. :lol:

This has nothing to do with Physics but why is it that, in all Hollywood movies, when someone is having a phone conversation why don't they ever say "goodbye" when finished with their phone call? :lol:

The same reason we never see Jack Bauer go to the bathroom. It eats up film unnecessarily, which costs money.

Yeah, but how much time does it take to say a simple "bye?" Much less time than Jack taking a pee. :censored:

How much money does it cost to film eight takes of it from three camera angles, cut, print, and distribute to three thousand theaters?

Of course, I'm just making things up at this point. See, X. Benedict...all you need to sell snake oil is backbone... :blink: