Raiders fans talk about Langston Walker

Just like Bill's fans talked about Glenn Parker who went on to play 7 more seasons and was voted the team MVP by his KC teammates and just like they talked about Ruben Brown who followd that talk up with a trip to the Super Bowl and Pro Bowl.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's no surprise that people want to criticize a single player on an OL without even once considering the scheme the guy was playing in. Are there so many people here who know less than me about this sport that didn't see the Raiders QB drop back deep on every single passing play they tried to execute?

I hope I am wrong but I have only missed two Raider games in the past five years, ) only been to five in person. To say People know less than you is irresponsible ( I don't like to toot my horn but I coached for 11 years in high school and at a Junior College until my back gave out, which I really believe is irrelevant. But I would love to match my knowledge of the game with you). The point is McNally hasn't done magic since he has been here and I hope that people who know more than YOU or I can do something with this guy. A line of Peter, Dockery, Fowler and ?,? could be very good. Thanks

"he is a much better run blocker then you give him credit for....infact in 2005 he played inside he did an excellent job in the run game before getting hurt........"

Ah, the eternal equation of size = great run blocking. In fact, one of the quotes I posted above more accurately describes Walker's play at OG - DTs got under him and badly overpowered him. That is why he was moved back to OT. He first royally sukked at ORT. Then he got benched and was tried at OG, where he also royally sukked. Last year, Gallery was moved back to OLT and Walker was moved to ORT. The result was the worst pass protection in the NFL, the coach got fired etc. etc.

OK, Bills fans, you want to believe, then believe. Your dream that Walker really isn't someone who "should retire in shame" will be outed in August...

Were am I equating size with anything in my post....I've watched him play for awhile now and know he isnt terrible....I'm not sitting here saying he is a great OL....He has many faults...moreso in his pass protection...

your he started RT sucked, then moved inside were he sucked, then moved back outside were he sucked even more rant is getting tired....

The dudes problems have been in his pass protection, recognizing stunts inside and speed rushers on the outside...obviously Mcnally sees something in his game that needs some slight tweaking.....

I guess we will both see in August....

And don't forget - that line was using blocking schemes that were 10+ years old with no updates. Couple that with tons of 7 step drops and Aaron Brooks/Andrew Walter as your QB and you got a big problem. In fact, he opted out of his rookie deal thanks to a clause in his contract, so he knew what was going on and didn't like it.

And to be fair a good bit of his sacks came from the Sun/Mon (I can't remember) game against the Chargers, with Merriman running by as Walker blocked down on a slanted DE.

Yup, this is 100% correct. All of it.

... which I really believe is irrelevant. But I would love to match my knowledge of the game with you). The point is McNally hasn't done magic since he has been here and I hope that people who know more than YOU or I can do something with this guy. A line of Peter, Dockery, Fowler and ?,? could be very good. Thanks
First, you are correct, the fact that you coached high school kids, to me, is as relevant as having a Punt, Pass and Kick trophy in the eight-to-ten-year-old category. Second, my point is simply that I know very little about Xs and Os and yet even I know you can not, in any example of common sense, judge how Langston Walker will perform in Buffalo based on what you witnessed in Oakland. I've seen plenty of Raider games myself, and to have so many people say he sucked there so he'll suck here is just ludicrous.

First, you are correct, the fact that you coached high school kids, to me, is as relevant as having a Punt, Pass and Kick trophy in the eight-to-ten-year-old category. Second, my point is simply that I know very little about Xs and Os and yet even I know you can not, in any example of common sense, judge how Langston Walker will perform in Buffalo based on what you witnessed in Oakland. I've seen plenty of Raider games myself, and to have so many people say he sucked there so he'll suck here is just ludicrous.

Ludicrous ?!! To say he won't suck would be wishful thinking , at best. Believe me I hope Walker, who has terrible footwork, can be coached up and the Bills blow people away. Just not convinced. Again I am excited about Dockery, Fowler and Peters... and the prospects of Pennington, Butler, et. al. Just not as optimistic as many others... about Walker. Diminshing my time on the job does not increase your argument, however. BUT I HOPE YOU ARE RIGHT AND I AM THE FOOL on this subject. Thanks

As a Bills fan, you knew Mike Williams sucked, and would suck in Jacksonville, even though they thought he might be good. Why is this any different? Are Raider fans dumber than Bills fans?

As a Bills fan, you knew Mike Williams sucked, and would suck in Jacksonville, even though they thought he might be good. Why is this any different? Are Raider fans dumber than Bills fans?

I initially thought the same thing, but then I was reminded by others here of the whole Ruben Brown situation. I for one wanted Ruben to go, and I thought he woudl stink it up in Chi-town. I think most of us did. But the "scene change" served him very well. There is also the fac that Williams was protecting a couple turds at QB, had some of the worst coaching in recent history and was playing alongside a few other high-round draft picks who were also sucking, which means to me that it may not have been the players' talent that was lacking.

Yes they are! I live in the Bay Area. They haven't been clamoring to get rid of the biggest problem with the Raiders-

Senile Al Davis.

For every fan who has ever been right about a player's potential there are 10 who have been terribly wrong.

And yes, Raider fans are much dumber than Bills fans.

"As a Bills fan, you knew Mike Williams sucked, and would suck in Jacksonville, even though they thought he might be good. Why is this any different? Are Raider fans dumber than Bills fans? "

Jax just compounded their complete and total status of INVALID on the subject of the OL by paying up for Tony Pashos, a stiff fat tub of goo who got royally abused in the playoffs by the Jags chief divisional rival, the Colts. Ah, yes, the Ravens "only" allowed 2 sacks that game. Great. Did Steve McNair have all sorts of time in the pocket, or was he constantly forced to step up because Pashos could not handle Mathis off the edge?

It is nice to know that even in NFL FO's, the same idiocy that reigns supreme here exists:

BIG=GOOD

pass protection skills = parroting the sacks allowed stat, and hence by that measure Pashos is better than Jon Ogden. Gee, I wonder which one, Ogden or Pashos, got more help from TEs and FBs....

ATTN: CHICKEN LITTLE CRACKHEAD BRIGADE

YOU DO NOT KNOW MORE THAN A PROFESSIONAL STAFF OF A PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL TEAM. I DON'T CARE HOW MIND NUMBINGLY ADEPT YOU ARE WITH YOUR TIVO REMOTE AND HOW WELL YOU CAN PAUSE ON THE EXACT RIGHT MOMENT DURING 4X FAST FORWARD. YOU MUST THINK THE BUFFALO BILLS STAFF OF SCOUTS AND COACHES JUST GRADUATED FROM A HOOKED ON PHONICS READING PROGRAM IF YOU THINK THEY WOULD THROW 25 MILLION DOLLARS AT A PLAYER FOR NO GOOD REASON AND WITHOUT SIGNIFICANT AND EXHAUSTIVE RESEARCH. YOU ARE ALSO THE SAME RETARDS WHO BITCHED FOR A MONTH ABOUT "CASH TO THE CAP" AND HOW WE WEREN'T GOING TO THROW MONEY AT ANY PLAYERS BECAUSE RALPH IS A CHEAPSKATE. SO STFU AND WAIT TO SEE THE MAN ACTUALLY PERFORM IN A NEW SYSTEM, WITH NEW COACHES, AND NEW TEAMMATES. I WOULD LIKE TO STOP HOLDING DOWN THE SHIFT BUTTON FOR THE CAPS AS WELL SO JUST INDULGE ME, THANKS.

ATTN: CHICKEN LITTLE CRACKHEAD BRIGADE

YOU DO NOT KNOW MORE THAN A PROFESSIONAL STAFF OF A PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL TEAM. I DON'T CARE HOW MIND NUMBINGLY ADEPT YOU ARE WITH YOUR TIVO REMOTE AND HOW WELL YOU CAN PAUSE ON THE EXACT RIGHT MOMENT DURING 4X FAST FORWARD. YOU MUST THINK THE BUFFALO BILLS STAFF OF SCOUTS AND COACHES JUST GRADUATED FROM A HOOKED ON PHONICS READING PROGRAM IF YOU THINK THEY WOULD THROW 25 MILLION DOLLARS AT A PLAYER FOR NO GOOD REASON AND WITHOUT SIGNIFICANT AND EXHAUSTIVE RESEARCH. YOU ARE ALSO THE SAME RETARDS WHO BITCHED FOR A MONTH ABOUT "CASH TO THE CAP" AND HOW WE WEREN'T GOING TO THROW MONEY AT ANY PLAYERS BECAUSE RALPH IS A CHEAPSKATE. SO STFU AND WAIT TO SEE THE MAN ACTUALLY PERFORM IN A NEW SYSTEM, WITH NEW COACHES, AND NEW TEAMMATES. I WOULD LIKE TO STOP HOLDING DOWN THE SHIFT BUTTON FOR THE CAPS AS WELL SO JUST INDULGE ME, THANKS.

To use one of my favorite lines from Blazing Saddles - " Now who can argue with that? "

I agree it's funny that everybody called Ralph out for being too frugal and saying he won't spend any money, and as soon as he does now we overpaid for everybody. Look around the NFL, the money being tossed around is sick, whatever we sign guys for,that's their going rate. End of story. Love the Dockery pick, he's young, and brings a new element to our line. As for Walker, look, I remember him coming out of Cal,l and the story was for a guy 6 foot 8 and 340 some odd pounds, he just doesn't play like it. Playing for the Raiders probably doesn't help, but, this guy has underchieved for the most part and giving him 5 years and 25 million worries me. Is he another Mike Williams? Minus the top 5 hype? Now we'll see what McNally can do, Marv has given him plenty to work with. I just hope Walker and do his part.

I agree it's funny that everybody called Ralph out for being too frugal and saying he won't spend any money, and as soon as he does now we overpaid for everybody. Look around the NFL, the money being tossed around is sick, whatever we sign guys for,that's their going rate. End of story. Love the Dockery pick, he's young, and brings a new element to our line. As for Walker, look, I remember him coming out of Cal,l and the story was for a guy 6 foot 8 and 340 some odd pounds, he just doesn't play like it. Playing for the Raiders probably doesn't help, but, this guy has underchieved for the most part and giving him 5 years and 25 million worries me. Is he another Mike Williams? Minus the top 5 hype? Now we'll see what McNally can do, Marv has given him plenty to work with. I just hope Walker and do his part.

That is the point of the day. It is time for McNally to put up or shut up. Levy gave him the tools and took away any excuses.

As for Walker, look, I remember him coming out of Cal,l and the story was for a guy 6 foot 8 and 340 some odd pounds, he just doesn't play like it. Playing for the Raiders probably doesn't help, but, this guy has underchieved for the most part and giving him 5 years and 25 million worries me. Is he another Mike Williams? Minus the top 5 hype? Now we'll see what McNally can do, Marv has given him plenty to work with. I just hope Walker and do his part.

Yup. Even if Walker is a dog with fleas, he is coming to a team that made Terrence Pennington look like an NFL right tackle. Who imagined that to be possible ? In big, young, and overpaid, we trust.

I think what it comes down to is talent, size (and athletic ability), will, coaching, the players around you, and character. They are somewhat interchangeable as far as importance, and all pretty close. Inconsistency should never be confused with will. There are players that work pretty hard but just are inconsistent. And there are other minor elements with importance also.

I know for a fact, because he said it straight to a friend of mine, that McNally has felt that the Bills simply lacked the talent on the OL the last few years. He has always said he's not a miracle worker. Jason Peters, while surely a freak, seems to have all of those elements to be a very good to great player. He has talent, combined with size, will, coaching, and seems to have pretty good character. It seems like he rose above the "players around you" element, which is hard to do.

I think what they see in Langston Walker is a player who has a lot of talent, great size, will, has had bad coaching, terrible players around him, and good character. He went to Cal, I assume he's smart. Listening to him in the press conference, he seemed like a good sound guy. He was drafted pretty high. I guarantee that they think with good coaching and better players around him, he will blossom.

There is also simply zero chance that they saw the same things a lot of fans see when watching a game on TV and not concentrating on one particular player. There is zero chance that John Guy and the personnel department and Jauron and Fairchild and McNally and Marv watched hour after hour of Langston Walker getting beat and then went out on day one and signed him to a 25 million contract.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this line play.

I think what it comes down to is talent, size (and athletic ability), will, coaching, the players around you, and character. They are somewhat interchangeable as far as importance, and all pretty close. Inconsistency should never be confused with will. There are players that work pretty hard but just are inconsistent. And there are other minor elements with importance also.

I know for a fact, because he said it straight to a friend of mine, that McNally has felt that the Bills simply lacked the talent on the OL the last few years. He has always said he's not a miracle worker. Jason Peters, while surely a freak, seems to have all of those elements to be a very good to great player. He has talent, combined with size, will, coaching, and seems to have pretty good character. It seems like he rose above the "players around you" element, which is hard to do.

I think what they see in Langston Walker is a player who has a lot of talent, great size, will, has had bad coaching, terrible players around him, and good character. He went to Cal, I assume he's smart. Listening to him in the press conference, he seemed like a good sound guy. He was drafted pretty high. I guarantee that they think with good coaching and better players around him, he will blossom.

There is also simply zero chance that they saw the same things a lot of fans see when watching a game on TV and not concentrating on one particular player. There is zero chance that John Guy and the personnel department and Jauron and Fairchild and McNally and Marv watched hour after hour of Lngston Walker getting beat and then went out on day one and signed him to a 25 million contract.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this line play.

Well said, Kelly. I as well am eagerly looking forward to seeing this new revamped line in action.